British WWI Fighter as flown by an American volunteer

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre

After a few false starts and much waiting the display model of the plane flown by George "Tommy" Thomson has finally been completed. Built by Michael Moore this plane represents the borrowed aircraft Thomson flew on the evening of June 12, 1918 when he was attacked by a flight of German Pfalz fighter aircraft from Jasta 16. Tommy had to fly this SE5a as his personal plane had been damaged the night before when a member of another squadron who was returning from a night sortie accidently landed his plane on top of Thomson's damaging it to the point were it was unserviceable. This borrowed plane is pictured as if it was under repair to illustrate the potential problems that Thomson encountered as he went on patrol that evening.

In Thomson' words;

Because of the sporadic, but occasionally effective, moonlight bombing by the Germans, the planes at our airfield were parked along the hedge of a pasture at night, while we twenty or so pilots had been trundled off some distance away to sleep in an abandoned chateau. We shared our airfield with the 4th Australian Squadron, who flew Camels and did night interceptor work. While coming in from patrol the night before, one of the Aussies missed his mark and set his kite down on my SE5. So, on this patrol I had to use a borrowed plane which began to prove sluggish and I fell behind in my flight.

Unaware of my plight, Clements and Swazi continued on while I engaged in the ancient debate between valor and wisdom. I found that by zooming, I could finally get my plane up to 17,000 feet. I was congratulating myself on reaching them when Clements for reasons unknown to me, put his nose down and did not pull out until I had lost some 5000 feet of hard earned height. He started up again and I attempted to follow, but couldn’t reach him. I had just about decided that the best place for a lame engine was in our shop when out of the sun came four Fokkers. I was cut off from our lines and my mates. The jig was up and I sailed recklessly into them and open up with my Vickers with the aluminum clips from the belt sailing past me in a stream.

The rest of the story and Thomson's uniforms and artifacts can be viewed on this thread posted in the "Groupings" section.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=29504&hl=

post-3356-1324312483.jpg

Croix de Guerre
After a few false starts and much waiting the display model of the plane flown by George "Tommy" Thomson has finally been completed. Built by Michael Moore this plane represents the borrowed aircraft Thomson flew on the evening of June 12, 1918 when he was attacked by a flight of German Pfalz fighter aircraft from Jasta 16. Tommy had to fly this SE5a as his personal plane had been damaged the night before when a member of another squadron who was returning from a night sortie accidently landed his plane on top of Thomson's damaging it to the point were it was unserviceable. This borrowed plane is pictured as if it was under repair to illustrate the potential problems that Thomson encountered as he went on patrol that evening.

In Thomson' words;

Because of the sporadic, but occasionally effective, moonlight bombing by the Germans, the planes at our airfield were parked along the hedge of a pasture at night, while we twenty or so pilots had been trundled off some distance away to sleep in an abandoned chateau. We shared our airfield with the 4th Australian Squadron, who flew Camels and did night interceptor work. While coming in from patrol the night before, one of the Aussies missed his mark and set his kite down on my SE5. So, on this patrol I had to use a borrowed plane which began to prove sluggish and I fell behind in my flight.

Unaware of my plight, Clements and Swazi continued on while I engaged in the ancient debate between valor and wisdom. I found that by zooming, I could finally get my plane up to 17,000 feet. I was congratulating myself on reaching them when Clements for reasons unknown to me, put his nose down and did not pull out until I had lost some 5000 feet of hard earned height. He started up again and I attempted to follow, but couldn’t reach him. I had just about decided that the best place for a lame engine was in our shop when out of the sun came four Fokkers. I was cut off from our lines and my mates. The jig was up and I sailed recklessly into them and open up with my Vickers with the aluminum clips from the belt sailing past me in a stream.

The rest of the story and Thomson's uniforms and artifacts can be viewed on this thread posted in the "Groupings" section.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=29504&hl=

post-3356-1324312574.jpg

Beautiful! :thumbsup:

It has always been my favourite WWI fighter. I have two models of this fighter (1/72 and 1/48) but have no time to do them. :crying:

What scale is your model?

Croix de Guerre

I ended up hireing model maker named Mike Moore about a year ago and I tell you it was worth the wait! Mike's patience, kindness and attention to detail has made this entire project a dream. I am having a small brass plaque engraved with the details and I will be presenting it to the pilot's son for Christmas.

I ended up hireing model maker named Mike Moore about a year ago and I tell you it was worth the wait! Mike's patience, kindness and attention to detail has made this entire project a dream. I am having a small brass plaque engraved with the details and I will be presenting it to the pilot's son for Christmas.

Tom, As I have stated before, This model is stunning. Good for you. Thanks for sharin'

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Custermen,

Great job, :thumbsup: thank you for providing the detailed pictures of the engine and the instrument panel they provide me with inspiration and ideas for my own projects. ;)

John