2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,550 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

Until November 2007, this pair had been packed away in storage boxes for perhaps 30 or 40 years, mixed in with 15 others EGA's from a Marine officer's career. He enlisted in 1934 so these were not something he would have worn although I am told that this style was actually were worn into the 1920's. They are solid silver. The eagle was made separately and notice that the eagles point the same direction. One piece is missing one of its three wire prongs. To give an idea of the rarity or scarcity of a pair like this (or any other officers EGA's from the 1890's): from 1891 to 1903 the Marines had less than 300 officers at any one time. I believe this type of EGA on shoulder knots was officially used through 1904.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

These are a very interesting pair. The do have all the attributes of those prescribed for use with epaulette, less one feature, the fouled anchor. I wonder were these for staff Officers, since their prescribed wear was a shoulder knot? These were to be a size between the cap and collar emblem.

With the present of the "tag' of silver to fasten the eagle and globe these and the type of construction shown, this type of emblem was first described in 1877 when collar emblems were prescribed for use on the evening dress and mounted on blue cloth. When that emblem changed is likely not known.

There is a distinct possibility these were used on evening dress prior to 1892, or at that time. Since Officer collar emblems did not see the anchor rope until '62, I'm inclined to believe, this was their intended use. I'm humbled, these are truly pristine and a fine resource for the reference section and hope we'll find out definitively their use.

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:53 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion" area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users