All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. thorin6

Special Forces Blade help

I have one that is named to an AF person, probably a C130 crew member. The blade is basically a Japanese knife/machete used to harvest rice out of the rice paddies. Without provenance it may be hard to tell the difference.
  3. Nancy McCartney

Wounded 3 times with the Armored Infantry

I really enjoyed reading this. My father, Hunter McCartney, was in Company E, 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, of the 3rd Armored “Spearhead” Division, and I am re-tracing his service path. I went to Normandy in October of 2023 and am headed to Germany next month. It's difficult to find the history without really digging, and coming across posts like yours is very helpful - thank you.
  4. And here’s some zoomed in shots of the one you shared from eBay
  5. Yes, I’m more interested in the knife than the scabbard.
  6. ok - my estimate would be around $150 to $200 - need to see the blade edges and better shots of the blade stamping and the scabbard has been messed with (black color). If you only want the knife and you don't want to get a correct scabbard. Others might chime in for a price?
  7. mikedon

Vet bringback Remington 1916 Bayonet

Nice! I have a new book on these. I will try to see if it says anything about that. Nothing better than a knife or bayonet with a story. I have several ID'ed WWII KA-BAR's.
  8. Thanks I appreciate that and yes, it is one I’d like to get, but I like to buy them outright and not go through the whole bidding process. I’m fine with paying what it’s worth but I just don’t wanna keep checking back. I’ll send a message to the seller and make him an offer for a buy it now price to see if he’ll do that. What’s the fair market value for one like this one?
  9. Lt. Walker

A-2 Jacket Purchase

Wow, thank you for the excellent explanation and for the photos. I should’ve mentioned that it isn’t an original A-2, but I’m really glad I asked the question as I really learned good stuff from that one post. In any event, the only photo I have that shows the color is attached. I hope that helps. i have another question, this time about the back of A-2 jackets. I was always under the impression that the backs were smooth and seamless like in the photo. Whenever I saw an A-2 with a seam across the width of the shoulders and down the middle, I thought “farby reproduction.” But then while watching the movie Twelve 0’Clock High, there’s the scene at the beginning when the co-pilot of the just belly-landed Fort, Lt. Bishop, exits and turns to vomit. The back of his A-2 has seams! What gives? Thank you again!
  10. So...I was a brand new 2nd Lieutenant in Germany in 1982. Tours for Company Grade Officer's were typically 36 months. Company Commander's were typically assigned for 18 months (if memory serves). At some point that may have been shortened to 12 months. I think it was 18 months from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant and another 24 months to Captain followed by a return to CONUS for the Officer's Advanced Course. Field Grade Officer's were normally assigned for 24 to 36 months (joint tours were 36 months). Our relationship with our German hosts was very good. FTXes, ARTEPS, REFORGER exercises were also accompanied by the "Lariet Advance" monthly alerts. Maintenance was always a challenge. The M1A1 Abrams was fielded in 1984 (if memory serves). Generally if the US dollar was worth 2 mark 50 pfenigs we broke even for buying on the economy. Summer of 1985 the exchange rate was 3.40 or so for $1. That was good living. Most everyone in Frankfurt lived in stairwell housing...small but comfortable. I remember when I finally grossed $1K per month (my car payment was $90 per month) I was well off. Some tension when a US Army Major was shot by the Russians (near Potsdam) and allowed to bleed to death. I hope this helps answer your questions. I invite any of our veterans to chime in, please add experiences...or correct my faulty memory. Very Respectfully Bill
  11. If you want you can try ebay and set a search for KA-BARS USMC - here is one for sale right now - the scabbard has been died black (WW2 scabbards were brownish color) the condition is good - I would ask the seller is the blade has been sharpened as the pictures could be better to show the blade on both sides https://www.ebay.com/itm/256483220609?itmmeta=01HVW76B28ZRDQPT5M1WJF60F3&hash=item3bb7975c81:g:xo4AAOSwXylmIBip&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAsHZPeSpm%2F0HrUal%2BSk6oL7IbiZS%2Br6b7aAh4tHAyAxnyN61IblQBf7608F8982VYXjeoPEB5RKpLkotPZXxr8%2BON0j6lcUHaqXzjIUIEa8Cy%2BsOW6RZzKOP1kIkARcbcS%2BS5TCf%2FIvCOmUnXfNqieUKCgADwyfQwkMHWMFf9EstFAfvAHORUqjBm4q1%2BRxv1UBhDZ8oHKo9EmSI43cw2gNSS0WApNr5Kq4ciDaQrmIX0|tkp%3ABk9SR5qxmYffYw
  12. Today
  13. Hammer KaBar

Vet bringback Remington 1916 Bayonet

On one side of the Pommel on the hand guard it has Arabic numbers that say 07, and some other Arabic letters
  14. I liberated this 1916 Remington built Bayonet in Iraq in 2004 from its previous Insurgent owner and I was authorized to bring it Home. I’ve recently learned that it’s quite a bit of an anomaly. It’s blade is a pattern 1913 but it’s crossguard is a pattern 1907 so some think it was modified in Iraq to allow it to fit on a SMLE. Interesting… Its sharp and was very functional 88 years after it was made!
  15. mikedon

There is a good article in the Summer 1992 issue of Fighting Knives Magazine by Ben Baker entitled “Evolution of the Special Forces Machete”. Also shown in Mike Silvey's Vietnam Knives book, page 42. Frank Trzaska also had a great article in Knife World Magazine, April 2007, "Special Forces Machetes in Vietnam".
  16. US Army 86

20mm Found While Antiquing

Nice find they look to be in pretty good condition. I’ve bought some unique pieces when I’m out and about I check those little “antique” shop or those shops that have a little of this and a little of that.
  17. So I will continue my search to find an original correct World War II built USMC KA-BAR knife. If anyone’s selling one, send me a message.
  18. manayunkman

Does anyone know the story behind this blade?
  19. Busy now but will get to it ASAP. Do you know the year(s) he was in the 46th?
  20. Photo of BG Phillip E. Gallagher (USMA '15) when he was serving as the Director of Military Posts Division, US European Command. He is inspecting the TMP at Strub Kaserne in Berchtesgaden, Germany in 1949. On the right sleeve of his taupe officer's overcoat he is wearing the SSI for the CBI. It is unusual to see patches worn on the overcoat, but the colonel on the right is wearing what appears to be the insignia of the Constabulary on the left sleeve of his overcoat. Gallager had been the Deputy CG of the Constabulary from May 1947 to January 1948. He had served in China during WWII: 1945-06-16 – 1945-12-17 Commanding General Southern Command, 1st Chinese Combat Command 1945-12-18 – 1946-01-08 Assistant Deputy Commanding General US Forces China Theater 1946-01-13 – 1946-05-05 Liaison Officer for China Theater, Office of the Chief of Staff
  21. Thank you everybody that’s what I thought. The seller is happy to take it back he said. I have 2 Camillus USMC Kabar style knifes that are WW2 built. One has the Camillus NY and USMC on the blade, and the other one has it on the cross guard. I’ve been looking for a KA-BAR USMC knife.
  22. Tony V

Combat Rosaries - Issued?

Elizabeth On the back of the tab says made in Italy Tony
  23. It is a post 1975 reproduction. Frank Trzaska covers these in his "Reproduction Recognition" section of his website. I attached pictures of the markings on a WWII knife. In summary no WWII KA-BAR 1219c2 knife had: -3/8" half pinned pommel -black spacer at guard and pommel -deep struck markings -embossed eagle, globe and anchor marking on the leather sheath http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/reproductions.htm
  24. hello - This is NOT a WW2 knife - look at the pommel and the pin is not through the pommel on both sides. The USMC font is not correct for WW2. The tang should be rectangular and the one shown has rounded edges.
  25. I posted this information and pictures in the reference section, but it doesn’t look like that’s been looked at very often so I’m going to post it on this main edge weapons site. I picked up this USMC K bar last weekend at a military collector show and the longtime knife collector who sold it to me believed it was an original World War II built, knife, I had another long time, knife collector look at it, and he agreed that he thought it also was World War II built. It’s Parkerization, tang in the thick pommel with the pin, showing on one side, and it’s USMC KA-BAR and Orlean,N.Y. Stamps all look like the correct World War II timePeriod stamps, but it’s leather just looks way too new to me and I’m wondering if maybe that had been replaced and the rest of the knife is original World War II built? I haven’t seen any other examples online that have the black spacer at the end of the leather spacers though??? I’ve read about red spacers, but nothing about black spacers being used in World War II.
  26. I picked this up at a military collectors show last weekend and thylongtime collector J got it from said it was a World War II original and I had another long time Knife collector looked at it and he agreed that it was World War II built. But I’ve been doing research and the leather handle just looks way too new. And I don’t see any others that have the black spacers like this one does. It’s USMC KA-BAR, Orlean,N.Y. fonts all look correct, and it’s marketization looks correct, and the tang in the pommel looks correct. Could this be an original leather handle, or do you think someone replaced the leather and the rest of it is original? Really appreciate your thoughts.
  1. Load more activity