All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. What can anyone tell me about this canteen cover. Looks like a 1956 with nylon trim and acrylic (lining) inside. Is it a 1968 issue? It's in really nice condition so I'm curious if it's authentic.
  3. Today
  4. theinsigne

CS button

Why the CSa, it definitely has the age to it?
  5. nebelwerfer

MORTAR MAKER WHP

Thank you, I will check this out!
  6. First of all thank you for the positive feedback, and comments. It has been an 18 month project from the purchase of the flag until the completion of the stabilization. The actual work took approximately three months to complete. The conservationist process is way above my skill level, but simply put he addressed all of the fractures in the skill and there is a clear layer of fiber on the front and back. Then it is laid on top of a piece of cloth. All non acidic of course. When all of the layers are in place a piece of clear museum glass was placed in front, compressed, and then vacuum sealed inside a heavy duty metal frame. This will keep the colors in its current stabilized condition for the unforeseeable future for many generations. Painted silk is by far the hardest textile to work with. Especially a double sided battle flag. Like it was stated above it’s truly magical what a skilled artist can accomplish. The flag represents a gap in time between the Indian Wars and WWI as there is no known examples of its existence in the Dragoon’s history. In this timeframe the flag change from a blue background to gold and the Toujours Pret motto - Always Ready In French was first introduced. There is a book written in 1913 by Gherardi Davis - The Colors of the United States Army 1789 - 1912. It discusses the flag and its significance, specifics, details, but no visual details. The Reed and 2nd Cavalry Museum had no idea of its existence. The conservationist stated that the flag before the stabilization was a obligation, but now it is a saved part of history. So if you have something that is part of our heritage or your own and you truly want to see it “live on” spend the time and money to accomplish that goal. The cost is nominal compared to letting it fade away. If you have a textile project please feel free to PM me and I will share any additional information that I can to help you accomplish your project. As for the future of the the Dragoon’s flag right it is a corner stone piece of my collection. And to tell you I am thoroughly enjoying it. Once thank you for the kind and classy comments. It’s appreciated as always from the members of this prestigious group. Thank you and all the best.
  7. Spike

Stoner Pouch???

Marines only used the Stoner for about a minute. SEALs made the Stoner the legend that it is today.
  8. A Compound Sign in Thailand 1968, note the 9th Log Cmd patch there on it with other units stationed here..
  9. Yes, as ocs statted, today its called the 9th Theater Support Command. https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/9tsc.htm But your patch you have, a Flat Edge, yes, it will be from the 1960s, worn when unit was on Okinawa or during the Vietnam War in Thailand.
  10. Maybe the 26th Military Police Company Mass NG? it would be a better prospect as this unit was active through the 60s and 70s and 80s. https://history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/mp/0026mpco.htm
  11. robinb

USAAF footlocker group

Another fun item is this unopened little bottle of whiskey.
  12. robinb

USAAF footlocker group

It's an AAF aircraft clock.
  13. Jim: As per the first post above you must purchase the book from the author directly using his website located at: https://1stabtf.com/en/boutique/the-517ths-gang-us-eng-version/ Charlie
  14. Ronnie

3 War Trophy

Manay that was in one of four footlockers. Assuming it was for a kid but apparently it never made it out of the box. The thing was super neat.
  15. Cant find this unit crest in Massaro catalog. I did see an article in wiki about the unit with a black/white picture of a matching insignia. Does it look like an original crest or is it a fantasy piece?
  16. Gear Fanatic

Ideas for display booth!

What I am planning on doing is 1 maniquin with HBT with M1 garand kit (torso only) and then the alternative m1 carbine kit with airsoft full metal replica (not old enough to own a firearm) and then the next part will be personal gear, canteens, magazines, pictures, magazines etc. and the last section will be captures, with pictures and placards in between? Thoughts are welcomed and please critique!
  17. Gear Fanatic

Ideas for display booth!

Thanks! I will definitely take into consideration!
  18. The strangest thing happened. I was searching the internet for my Grandfather's obituary yesterday and an auction site was in the search results with the above title. After opening it up, I was shocked to see my grandfather's footlocker was auctioned off in December 2019, just 8 months after he passed. We have no idea how this auction company got a hold of his old footlocker. However, after reading the description, there was a diary in the footlocker where my grandfather wrote about his missions. I have reached out to the auction company and they are trying to give my contact information to the buyer. I would give just about anything to read what is in that diary. So.... Here I am grasping at straws! Did anyone in this group buy this footlocker or know who did? All I want is copies of the diary and anything else my grandfather would have wrote. This would be the most amazing gift I could ever receive!
  19. warguy

What is this shoulder patch?

Correction to my last post, languages was never a strong suit. The braid worn is the Fouraguerre. I was trying to combine the Croix de Guerre and Fouraguerre while away from my references. I have a great memory, it is just extremely short!
  20. Yesterday
  21. greendevilsix

Please ID this Signal Pocket Patch

Thank you for the clarity, it was driving me bonkers trying to wrap my head around it.
  22. That is really remarkable. What talent, and nice to see it preserved for future generations to enjoy.
  23. yves-croc

Please ID this Signal Pocket Patch

Hi, Company E (and D) 43rd Signal Bn were activated on 28 october 1966 and assigned to 73rd Signal Battalion, it's the reason why you find the two battalions on the patch. In 1969, Co E was headquartered on Lang Bian Mountain with organic sites at Gia Nghia, Bao Loc and Di Linh. During fall 1969, the company was relocated to Dalat and operates the entire portion of the 73rd Signal Bn within central II CTZ. Best, Croc
  1. Load more activity