Col. Daniel Lord Baldwin, III Medals Grouping US Army Airborne & Special Forc

warpath

Col. Daniel Lord Baldwin, III Medals Grouping...US Army Airborne & Special Forces Vietnam...I have his Korean War and Vietnam medals and long before I owned them I had just the documents which I sold or traded at a Max show years before (never thought I'd own the medals and I couldn't buy anything from the person who had the rest of his items)...His grouping was sold piece meal to me and another collector who sold all he had to someone else...Anything related to Col. Baldwin is of interest, but if someone finds the owner of the medal documents please let me know..Generous finder's fee for successful lead. Thanks, Ed

This man was the real deal! 2 Silver Stars/6 Purple Hearts/4 Bronze Stars for Valor/5 Air Medals

Both Combat jumps with the 187th RCT in Korea...MACV-SOG Area Commander Khe Sahn during the Battle of Lang Vei

post-3653-1320453380.jpg

Col. Daniel Lord Baldwin, III Medals Grouping...US Army Airborne & Special Forces Vietnam...I have his Korean War and Vietnam medals and long before I owned them I had just the documents which I sold or traded at a Max show years before (never thought I'd own the medals and I couldn't buy anything from the person who had the rest of his items)...His grouping was sold piece meal to me and another collector who sold all he had to someone else...Anything related to Col. Baldwin is of interest, but if someone finds the owner of the medal documents please let me know..Generous finder's fee for successful lead. Thanks, Ed

This man was the real deal! Silver Star/Distinguished Flying Cross/6 Purple Hearts/4 Bronze Stars for Valor/5 Air Medals

Both Combat jumps with the 187th RCT in Korea...MACV-SOG Area Commander Khe Sanh during the Battle of Lang Vei

Medals Ribbons

post-3653-1320454095.jpg

This man was the real deal! Silver Star/Distinguished Flying Cross/6 Purple Hearts/4 Bronze Stars for Valor/5 Air Medals

Both Combat jumps with the 187th RCT in Korea...MACV-SOG Area Commander Khe Sahn during the Battle of Lang Vei

Here's Baldwin's French parachute brevet (a duplicate unfortunately). I also have a document awarding him a French Indochina unit insignia, which I'm looking for.

For Ed, we can get this back together again at the Raleigh Show in january.

post-293-1320457021.jpg

thats a great grouping! those engraved medals are killer!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: the ribbon rack is also pretty awesome! :w00t:

Philip

Here is my small grouping of LtC Baldwin material.

post-3151-1320525425.jpg

Tan dress shirt has all direct embroidery color insignia. Second award Combat Infantryman Badge, Master Parachutist Wing with Combat Jump Star and South Vietnamese Parachute Instructor (sometimes called a HALO) Badge. Major rank and Infantry branch insignia at collars.

His South Vietnam Airborne Beret and plaque.

Loose on the uniform are his metal South Vietnamese HALO wing and a Montagnard bracelet. Lastly, in the background is the framed award certificate for the aforementioned badge. The badge was awarded in 1963 and the certificate was framed in Thailand.

Some closer shots to follow.

Uniform shirt showing better detail of the embroidery work. The bracelet and badge. Obviously this material is from the period prior to his promotion to Lieutenant Colonel.

post-3151-1320524062.jpg

The professionally framed and matted award certificate. I have only seen three or four of these for the instructor badge. Very hard to find, at least in my limited experience.

post-3151-1320524292.jpg

Uniform shirt showing better detail of the embroidery work. The bracelet and badge. Obviously this material is from the period prior to his promotion to Lieutenant Colonel.

That is actually a lieutenant colonel oak leaf embroidered on the shirt. If he was a major when he wore that shirt, the oak leaf would be gold. The oak leaf on this particular shirt seems to be silver, so this would be his lieutenant colonel shirt.