All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. illegitimi non carborundum

Flea Market WWII Purple Heart

Is this the same PH discussed here? https://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/wwii-kia-cased-bataan-death-march-purple-heart-of-pfc-jacque-boulton.html
  3. arche-foto.com

U.S. Army Shirts 1900 to 1919

Sorry, the same by another pictures: US uniforms? Or British?
  4. Today
  5. earlymb

Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

Nice pics, the USMC ambulance jeeps were converted by Holden of Australia.
  6. arche-foto.com

U.S. Army Shirts 1900 to 1919

Hello folks, Is that a US uniform in the photo? Or is that British? Thank you and best regards from Germany
  7. Marty - That 2-inch wing on the lower right side is sweet!
  8. jeff41st

Wing grouping

The wings on the left hand side above the glider wings are post-WW2 navigator wings. The command pilot wings are probably post-WW2. The senior pilot wings are probably post-WW2 as well. I have a set of pilot wings in that same pattern that are clutch back. The Meyer pilot wings are WW2 vintage. Should be an interesting research project.
  9. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. The Longest Yarn progresses . . . . . . towards D-Day ' The Longest Yarn ' is still in need of sensors if you check out their website . . . . . . . Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  10. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Sol, It is heavy and appears to be a solid fill shot. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  11. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Bryanj. As you dislike the BeeGee's so much I thought I would give you a few more songs of theirs to dislike . . . . . . . . . hahahaaaaaaaaa. !!! Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  12. gerard

My collection 1/35

thanks you ArtyScout
  13. ArtyScout

My collection 1/35

Nice work on those Sherman tanks. Semper Fi. Manny
  14. P-40Warhawk

M1905 SA 1912 with X10 control stamp ?

Probably went through a rebuild and refinish circa 1918-1920. The marking looks to be stamped before the finish, and neither a 1910 (nor 1906) would have originally been parkerized.
  15. P-40Warhawk

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

It looks like one of the WWII embroidered rates that were made. Typically if you handle enough of them, you will notice the chevron embroidery is thinner than the postwar embroidery. From what I can see, this conforms to what I'd want to see for a wartime embroidered chevron.
  16. Hayman

WW1 Canteen

jprostak, I can’t Thank you enough for finding this information. It is people like you that make this site such a wonderful place. As for Charles Respet, a google search turned up an obituary which had one mention of his Ww2 service and that he served in the Army and served in France. So there is a connection to Charles Respet and France. Now to figure out that 8 digit service number and Buffett…. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to shed some light on possible scenarios. Hayman
  17. KurtA

FMF Signals Opinions

Agree- That wide cut khaki border is a red flag on what should be a WW2 era USMC shoulder patch. And it no doubt glows under a black light based on those non-cotton looking threads on the reverse.
  18. Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/116150523357?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20240114230242%26meid%3D77d5dea62b054653b8e85dd803bb7833%26pid%3D101952%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%26itm%3D116150523357%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DWatchlistVariantWithMLR&_trksid=p4375194.c101952.m162921&_trkparms=parentrq%3A08b00f6f18f0ab4c03df8440ffffef54|pageci%3A70edfabd-0115-11ef-976e-d27b580475ef|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage First of all, have any of you seen one of these jackets with the same stencil on the back? I saw one once 50 years ago and think this may be it. Now, as Paul Harvey would say, "The rest of the story". in the early '70s I set up at a swap meet in Orange County (Calif) with a militaria display, including a WWII Marine green blouse on a form and with a sign which read that I was looking to buy militaria. A WWII Marine vet stopped by and said he had his uniforms he would sell them to me. So I went to his house and he pulled out a pile of uniforms which were his, and I left with literally a sea bag stuffed with these items. A very nice man, as well as his wife. But there were two things he wouldn't sell. One was his dress blues trousers with the NCO stripe which he said he liked to wear around the house on the Fourth of July. The second item was a P-44 jacket with the amtrack image on the back. He like it too much to get rid of then. I really wanted it, but no go. Since that time I've thought now and then of that jacket. So last night I found this on Ebay and recognized it at once. I couldn't believe it, and the name "Cummings" sounds familiar. Now mind you, I saw this vet and jacket half a century ago (dang - hard to imagine!!) , so I couldn't swear in a court of law that this is the same jacket. Which is why I ask if anyone knows of a similar one. I think it's a great jacket. Steve Pictures:
  19. keith d

FMF Signals Opinions

Looks like a newer copy.
  20. 32sbct

OG Ranger jacket whats everyones thoughts

Nick 96, I was the owner of that top. It was sold at auction along with the rest of my very large uniform/helmet/web gear collection in late February of this year. When I originally bought it, there were no patches on the uniform. I was putting together examples of all the uniforms used by U.S forces during the Grenada operation. All of the patches on this jacket were sewn on by my wife. This was a long time ago, probably in the mid to late eighties. Sorry to disappoint you on this one. However, they are all period correct and authentic patches.
  21. jprostak

WW1 Canteen

Charles A Respet Johnstown, PA 33 247 883 Army July 1942 - December 1945 overseas 14 months Charles Respet BIRTH 28 Feb 1921 DEATH 28 Jan 2017 (aged 95) BURIAL Saint Joseph Cemetery Geistown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, USAAdd to Map As for the WWI type engraving on the canteen, there are one too many digits in the service number and all "Buffett"s service numbers are not close that I can find right now.
  22. Misfit 45

M1905 SA 1912 with X10 control stamp ?

I didn't buy it, but this one was on ebay many years ago. Is it possible that the mark was put there much later? Marv
  23. USMCR79

USMC Field Artillery Korea 1953

You need a tat !! Bill
  24. Misfit 45

AFH 1943 Uncut Bayonet

Hi, First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase of this M1905 bayonet. If you have been to the "bayonet points" site of Gary Cunningham, then you have a good working knowledge of what you have. One thing he said in his last book, was that the CAB grips were only made by Columbia Plastic Products. I'll show you a pic to make sure that's what you have. The logo is a part circle (a "C") around PP. In your photos, the actual color of the grips did not come through too well. Any time you come across an M1905 with the 1943 date, it will usually come at a slight premium, since they were only made for about 4 months. After that, production stopped and the new M1 bayonet was made, as well as the cut down of all the M1905s they could procure. As for the scabbard, the USN MK i was made for the plastic USN training bayonet. Some say this scabbard was not issued with the M1905 at all, but was paired with them after the war when a lot of military stuff went surplus. I'm not so sure about that. I would not be surprised if the USN scabbard was swapped out as replacement scabbards from time to time. Congrats again on your AFH 1943. Marv
  25. Double_Canister

USMC Field Artillery Korea 1953

I have the other type of M1952 without the grenade loop (different stitching around the shoulders and collar. I've been able to find photos of that type near the ceasefire but not the grenade loop ones which puzzles me as some of the grenade loop examples are clearly labeled to months before the cease fire and at least by outward appearance seem more similar in appearance to earlier vests. I would have thought that the other type would have come later.
  26. moonpig237

Identifying APH-6C

So info that I have gathered so far... Mr. Allanson was a medevac pilot in Vietnam. He served 4 tours there, and retired as a Lt Col after 29 years of service. I have one source on a forum that lists his name as being part of Marine Helicopter Training Group 40 in late 1970, but a google search of MHTG-40 brings up absolutely nothing so I am taking that with a grain of salt. From what I know, the milspec being 22995A (AS) means this helmet is certainly post 1969, so at least im getting a timeframe down. The only thing i lack so far is a direct confirmation that he served with HMM-161, or even that he flew a CH-46 in general. As far as gear that would be appropriate, I can't find any kind of unusual wear or scuffs on area were I'd expect a boom mic to be mounted, and from what I can tell the max service ceiling of the CH-46D is just below the limit of needing an oxygen mask (14k ft?). I assume this ceiling is in place because there is no O2 systems on board?
  27. Does anyone know if the show in Marietta is this weekend. Thanks
  1. Load more activity