All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. WWII OD HBT Base Cloth as we see, a goofed Ports of Embarkation.
  3. Today
  4. blademan

Coin Shop Find ... WW2 Fighter Pilot Purple Heart

You did fine! Good call on buying the group!
  5. patches

A New AF Rank?

A one found floating around online.
  6. Government Issue

Norman D. Landing

Thank you for the response! When I saw all the jeeps in the junk depot, I was getting a little deja vu to the scenes from 1946's The Best Years of Our Lives with the B17s. Going through actual pictures of many of the scrappers and designated areas overseas that ended up with fleets of aircraft and vehicles, one starts to note that many of them were from the same units and ended up at the same "recycling centers" where they were processed into metal refuge. That could possibly be the case here. The ones that did make it into the states were jumbled up in random assortments. You could find things that were in Europe and the Pacific tossed together in the middle of nowhere.
  7. Thanks for the reply. It's tough finding good pieces with all the fakes out there.
  8. This identifies itself as being 8th Infantry School, but I have not been able to find any information about it or any other examples. Does anyone know if this is a unit insignia, a qualification badge, or what it is and when it was in use?
  9. This identifies itself as being 8th Infantry School, but I have not been able to find any information about it or any other examples. Does anyone know if this is a unit insignia, a qualification badge, or what it is and when it was in use?
  10. KASTAUFFER

Very nice!!!
  11. Persian Gulf Command

JR Gaunt Jump Wings

Not one I would want in my collection.
  12. gijoeonthego

13. Greetings, Well I might have a bit of a stateside division collection rolling along now. Got a group shot together with my tunics, yardlongs and my new copy of United States Army Depot Brigades in World War I. Spoiler alert: I added a new tunic fresh off Baystate's latest update... I now have an 11th Division-shaped hole in my collection! I will upload better, professional photos of that Wolverine (14th Division) officer's coat very soon. Seems like this stateside stuff has hit me all at once! Best Regards, -J.D.
  14. shadawg

Who can help on this helmet.

No, I didn't sell it on ebay. I had a bud helping me sell. Never knew who the buyer was
  15. kwill

1911 frame stamp ID

Yes, it is a Colt frame and has the Springfield Armory final acceptance stamp. The circled S on the trigger guard means it was reworked by Sedgley, perhaps for the USMC.
  16. SKIPH

Surplus L&C M6 Leather Sheath

thorin6- Bill, I picked one up a few years back with a mint Imperial guard marked that had the stamp ground off. Same as yours the L&C also over stamped with the rosettes, and a broken snap. SKIP
  17. What a great forum this is. Two highly respected members of this forum, known for their expertise in Marine Crops material have made one of my collecting goals a reality. When Ken first posted his Composite helmet to start this thread, I was excited for him, but of course had to commiserate his good fortunate by relating how difficult it has been for me to find one of these helmets. In that post, I related how after about 15 years of collecting painted WWI Marine helmets, I needed only two more (a composite and a purple diamond, 73rd company) to complete my entire collection of WWI marine painted helmets. With some envy, I moved on until a few days later Ken contacted me and offered the composite helmet for sale to me. He was quite gracious, offering the helmet at a very fair price. What a kind gesture, as I know he still actively collects Marine Corps related material. I was ecstatic. Then a day later, Chuck comes along and posts his beautiful 73rd company helmet, the ONLY 73rd company helmet I have ever seen on the market I would consider a one looker. Like Ken, Chuck decided to allow me the opportunity to buy the helmet, at again, a very reasonable price. These two guys are what this forum is all about, un-selfishly helping others reach their collecting goals without taking advantage of anyone. The deal is done, and as of today, I have both helmets in hand and I am one happy camper. I still cant believe after searching hard for both of these helmets the past 6-7 years, they came about within a day of one another. Thanks to both Ken and Chuck, you are both true gentlemen. I believe in Karma guys, and I am sure something each of you is looking for will come your way soon. Here are the helmets side by side. It is interesting to see the distinctive pea green colored shell so recognizable on these Marine composite helmets, and the larger insignia on the front in comparison to most of the other company helmets you find. Thanks again Ken and Chuck! may the collecting Gods smile upon you both!
  18. Here is an image from my collection of it being worn on the Left sleeve.
  19. I am the current caretaker of these two uniforms, bought them off of ebay around when this thread started. Not that it means they are 100%, but neither the patches nor the thread glow under a blacklight. I will attach a better pic of the rating below. Also, I believe that being an unauthorized patch, it may have been placed on whichever sleeve. Or by the same reasoning you see navy jumpers with the SSI or rates on both left and right sleeves. I will also post a picture of a Sailor with the amphibious alligator on his left sleeve.
  20. First time I've seen one of these in the wild. In Bill Walters Book 1, on page 100, sheath number 2 shows an M6 leather sheath that was surplus from L&C's contract. When I picked it up at a local gun show a couple of weeks ago I wasn't sure what it was, until I went to the book. Not sure when these were surplused, as the Army stopped using them in 1943 and went with the M8 scabbards. The first picture shows the sheath, and the second one shows the leather piece that was riveted across the staples. Below that, although indistinct, the L&C marking is over-stamped with "cartwheels" stamps. The third picture shows what came in the sheath. Picked them up for less than $150.
  21. Many thanks - yes, I want to replace the current coms cable with the other one on the left in the picture. Thanks for the tip for Dawn - will try this week end!
  22. GeneralCheese

Odd fixed bale with blue band and red triangles

Also, based on the laundry number, the seller told me the name of a relative that it could be. They were born in 1916, and if someone who has ancestry or another tool would be willing to help I can send the name.
  23. illegitimi non carborundum

1st Lt. Werner ... http://www.4thfightergroupassociation.org/uploads/8/2/0/3/8203817/334_wernerlrweb_a.pdf
  24. Did you take a photo of their USN Beach Bn helmet collection? I sold my Beach Bn helmet to them a few years ago. Was curious if it was on display.
  25. illegitimi non carborundum

26. Thanks for posting. Great photos.
  1. Load more activity