machete

m1tommygun

I was with my father at an antique tractor show this weekend and picked up a beautiful machete for cheap. The blade is in real good shape, other than having been painted gold at one time. The problem it the plastic grips. They are covered in friction tape and are in very bad shape. Does anyone know if there are replacements to be had? I believe it is Brit proof marked, but I know it was used by US forces. Does anyone know if the blade had any kind of finish on it, or was it left plain steel? Some pictures

post-9604-1318971697.jpg

post-9604-1318971718.jpg

post-9604-1318971727.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

Personaly I like the look of the friction tape. Why "restore" it when you can keep it as it is with the original field repair?

The problem with the handle under the tape is it is crumbling and falling out of the back side in small pieces. I too, like the friction tape look, but the handle underneath is in such bad shape it would be difficult to do anything with it without the handle rivets eventually biting into your hands.

......... show this weekend and picked up a beautiful machete for cheap...........

If it was beautiful at the time you purchased it.........what has changed?

Maybe it is better left alone... :think:

It is beautiful, but I would like to make it look spectacular. To me it is something that does not have a great value that I can try to restore. That is all.

Corpl. Cleaver

Just clean up the blade for now, and see how it looks. Unless you plan on using it the grip is fine and looks great to me.

I would much rather have a "messed up" all original peice than a messed-with but nice looking one.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I think that is a British Pattern-1944 Machete? I think I can make out a Broad Arrow (British Govt. Property Marking) and I think the "AF" part number is another give away. Anyway, neat thing to have, I have one as well, as I'm more into British items. I do think that the British Pattern-1944 Machete was patterned off of the US Model-1942 Machete? Anyway, hope that sheds some light.

Thanks

Mark

I believe it is Brit proof marked, but I know it was used by US forces.

M1TG,

What's the source of your information regarding this British machete being used by U.S. forces? I can find no reference to that effect and it's not marked "U.S." For example, the Australians supplied U.S. armed forces, but they were marked "U.S." as per U.S. military specifications.

I think that is a British Pattern-1944 Machete? I think I can make out a Broad Arrow (British Govt. Property Marking) and I think the "AF" part number is another give away. Anyway, neat thing to have, I have one as well, as I'm more into British items. I do think that the British Pattern-1944 Machete was patterned off of the US Model-1942 Machete? Anyway, hope that sheds some light.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

It is actually a British Pattern AF 0100. See Ron Flook's "British and Commonwealth Military Knives," page 110, for more details. It was introduced along with the AF 0101 sheath with the Pattern 1944 webbing. To hang it from the 44 Pattern belt eyelets, the sheath had U.S.-style belt hooks in addition to the belt loop, but I have never seen that it was used by U.S. troops in a "formal" manner. If you are "more into British items," you must get Flook's book.