7 replies to this topic

#1 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:55 PM

This is the three common sizes of axes encountered during WW2. The layout confirms that the cover with the LTD fastener was intended for use with the camp ax and the cover with the strap was intended for use with the hatchet. I realize that GI's used what they could get and that you see the hatchets with camp ax covers frequently.

QM3_4_1945_1.jpg
QM3_4_1945_2.jpg
QM3_4_1945_3.jpg
QM3_4_1945_4.jpg
QM3_4_1945_5.jpg

#2 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

I see that the Catalog does not mention the leather Camp Axe carriers marked US with the double hook attachment. Wonder why not?

#3 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

That leather cover is what prompted me to take these pics orginally. We were discussing the full size ax and whether the leather cover was used with it. At that time no one could come up with any info on the usage of the leather cover. The best guess we had was that it may have been part of a Pioneer Kit for Engineers or Signal Corps.

#4 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

As regards leather axe cover, I bought one years ago or more this Hotze cover marked US complete with its 1910 hook. Too bad when I asked for knowing more about, the great Webcat said it was an accessory for commercial camping axes. Of course I sold it asap (btw I shipped it before having money and of course I'm still waiting for it). Later I saw on ebay another ad for military leather stuff (possibly a binocular case) marked Hotze. Is it possible Webcat was wrong?

Attached Images

• HOTZE.jpg

#5 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

Maybe, the great Webcat was/is a very knowledgeable guy, as we all know. Does anyone know what his health status is? I wish we could get him contributing on this Forum.

I have two US marked Camp Axes (like that shown in Craig's Catalog post above). Both came to me with the leather style of belt carrier as shown by Artu's post. I think one is marked Hotze (also the maker of the 18" machete scabbards) and I don't recall the maker of the other.

If this Camp Axe and carrier were for Pioneer Kits why would the carrier have a double hook belt attachment? I tend to think of Pioneer Kit stuff as being contained in a chest, but maybe my assumption on that is incorrect.

#6 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:46 AM

Charlie, I agree with what you said completely. I think they were used too and like you say there is no reason for the belt hook if it isn't carried on the belt. The problem is that none of us can find anything about it in a QM catalog. I know I have spent several hours researching it with zero results. Webcat had better access to info that I ever have. He did so much of his research in the national archives.

I too wish he could be healthy again and join the forum. He is a wealth of knowledge.

#7 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:16 AM

Another couple of pic of that medium size ax leather cover. I posted it on ebay when I sold it.

Attached Images

• vendo1.jpg
  • vendo2.jpg
  • vendo3.jpg

#8 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:13 AM

Yes, the great WebCat wrote the great posts but not all were able to admire and respect his great knowledge. Today the WebCat's work of 2-3 years was deleted from one of the ex-best US militaria forums, by the way together with entire subforum WebCat wrote majority of his posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)