All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Ye Connecticut Gun Guild is sponsoring SOME SHOW- Shooting Outdoor Military Expo 2024. May 4-5 This is the old YCGG show that was last held at the Chowder Pot in Hartford before they went out of business. We were finally able to find a new venue for the Spring 2024 show. Robertson Airport 62 Johnson Ave. Plainville CT. 06062 Sat. 9am-5pm Sun. 9am-2pm Plenty of FREE parking - Food vendor on-site. Some of the groups that will be participating: 1st Co. Governors Footguard Geronimo Foundation NSSF CCDL Soldier Solutions There will be helicopter rides offered for a cost. Firearms, militaria and more for sale and trade. Go to https://someshow.org for more information and to print a coupon. Or visit ycgg.org
  3. Today
  4. Capt.Confederacy

VietNam country made patches

Unfortunately, I believe all these to be modern reproductions, not theater made during the Vietnam War. #2, #5 and #6 have computer stitching which wasn't around for patches during the war's time period. #7 has what looks to be an artificial darkening which is commonly seen on modern reproduction patches. (Honestly, I've never understood why people faking patches would darken the very side of the patch which one would logically conclude wouldn't be filthy.) The other 2 just don't look right.
  5. Fiziwater

Atlanta (Marietta) Militaria Show

Its at the IAMAW Union Hall at 1032 S Marietta Parkway (Hwy 120).
  6. Recently acquired these as they were labeled World War II, but after receiving them, I believe they are postwar. The bottom part that slides through the loops on the shoulders is plastic and not leather. I’m curious as to when they started doing this. To give a better idea on how old they are.
  7. P.W.Browning

Atlanta (Marietta) Militaria Show

Yes, the Atlanta show is Friday, April 26 and Saturday, April 27.
  8. mikie

Norman D. Landing

I never knew him but sad to hear that he has passed. My condolences to friends and family.
  9. Sgt Merk

Help with ID of two Pre WW1 Grenades

Thanks to Mr. Lynn, the author of “The Grenade Recognition Manual” the two grenades pictured above have been identified. The cylindrical grenade pictured first is a US Model 2 circa 1917. The segmented grenade pictured second is a US Model 1 circa 1911. Mr. Lynn shared a copy of a 1911 dated manual with the Model 1 pictured that included a description and instructions for its use. The grenades were thrown by grasping the wooden ball and swinging them overhead, like a sling, and released toward the target. It’s amazing to think that the US adopted the 1911 .45 Pistol in the same year that our most advanced grenade was spun and thrown with a piece of rope. The manual is US grenade historical gold! Thanks so much to Mr. Lynn for his assistance. The two grenades are very rare and in fantastic condition for their age.
  10. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Report of the untimely death of a UK military vehicle friend . . . . . . . Mark Hutchins died from a heart attack on the 13th April at the age of 66. Below are details of his funeral service for anyone who knew Mark and wishing to attend. Mark definitely was a larger than life character and anecdotal stories about him are numerous by all that knew him. I first met Mark at a military vehicle event at the Aberdeen proving ground in the 90's he was walking around with Nigel Hay, we all stopped to chat, Nigel asked me how I was getting on at the show, I said the show had been that good I had already blown all the cash I taken with me and there was still a day and a half to go. Mark asked how much more could I spend, I said that I could probably do another $5,000 easily, at which he pulled his cash out his pocket and gave me $5,000 and said pay me back when we are back in the UK. It was a real effort to repay him, he was never home always working away somewhere buying and selling fleets of military vehicles, he was always buying from US military sales in Germany and shipping into the UK. He also had garages full of WWII new old stock Willys and Ford Jeep spares. We all say he was a great guy. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  11. Bruce Linz

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

Yes, obscure , WWII, Right Arm.
  12. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

, Hi Linedoggie & Bluehawk. Thank you Linedoggie for giving details on the British landing craft, it was next to the museum for many years until it eventually rotted away. There were also two Landing Vehicle Tracked near the museum which had been abandoned on Utah beach in 1944. Due to their use in the sea water and close proximity to the sea the they ultimately rotted away as well. Several years ago the two remains had all salvagable parts saved and one made from the two with new sheet metal used by an engineering firm in Carentan, the repaired / restored one is now displayed inside the museum. On our 1994 trip to Normandy amongst the sand dunes near Omaha beach we spotted the front gate of a landing craft and a complete crate of British .303 ammunition in cloth bandoleers. On D-Day a lot of American troops were taken ashore in British operated landing craft crewed by British sailors using British weapons and ammunition. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2024. ...
  13. Signalbridge, USS Enterprise, 1972-1973.
  14. Very nice!! Thanks for posting the pictures!! Steve
  15. Ok. So, basically the obscure ones.
  16. solcarlus

Norman D. Landing

Bonjour Norman. Probably an armor-piercing bullet.
  17. HILLBILLY-06

Should you fix it or not?

🤣 it kinda does...
  18. I'm guessing he may had been in the Pacific North West, cause looks like a baby Bigfoot stepped on his helmet!
  19. HILLBILLY-06

My old friend told me his dad was also an air raid warden, but he didn't tell me where. I will get to see him and the helmet again in person next week, so I'll pass this on to him. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
  20. Rakkasan187

Hillbilly, These are just my thoughts... An interesting family heirloom that has suffered some serious decay over the years.. The white paint is virtually gone, if there were decals on it they too seem to be gone, the liner present but also most likely very brittle... Now I've stated the obvious and there is obviously a family connection with this. Taking the dent out may cause some more damage to the helmet with the rust and all and it may even crack the helmet. Personally I would leave it as is and possibly find a better Civil Defense helmet to place next to this example to show everyone that this is what it would have looked like. A neat conversation piece. I would also suggest to your friend to write on a note card and place it with his dad's helmet. That way there is no confusion from the one that is not as damaged. Also tell your friend that this material object may one day go away but the memories and recollections of your friend and his dad with this helmet will remain forever. I have my grandfather's civil defense helmet as well as his reflective Sam Browne Belt that he wore as an Air Raid Warden in Maine during WW2. These are just my thoughts. Best Leigh
  21. I found the thread. The stencil on jacket and sea bag.
  22. Bruce Linz

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

Yes, National Capital Historical Sales (NCHS), owned by George Peterson, is reproducing some Navy rates. Check out his eBay store, “NCHSinc.” For example he has some repro Dog Handler “D” and some WAVE rates to name a few.
  23. A older friend of mine has his Dad's old Civil Defense Helmet. It really took a hard hit from something, and he wants to try to get at least "some" of the large dent out of it. I mean it's kinda cool looking like it is, but he really wants it to look better, so I'm asking for input, or suggestions on either getting the dent at least partially out, or should it just be left alone. I'm hoping for input on both scenarios, removing and or leaving it,etc. Thanks in advance.
  1. Load more activity