All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. And here is the badge a Lieutenant in the Highway Patrol would have used during the 2002 Olympics:
  3. respectingthesacrifice

Strategic Air and Space Museum

Thanks a lot for the tour, amazing museum!
  4. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. WWII German Road block barrier support . . . . . . . A few weeks back I reported that I spotted a WWII German road barrier concrete support on the outskirts of Sainteny as I flashed through the village. I had the opportunity today to stop by and make photographs, it's over on the left side of the road as you enter Sainteny from the Carentan direction. . Originally the wartime road would have been closer to this concrete column, but post war the road has been moved away from the column when the road was widened. Next to the concrete column thrown in the undergrowth maybe what was the metal barrier support from this column, Perhaps another visit and investigation. Another German concrete column one of four still to be seen in Quineville village. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  5. decwriter

Flea Market WWII Purple Heart

For comparison since it has been a few years. First pic is cropped from the original post. The second pic is from the website above.
  6. Today
  7. Pretty clearly USMC non-slit on Okinawa and Iwo. And here is my no slit issued in 44 and worn by Marine in the Philippines. I don't know how anyone can argue or debate that no slit covers were only post war. The younger generation thinks everyone had iPhones and 4k cameras amongst all thousands of marines from 42-45. It is so honestly tiresome explaining the differences between “fact and assumptions” and how the contract/supply and depot systems worked. And it wasn't until just a few months ago the debate over mosquito net versions became a fact that the “non split” bands were issued and made during WWII as well. A box with a contract date un-opened was found. All covers no band split: 1943… oh and theres a photo of what marines never “” did wear an EGA on the cover… this debate will be carried on via fb warriors and people creating new “terms”. Sincerely, Pegasus6
  8. Somewhere here on the forum I posted a green HBT with an Amtrak stenciled on the back. The same Amtrak was also stenciled on his sea bag.
  9. Many years ago when I worked in Carlisle, PA I met Colonel Wood who was the Marine liaison at the US Army War College. In 1975 Wood was the captain who led the mission to retake the Mayaguez. He told me that by the time they boarded the ship it had been abandoned and that the floor of the bridge was covered with little papers each giving a course change. Somewhere I still have one of those course change papers.
  10. illegitimi non carborundum

Flea Market WWII Purple Heart

Is this the same PH discussed here? https://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/wwii-kia-cased-bataan-death-march-purple-heart-of-pfc-jacque-boulton.html
  11. arche-foto.com

U.S. Army Shirts 1900 to 1919

Sorry, the same by another pictures: US uniforms? Or British?
  12. earlymb

Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

Nice pics, the USMC ambulance jeeps were converted by Holden of Australia.
  13. arche-foto.com

U.S. Army Shirts 1900 to 1919

Hello folks, Is that a US uniform in the photo? Or is that British? Thank you and best regards from Germany
  14. Marty - That 2-inch wing on the lower right side is sweet!
  15. jeff41st

Wing grouping

The wings on the left hand side above the glider wings are post-WW2 navigator wings. The command pilot wings are probably post-WW2. The senior pilot wings are probably post-WW2 as well. I have a set of pilot wings in that same pattern that are clutch back. The Meyer pilot wings are WW2 vintage. Should be an interesting research project.
  16. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. The Longest Yarn progresses . . . . . . towards D-Day ' The Longest Yarn ' is still in need of sensors if you check out their website . . . . . . . Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  17. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Sol, It is heavy and appears to be a solid fill shot. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  18. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Bryanj. As you dislike the BeeGee's so much I thought I would give you a few more songs of theirs to dislike . . . . . . . . . hahahaaaaaaaaa. !!! Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  19. gerard

My collection 1/35

thanks you ArtyScout
  20. ArtyScout

My collection 1/35

Nice work on those Sherman tanks. Semper Fi. Manny
  21. P-40Warhawk

M1905 SA 1912 with X10 control stamp ?

Probably went through a rebuild and refinish circa 1918-1920. The marking looks to be stamped before the finish, and neither a 1910 (nor 1906) would have originally been parkerized.
  22. P-40Warhawk

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

It looks like one of the WWII embroidered rates that were made. Typically if you handle enough of them, you will notice the chevron embroidery is thinner than the postwar embroidery. From what I can see, this conforms to what I'd want to see for a wartime embroidered chevron.
  23. Hayman

WW1 Canteen

jprostak, I can’t Thank you enough for finding this information. It is people like you that make this site such a wonderful place. As for Charles Respet, a google search turned up an obituary which had one mention of his Ww2 service and that he served in the Army and served in France. So there is a connection to Charles Respet and France. Now to figure out that 8 digit service number and Buffett…. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to shed some light on possible scenarios. Hayman
  24. KurtA

FMF Signals Opinions

Agree- That wide cut khaki border is a red flag on what should be a WW2 era USMC shoulder patch. And it no doubt glows under a black light based on those non-cotton looking threads on the reverse.
  25. Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/116150523357?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20240114230242%26meid%3D77d5dea62b054653b8e85dd803bb7833%26pid%3D101952%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%26itm%3D116150523357%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DWatchlistVariantWithMLR&_trksid=p4375194.c101952.m162921&_trkparms=parentrq%3A08b00f6f18f0ab4c03df8440ffffef54|pageci%3A70edfabd-0115-11ef-976e-d27b580475ef|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage First of all, have any of you seen one of these jackets with the same stencil on the back? I saw one once 50 years ago and think this may be it. Now, as Paul Harvey would say, "The rest of the story". in the early '70s I set up at a swap meet in Orange County (Calif) with a militaria display, including a WWII Marine green blouse on a form and with a sign which read that I was looking to buy militaria. A WWII Marine vet stopped by and said he had his uniforms he would sell them to me. So I went to his house and he pulled out a pile of uniforms which were his, and I left with literally a sea bag stuffed with these items. A very nice man, as well as his wife. But there were two things he wouldn't sell. One was his dress blues trousers with the NCO stripe which he said he liked to wear around the house on the Fourth of July. The second item was a P-44 jacket with the amtrack image on the back. He like it too much to get rid of then. I really wanted it, but no go. Since that time I've thought now and then of that jacket. So last night I found this on Ebay and recognized it at once. I couldn't believe it, and the name "Cummings" sounds familiar. Now mind you, I saw this vet and jacket half a century ago (dang - hard to imagine!!) , so I couldn't swear in a court of law that this is the same jacket. Which is why I ask if anyone knows of a similar one. I think it's a great jacket. Steve Pictures:
  26. keith d

FMF Signals Opinions

Looks like a newer copy.
  1. Load more activity