Hiding Lockheed during WWII - This is AWESOME!

cmjordan77

A guy sent this to me at work. He knows I love WWII stuff. I have never seen anything like this before. I know that here in Greenville South Carolina out at Donaldson Center Air Force Base, they had Fake homes out next to the AFB and the roof would roll off and 2 huge Anti Aircraft guns would roll out. But this is unbelievable. If anyone else has posted this, I am sorry, but I thought this was Forum worthy.

Let me know,

Thanks

post-2002-1218489790.jpg

post-2002-1218489797.jpg

post-2002-1218489804.jpg

post-2002-1218489811.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Yep, it was a Hollywood backlot masterpiece.

I grew up just a few miles from there and know many folks who worked at Lockheed

brandon_rss18

"No planes in sight, means a winning fight!" I made that up and thought it would be appropriate. :lol: Those are really cool and I really like the last photo. I believe I see one of my beautiful P-38's to the right in the photo.

Considering the poor accuracy record of high-altitude bombing in those days, had there been an attack, the plant probably would have been hit anyway :)

They apparently did this all over - on the West Coast at least. Consolidated Vultee in San Diego had camo nets overhead, but considering they were within spitting difference of most of the fleet moored in San Diego Bay, that was probably would not have been terribly effective.

Here's a photo from Boeing's camo efforts:

boeingcamo.jpg

Hi Gents,

Some time ago I created identical topic here.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2995

Those big nets covering entire American streets, parkings and plants were manufactured (among others) by the people related to Enemy Alien Control Program as can be seen below where the Japanese Americans assemble camo net in a stadium.

post-75-1218794854.jpg

Hello,

Hiding Lockheed during WWII - This is AWESOME!

Not only Lockheed was camouflaged then but also (at least) Vultee and Glenn L. Martin plants.

Very very interesting stuff! That has to be one of the best camouflage attempts made in history.

- Jeff

I agree. It was specific civilian life under cover. Below Baltimore can be seen and the workers arriving at the Glenn L. Martin camouflaged parking space.

Best regards

Greg

post-75-1218883082.jpg

• 2 weeks later...