Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

Here's very fine still, one from a very little known movie, it stars Lee Marvin in what I believe was his first major role, from 1952 Eight Iron Men. I seen this three times once in the late 60s and mid 70s when I was a kid, and the third time on Turner Classic Movies about in 2006. Of note is the broad Rubber inner tube band on his pot.

post-34986-1343698391.jpg

Here's very fine still, one from a very little known movie, it stars Lee Marvin in what I believe was his first major role, from 1952 Eight Iron Men. I seen this three times once in the late 60s and mid 70s when I was a kid, and the third time on Turner Classic Movies about in 2006. Of note is the broad Rubber inner tube band on his pot.

"Eight Iron Men" is one of my all-time favorites, but your picture of Marvin is from the "Bridge at Chalons" episode of the Combat TV series.

In the "spirit" of the thread topic, if not to the letter, while looking up some of these movies on IMDB, the Internet Movie Database, I found a 12 page list of war movies arranged by user ratings, high to low. No doubt amongst these movies you will find several you have not seen, and some you like but forgot all about. Each of these movies has a section called "DID YOU KNOW...", under which you can find "Trivia" about the making of the movies; and also an area just for "Goofs". Here you can notify the world that the buttons on such-and-such a tunic was two shades off in color, and the threads were sewn box-wise instead of cross-wise, thereby ruining the reality of the movie for you. But, I think you will find it enjoyable, and learn a lot about the making of the movies and the stars who acted in them.

See: http://www.imdb.com/list/RA6D_dhsP-Y/

Also you can see lists of WWI MOVIES OLD and NEW: http://www.imdb.com/list/PwnNOEMrH_w/

and WWII MOVIE TIMELINE: http://www.imdb.com/list/UKAt1E8ul88/

I particularly enjoy the movies made during WWII because they are super corny, but inspired tens of thousands of Americans to join up and do their part in the war effort; besides helping to sell War Bonds. Enjoy! My favorite television helmet is attached.

post-8025-1343774270.jpg

Mike

Found this a still from Here to Eternity, Burt Lancaster and a unidentified actor, Lancaster doing what we would see later in the 60s early 70s in Sgt Rock comics, firing a M1919 .30 by holding it by the barrel, in any event both wear the the M1917 helmets, they seem to be the real one's, Lancasters chinstrap is a light Brown or natural undyed one.

post-34986-1344056171.jpg

• 1 month later...

Found this one, worn by a chacactor from the movie The Big Red One, note the very odd chin strapes, very THICK webb, almost what one would see in as pack strapes.

post-34986-1347513440.jpg

Found this one, worn by a chacactor from the movie The Big Red One, note the very odd chin strapes, very THICK webb, almost what one would see in as pack strapes.

As some filming for "BRO" was done in Israel, and as Israel used quantities of ex-US equipment adapted to their own needs, it could be that this M1 was supplied by the Israelis?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

An image from the 1949 movie Home Of The Brave with Lloyd Bridges, James Edwards, Frank Lovejoy et al, We see in both photos the USMC Camouflage Cover being worn, strange these men were Army Soldiers. A movie that takes place in the South Pacific presumably towards the end of the Solomons Campaign like late 43 into the winter of 1944, it can be in theory these troops may have begged borrowed, or stolen these Gyrine Covers :D

post-34986-0-88789100-1362687138.jpg

post-34986-0-25093200-1362687171.jpg

• 1 month later...

A D-Day Swivel Bail Sighting :o

Nah it's just George Segal wearing the pot he was given by wardrobe in the movie The Longest Day, hey George, why didn't you tell the wardrobe guy that swivel bails wern't worn yet on D-Day? :lol:

post-34986-0-58390600-1365659782.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got the Combat Season One DVD out since this thread got bumped. Good fun looking at the first couple episodes. It's kind of amazing to see the level of detail they go to considering it was a TV show.

The Lt and the Sarge when both were Sergeants on D-Day

Snap2_zps1ef6a457.jpg

What no camo cover on the Sarge?

Snap7_zps5819bb33.jpg

Season one's medic helmet

Snap9_zpse31e04d0.jpg

Helmet net anyone?

Snap12_zps55c9e7ea.jpg

The Lt. before the Lt.

Snap13_zps476ec77e.jpg

Note the remnants of the "Battleground" 327th GIR marking on the Sarge's helmet. They show up fairly often. Guess we know where they went after Battleground.

Snap14_zps0125e3ed.jpg

Those suggesting the LT.s helmet had no liner and was a mock up. Nah!

Snap15_zpsf48df9f8.jpg

Anyone who was a kid when I was back when Combat was on TV wanted this helmet. Wonder where it ended up?

Snap3_zps8bedf922.jpg

Another helmet with the "Battleground" 327th GIR marking showing a bit.

Snap7_zpsea0dc74a.jpg

The Lt. Front and back.

Snap6_zps0c756581.jpg

Snap5_zpsbfc7bb75.jpg

A couple other helmets from the show

Snap4_zps9712458d.jpg

Tab Hunter

Snap2_zpsa14ae1e3.jpg

Hmm. OK season one they were real steal pots. After that fiberglass. All those childhood dreams shattered!

"By second season, Beau Vanden Ecker provided special fiberglass helmets for the cast and the stunt doubles, replacing the authentic steel helmets. Vic Morrow's helmet was covered with authentic camo parachute silk used in the European Theater — some soliders in Normandy used the freely available fabric on their helmets. It is not a Marine Camo helmet.

In the December 1983 issue of TV Collector, Rick Jason said "Our helmets were custom made because the steel pots can press your vertebrae after wearing 'em for about sixteen hours a day ... They cost 115 bucks a copy then. I've still got mine. My boots had to be made-to-order because I wear a size 13 shoe." The fiberglass helmets, though comfortable for the actors, caused problems during shooting. When running and jumping into a foxhole, the actors would go one way and the helmet would go the other."

Never noticed as a kid, and only bought season one on DVD. I plead a lack of further seasons! It does explain why the "Battleground" hand me downs disappeared though :)

HolyHappiness

Let's not forget the aviators ;)

Flying Leathernecks

Flying+Leather.jpg

FL3.jpg

Midway

nwNacPsi84wVRKTKBTtBmQ0BeKj.jpg

The Right Stuff

f0hl.jpg

57qa.jpg

And finally The Memphis Belle

jqr8.jpg

8rbo.jpg

-Nathan

How about the unforgettable John Lithgow's Lord John Whorfin's M38 Tanker helmet in Bukaroo Banzai!!....mike

attachicon.giflithgow.jpg

yeah, especially mixed with early RAF Mk III flying goggles! :blink:

Rick

Ok Holy Happiness, I'll play along with you.

Bill Holden wear a cool Los Angeles Rams like painted Flight Helmet in Bridges at Toko-Ri, sorry if I can't not ID the model flight helmet, I am not up on my Navy Flight Helmets, only Army chopper ones.

post-34986-0-23487400-1371546340.jpgpost-34986-0-73993800-1371546352.jpg

HolyHappiness

It seems like only Korea makes war movies about Korea these days. I'd like to see some modern film giving tribute to "the forgotten war".

I's like to see South Korea re-make "The Steel Helmet", with CGI battle scenes/aircraft/tanks. I nominate Bruce Willis as Sgt Zack and Seth Rogen as "Fat Paul".

• 9 months later...

The helmets of Richard Jaeckel, Guadlcanal Diary and the Dirty Dozen, the White MP liner looks like a goof, I'm not seeing the front grommet, indicating it's the late 50s-early 60s model.

post-34986-0-73945200-1395239139.jpgpost-34986-0-26421400-1395239108.jpgpost-34986-0-55524400-1395239154.gif

A M17 helmet worn by the Navy Kid, and another of the Califorina National Guardsman Tanker played by Dezi Arnez in the movie BATAAN, did they have British type nets in 1941 in the Philippines ? :D

I remember a scene when a soldier picks up his helmet you can see the liner and it looked like a British style WWII liner made of shiny black material, it didnt look like the WW1 liner or the tan M1917A1 liner