All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Chariots of Fire

M-20 Prime Mover

With a bit of down time and a time back at doing some fire apparatus building (put on the back burner) I'm venturing back into the large truck stage of model building. This time I decided on the Diamond T M-20 prime mover that was first designed directly for the British Army during WWII and then was adapted to US use, some of which was during the Red Ball Express supply routes of 1944. There are a couple of good sources of detail materials available for the project. One is Tankograd and the other is a photo book from David Doyle publications. One change I have had to make it to go back to plastic strip stock for the truck frame. Finding good brass channel stock is just about over and KS is not making any more. The frame is in its initial stages having been built up with strip stock for the web and flanges, with some brass add-ons. It will continue to be built up over time. In addition, I have two 3D printed 12:00 x 20 tires in molds that when finished will be used to cast the 10 resin tires. An interesting feature will be building a Hercules diesel engine. Once the truck is done I'll tackle the Rogers trailer. Below is one of the publications and a closeup of the frame with the brass detailing that has been done.
  3. bschwartz

WWII USN Flight Nurse wing variants.

Beautiful collection of some extremely rare wings. There were so few Naval Flight Nurses that there just aren't a ton of these wings floating around. I have never seen the N.S. Meyer made wings before. Thanks for sharing all of these, Russ.
  4. rustywings

A group shot with a little “Navy Nurse Corps” collar insignia garnishment.
  5. rustywings

Note the close similarities between the AMICO and MEYER…
  6. Today
  7. I believe most collectors interested in WWII era USN Flight Nurse wings will agree that those hallmarked by “AMICO” appear to have been the most prevalently produced of these rare and historical badges. “H&H” (Hilborn-Hamburger Inc.) also produced a limited number of Navy Flight Nurse wings during the war… But their infrequency in collections and lack of availability on the market seems to verify they are more scarce than those marked “AMICO.” (You can find very nice images of both “AMICO” and “H&H” variants on Bob’s website ww2wings.com). There’s a third legitimate WWII era USN Flight Nurse wing variation out there with a “N.S Meyer Inc.” small shield hallmark and “1/20 10KGonS” metal content marking. I believe what makes the Meyer variation unique is it was likely produced under a contract between Meyer and AMICO, using AMICO’s existing dies and metal content stamp. I understand that “Robbins Co.” may have produced a limited run of their own Flight Nurse wings with variant design, but I’ve never seen one? Have you? Or any other example(s) from a manufacturer besides AMICO, H-H, or N.S.Meyer’s? Here’s a few images of those three known manufacturers… Top - AMICO. Middle - H-H. Bottom - Meyer.
  8. I sent you a message instead of making this post to big.
  9. Nice photo. The larger bar says “MARKSMAN”. It is the rifle qualification badge that matches the service record book (SRB) entry dated Apr 8 1943. The other badge is the Marine Corps Basic Badge. I’m positive the bar says either “BAYONET”, “EX. BAYONET”, or “EXP. BAYONET”. It matches the SRB entry dated 15 Apr 1943. Always good to see a Marine’s entitlement so neatly documented. Semper Fi, Bruce Linz
  10. Yesterday
  11. thorin6

Special Forces Blade help

I have one that is named to an AF person, probably a C130 crew member. The blade is basically a Japanese knife/machete used to harvest rice out of the rice paddies. Without provenance it may be hard to tell the difference.
  12. Nancy McCartney

Wounded 3 times with the Armored Infantry

I really enjoyed reading this. My father, Hunter McCartney, was in Company E, 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, of the 3rd Armored “Spearhead” Division, and I am re-tracing his service path. I went to Normandy in October of 2023 and am headed to Germany next month. It's difficult to find the history without really digging, and coming across posts like yours is very helpful - thank you.
  13. And here’s some zoomed in shots of the one you shared from eBay
  14. Yes, I’m more interested in the knife than the scabbard.
  15. ok - my estimate would be around $150 to $200 - need to see the blade edges and better shots of the blade stamping and the scabbard has been messed with (black color). If you only want the knife and you don't want to get a correct scabbard. Others might chime in for a price?
  16. mikedon

Vet bringback Remington 1916 Bayonet

Nice! I have a new book on these. I will try to see if it says anything about that. Nothing better than a knife or bayonet with a story. I have several ID'ed WWII KA-BAR's.
  17. Thanks I appreciate that and yes, it is one I’d like to get, but I like to buy them outright and not go through the whole bidding process. I’m fine with paying what it’s worth but I just don’t wanna keep checking back. I’ll send a message to the seller and make him an offer for a buy it now price to see if he’ll do that. What’s the fair market value for one like this one?
  18. Lt. Walker

A-2 Jacket Purchase

Wow, thank you for the excellent explanation and for the photos. I should’ve mentioned that it isn’t an original A-2, but I’m really glad I asked the question as I really learned good stuff from that one post. In any event, the only photo I have that shows the color is attached. I hope that helps. i have another question, this time about the back of A-2 jackets. I was always under the impression that the backs were smooth and seamless like in the photo. Whenever I saw an A-2 with a seam across the width of the shoulders and down the middle, I thought “farby reproduction.” But then while watching the movie Twelve 0’Clock High, there’s the scene at the beginning when the co-pilot of the just belly-landed Fort, Lt. Bishop, exits and turns to vomit. The back of his A-2 has seams! What gives? Thank you again!
  19. So...I was a brand new 2nd Lieutenant in Germany in 1982. Tours for Company Grade Officer's were typically 36 months. Company Commander's were typically assigned for 18 months (if memory serves). At some point that may have been shortened to 12 months. I think it was 18 months from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant and another 24 months to Captain followed by a return to CONUS for the Officer's Advanced Course. Field Grade Officer's were normally assigned for 24 to 36 months (joint tours were 36 months). Our relationship with our German hosts was very good. FTXes, ARTEPS, REFORGER exercises were also accompanied by the "Lariet Advance" monthly alerts. Maintenance was always a challenge. The M1A1 Abrams was fielded in 1984 (if memory serves). Generally if the US dollar was worth 2 mark 50 pfenigs we broke even for buying on the economy. Summer of 1985 the exchange rate was 3.40 or so for $1. That was good living. Most everyone in Frankfurt lived in stairwell housing...small but comfortable. I remember when I finally grossed $1K per month (my car payment was $90 per month) I was well off. Some tension when a US Army Major was shot by the Russians (near Potsdam) and allowed to bleed to death. I hope this helps answer your questions. I invite any of our veterans to chime in, please add experiences...or correct my faulty memory. Very Respectfully Bill
  20. If you want you can try ebay and set a search for KA-BARS USMC - here is one for sale right now - the scabbard has been died black (WW2 scabbards were brownish color) the condition is good - I would ask the seller is the blade has been sharpened as the pictures could be better to show the blade on both sides https://www.ebay.com/itm/256483220609?itmmeta=01HVW76B28ZRDQPT5M1WJF60F3&hash=item3bb7975c81:g:xo4AAOSwXylmIBip&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAsHZPeSpm%2F0HrUal%2BSk6oL7IbiZS%2Br6b7aAh4tHAyAxnyN61IblQBf7608F8982VYXjeoPEB5RKpLkotPZXxr8%2BON0j6lcUHaqXzjIUIEa8Cy%2BsOW6RZzKOP1kIkARcbcS%2BS5TCf%2FIvCOmUnXfNqieUKCgADwyfQwkMHWMFf9EstFAfvAHORUqjBm4q1%2BRxv1UBhDZ8oHKo9EmSI43cw2gNSS0WApNr5Kq4ciDaQrmIX0|tkp%3ABk9SR5qxmYffYw
  21. Hammer KaBar

Vet bringback Remington 1916 Bayonet

On one side of the Pommel on the hand guard it has Arabic numbers that say 07, and some other Arabic letters
  22. I liberated this 1916 Remington built Bayonet in Iraq in 2004 from its previous Insurgent owner and I was authorized to bring it Home. I’ve recently learned that it’s quite a bit of an anomaly. It’s blade is a pattern 1913 but it’s crossguard is a pattern 1907 so some think it was modified in Iraq to allow it to fit on a SMLE. Interesting… Its sharp and was very functional 88 years after it was made!
  23. mikedon

There is a good article in the Summer 1992 issue of Fighting Knives Magazine by Ben Baker entitled “Evolution of the Special Forces Machete”. Also shown in Mike Silvey's Vietnam Knives book, page 42. Frank Trzaska also had a great article in Knife World Magazine, April 2007, "Special Forces Machetes in Vietnam".
  24. US Army 86

20mm Found While Antiquing

Nice find they look to be in pretty good condition. I’ve bought some unique pieces when I’m out and about I check those little “antique” shop or those shops that have a little of this and a little of that.
  25. So I will continue my search to find an original correct World War II built USMC KA-BAR knife. If anyone’s selling one, send me a message.
  26. manayunkman

Does anyone know the story behind this blade?
  1. Load more activity