• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

This is the first POW grouping to a US Army Ranger I have ever found so I thought I would post it. I found this on EBay this week for the paltry sum of $50 . Who says there are no good deals on Ebay!

This group belonged to a Sgt from Co A and C , 1st Ranger Bn who was captured Jan 30,1944 at Cisterna . The Rangers suffered great losses in this action during the Anzio campaign.

He took part in the 1st Ranger Bns actions in North Africa and Sicily before he was captured and became a POW. He spent the rest of the war in Stalag IIIB.

ranger_scrapbook.JPG
ranger_article.JPG

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 16 November 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#2 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

Newspaper article about his capture.

ranger_article_2.JPG

#3 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

These next few posts are copies of all the V-Mail letters he mailed before he was captured

ranger_no_date.jpg
ranger_052243.jpg

#4 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

More

ranger_072943.jpg
ranger_81743.jpg

#5 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

More

ranger_091943.jpg
ranger_101643.jpg

#6 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

More

ranger_101943.jpg
ranger_102243.jpg

#7 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Here are the POW postcards he mailed from Stalag IIIB in Germany. What a way for a Ranger to spend the rest of the war http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif

ranger_pow_cards_front.jpg

#8 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

The reverse

ranger_pow_cards_back.jpg

#9 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

This is a US Army Signal Corps " Telegram " he sent to his parents right after he was liberated .

ranger_telegram.jpg

#10 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

This is my favorite item in the group. It is a letter from a T/Sgt who served with George and was sent to his brother. It describes some of the actions they were in and their service together.

ranger_letter.jpg

Edited by Schottzie, 17 November 2007 - 07:21 AM.

#11 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

Page 2

ranger_letter2.jpg

#12 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

This is for the patch collectors! In the scrapbook are numerous newspaper clippings about the Rangers. I couldnt resist taking a picture of this 1st Ranger Bn Arc used in conjunction with a 5th Army patch.

ranger_patch.JPG

#13 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

Here is one way to get past censorship. This card is from George, even though it shows the sender as a US Navy sailor. He must have had the sailor mail the card for him. The location of the card is Nemours Morocco and he wanted his folks to know he was there . The Rangers were there being trained there in preperation for the landings in Sicily a few month later in Sept 1943.

ranger_card.jpg

#14 pmshindy

pmshindy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,704
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Nice Job Kastauffer,

Great score from Ebay and thanks for sharing with us.

pmshindy

#15 R Michael

R Michael
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,387
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

Very nice ebay pickup! I find it still a fertile hunting ground if you know what your looking at. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#16 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Kurt,
That is one IMPRESSIVE group of paper. Congrats!
One thing though- the Rangers never wore there patches like that so I think the news clipping might be a fake. Pity! :lol:
Allan

#17 Laury Allison

Laury Allison
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,365
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:01 AM

Very nice grouping there. My Dad worked with a man several years ago who was a member of the 1st Ranger Battalion (Darby's Rangers) and was captured at the same time as your man. I believe he was in the same POW camp as your guy too.

It was an honor to have known him and I still consider him to be the toughest man I have ever known. He gave me one of his 1st Ranger Battalion scrolls several years ago. I wouldn't take anything for it! The last time I saw him was a few years ago and he had just gotten his medals from St Louis....he had never received them or hadn't kept up with them over the years. He wanted to show me the medals he had gotten and was going to have them framed. I showed him and his wife the order they should go in and put his ribbon bar together for him. He had pulled out his Ike jacket from the closet with the 1st Ranger Scroll on the right shoulder and the Infantry School patch on the left. I think it had corporal stripes on it....he said they would take them away from him, but never would take the unit patches. :lol: He had several reductions in rank and had to be promoted back to sergeant once so he could afford to pay his fines. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/laughing1.gif

He would tell some wild stories and I never doubted a one of them. I never asked him about anything, but always just let him talk about what he wanted to share. I've seen him dig shrapnel that had worked it's way to the top out of his arm with his pocket knife. He had been wounded by mortar fire when he was captured and never was treated by a doctor for his wounds.

He was one tough man and is still one of my (and my Dad's) greatest heroes I've ever had the honor of knowing. Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago...I still think of him often. RIP George....Rangers Lead The Way!

Laury

#18 Laury Allison

Laury Allison
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:03 AM

Here is the 1st Ranger Battalion scroll I mentioned in my previous post. Hope you enjoy!

Laury

Attached Images

• 1stRangerBn.JPG

#19 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

Nice patch and awesome story Laury . Those guys in the 1st Rangers sure did go " to hell and back " .

Kurt

#20 Laury Allison

Laury Allison
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:54 PM

Nice patch and awesome story Laury . Those guys in the 1st Rangers sure did go " to hell and back " .

Kurt

Kurt,

Thanks! Those early Rangers surely did go through hell and back. You can read about what those guys did, but when you have the chance to talk to and know someone who was actually there and did it, it really puts it all in a different perspective. I had a Great-Uncle who was in the 5th Ranger Battalion, but I never knew him as he didn't survive the war. I did find his name on the WWII Ranger Memorial at Fort Benning.

My friend from the 1st Battalion was one of the first group of replacements to Darby's Rangers. He was with them through North Africa until he was captured in Italy. He was repatriated and stayed in the Army for a while afterwards....about 12 years if I remember right. He passed away in 2005, which is actually pretty amazing considering what those guys went through. They sure made some history! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Laury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)