Ship's commission pennant?

In Rear Admiral Ralph Carnahan's grouping I picked up years ago was this pennant. I had an old salt look at it and he figured it was a commission pennant from a submarine due to the excellent condition. That makes sense as the admiral spent almost his entire career (1947-1978) in submarines. It is 48 inches long, swallow-tailed, and made of polyester or nylon. I understand that the commander of a boat that he takes into decommission is allowed to keep the pennant, but I don't see where he ever did that. As near as I can tell, he commanded USS Jallao (SS-368) from 1960-61, USS Robert E. Lee (SSBN-601) from 1964-65, and USS John Marshall (SSBN-611) from 1965-66. After that, he was in staff positions. Is this just a souvenir piece then? Anyone with any ideas, please post!

post-32676-1313441138.jpg

I have one of those. One of the skivvie wavers on my last ship gave it to me. Same size, nylon too. Your Admiral could have gotten it anywhere.

Did he commission any boats?

At every change of command I've attended or seen, the outgoing commanding officer also receives a commissioning pennant as well. Typically, they get fresh new ones like this one, though I've seen a few who get old tattered ones...just depends on the "flavor" of the CO.

Lots of reasons why he'd have it...unfortunately, without it being marked, we'll never know what ship it was from. :(

Dave

I have one of those. One of the skivvie wavers on my last ship gave it to me. Same size, nylon too. Your Admiral could have gotten it anywhere.

Did he commission any boats?

He was a plank owner of USS Skipjack (SSN-585), I posted the plaque in a separate thread. Would have been nice to have "SS-###" written on the end!

As Dave says, every time a ship has a change of command, the out going Captain gets one of these. Again, generally a new one unless he spicifically asks for an old one. On surface ships these last for about two months underway and they are trashed and replaced. I always put the name of the ship on the ones I used for CoC. And of course, we gave them away as souvineres to about any one who wanted one (VIP) or had something to trade.

All Commission Pennants have been the same size, material construction for about 45 years now, all the same.

Steve Hesson

As Dave says, every time a ship has a change of command, the out going Captain gets one of these. Again, generally a new one unless he spicifically asks for an old one. On surface ships these last for about two months underway and they are trashed and replaced. I always put the name of the ship on the ones I used for CoC. And of course, we gave them away as souvineres to about any one who wanted one (VIP) or had something to trade.

All Commission Pennants have been the same size, material construction for about 45 years now, all the same.

Steve Hesson

Thanks for your expert salty knowledge as usual Steve! :thumbsup:

Steve Hesson

Wow, such history is lost rendering what could possibly (should) be a fantastic piece!

This thread underscores my need to tag the pennant and flags I have from my ship.

He was a plank owner of USS Skipjack (SSN-585), I posted the plaque in a separate thread. Would have been nice to have "SS-###" written on the end!

If it came from anywhere that's where my money would be.

If it came from anywhere that's where my money would be.

Actually, it's probably from one of the three boats he was CO of. Just because it's a "commissioning pennant" doesn't mean that they were given out like candy at commissioning ceremonies. ;) Chances are, he was given this after his change of command ceremony on one of the boats. Too bad he didn't write down which one it was.

Dave

Actually, it's probably from one of the three boats he was CO of. Just because it's a "commissioning pennant" doesn't mean that they were given out like candy at commissioning ceremonies. ;) Chances are, he was given this after his change of command ceremony on one of the boats. Too bad he didn't write down which one it was.

Dave

That's one way to look at it but I wasn't attaching any significance to the semantics behind the item. He was a CO 3 times, a plankowner once. I'm a plankowner and that attachment carries a bit more sentiment than just being the next crewmember or next CO. :)

Being a plankowner carries a lot of weight but it should not be compared to being a CO of a Navy ship in any way.

...and he wasn't the CO of the boat he was a plankowner on. Thus, there would be no point in him having one from that boat, unless he wanted it merely for a souvenier.

If that was the case, it would have more sentimental value for him, but as far as increasing in collectable value, it wouldn't in my book versus one he received as CO of the ship.

topdcnut is 100% right...being a plankowner is great, but it doesn't come with the responsibility, authority, and 100% accountability of being the Commanding Officer of a warship...

Dave

...and he wasn't the CO of the boat he was a plankowner on. Thus, there would be no point in him having one from that boat, unless he wanted it merely for a souvenier.

If that was the case, it would have more sentimental value for him, but as far as increasing in collectable value, it wouldn't in my book versus one he received as CO of the ship.

topdcnut is 100% right...being a plankowner is great, but it doesn't come with the responsibility, authority, and 100% accountability of being the Commanding Officer of a warship...

Dave

What Dave said. Plank owners don't just get these. If you know some one (SM :rolleyes: ) and are really nice, we might slip you one. Captains get them when they leave the ship. The ceremoney is that the departing COs pennant is hauled down and passed to him, while the assuming COs pennant is hoisted.

Steve Hesson