All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi mikie. well as you mention my old avatar had been there as long as you could remember, I think I was feeling the same as well, so pleased with the replacement avatar and taking me back to my roots . . . . . . . Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  3. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. As the 80th D-Day anniversary approaches, a great deal of interest will be shown to the front line units, so here is a tribute to some of the rear echelon troops that kept the fighting units supplied at the front. A little known and un-sung part of the ultimate victory, cleaning and repairing enough Jerrycans to keep the army rolling. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  4. A late 60s Corp of the Fort Benning 197th Infantry Brigade (Sep).
  5. Today
  6. Definitely not theater made or POW wings.
  7. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Bryanj, Well yes I have to agree to a lot of your thoughts on the techno-revolution. When I was a a teenager I can remember saying to my mother that she had lived through the greatest leap of aerial flight from the Wright brothers to landing on the moon. I myself have lived through the techno-revolution as we would call it, from no cell phones, no personal computers, no digital cameras, remember the fax-machine that came and went . . . . . and beta-max 8 track tapes. My grandsons generation have been born into this technological world and will have no memories of the days before, my two year old grandson is already using the cell phone and computer screens games as everyday items. Each teenage generation thinks that they had THE BEST teenage period of any generation before or after them, as you say pre 75 music was about the best. Most of us left home without looking back, parents are forever people, you don't know what you had until it's gone. There's not much to go backwards for but I do miss the gas at 5 or 10 cents a gallon, and the freedom of the open road, no future generation will ever have that, and in a gas burning Jeep as well . . . . . . . . . . . Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 18 2024. ...
  8. patches

OG-107 Shirt - MACV Major

Could be one of many. Impossible to tell now.
  9. Was it possible all Boots did the Infantry AIT and then moved on to another base for their true MOS AIT??? I say this as my cousin went to Fort Sill Oklahoma for Arty AIT in 1966, not sure if he just went there after Boot Camp at the Island or not.
  10. I don't know how common they are but I've never seen them before. Original unopened replacement parts for binoculars. The packaging is pretty neat.
  11. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi eagle87, Hopefully this is the correct 1921 layout for Fort H.G. Wright. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  12. Wish they were for sale, but I have no idea what they are worth, so I can’t begin to make offer; I was told they aren’t for sale, but one never knows. thoughts?
  13. Hey guys, I was wanting to ask for help with the wings on a uniform I have. The uniform is named to an officer who served in Ww2, Korea and Vietnam. His name was Paul Q. Holloway. He was in the 15th Air Force. I got the uniform from an older collector friend who has been collecting over 40 years. I have been told by 2 or 3 friends that the wings could be Ww2 theater made or POW made. I have been told by 2 or 3 others that the wings are not Ww2 but they are cast wings made in the 1970s. 1 person said they are kiddy wings. It doesn't hurt to reach out for more info or opinions. Let me know what you think.....
  14. Hello I came across this shovel, and wondered if it was a combination of old and new parts. It is in a 1952 dated carrier. I have never seen a red handle before.. It is marked A.f.&H co 1943 Thank you
  15. JerseyDevil117

Could this be an actual "reversed" CBI

It’s really just an error. But so is the reversed ww2 1st ID, reversed cannon tank destroyer and others that bring good money.
  16. Great patrol jacket variants...and on Marketplace, no less. Large gap in eras here...any insight on what they were? A collection? Maybe multi-generational Marine family?
  17. Sorry about having the pages out of order.
  18. manayunkman

Theo Heller WW2 thru VN painted leather

Beautiful jackets
  19. Boone

Questions about the Ontario M9 bayonet

Thanks for your response. I have a couple of sources for GI surplus that may have a few. Trying to avoid a never issued commercial one. Don't want like new condition. I like my martial blades to have character. Thanks for the info.
  20. Slufstuff

Questions about the Ontario M9 bayonet

I used to collect the M9 series, had over 100 variants at one time. I hesitate to say never when it comes to the military, but AFAIK, the only USGI contracts for the M9 were for green versions. However, it is always possible an individual unit used unit funds to purchase black M9's. As far as how to tell commercial from issue, it is hard to tell on Ontario Knife or Lan-Cay produced M9's, as their commercial issue configuration M9's were mainly identical to what they were shipping to the military. Ontario in particular had no qualms with sending bayonets out commercially from the same production line as their USGI knives. Having said that, a lot of M9's have been legitimately sold as surplus in recent years, so it should not be too hard to find a real USGI Ontario on ebay or other internet sites. If they are a big volume surplus dealer and tell you they purchased their M9's from DRMO type auctions, they are most likely telling you the truth.
  21. Local family cleaning out the house and let me come by and take a few pics of the father’s painted leather. Last pic is of the 3rd jacket, no paint on the back but still a stunner.
  22. ArtyScout

Breakthrough At The Siegfried Line-761 Tank Battalion.

Hello everyone. Well, I finished the Infantry soldiers. I still have to add the rifle slings, but by all accounts, they're done. Now onto the tankers. Semper Fi. Manny
  23. I also found a second photo of LCpl Poitras, again wearing a frogskin cover. Clipping is from the July 21st 1965 edition of the Biddeford-Saco Journal. Looks like AIT was at Camp LeJeune Another Marine's portrait from the same paper, again wearing a frogskin cover
  24. While doing some poking around in an attempt to find the source of the pictures, I came across an ID for the unkown marine in post #3 That appears to be CPL Wayne Lamont Jordan Lima Co. 3/4 Marines Cpl. Jordan was KIA on the 17th of March 1967 https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/121291736/wayne-lamont-jordan According to his find a grave memorial he enlisted in 1965 rather than 1964
  25. I had assumed that it was the same helmet but different chinstraps. If someone took the cover off and put it back on they did a really good job at recreating how it looks like all the folds are in the exact same places between the two pictures.
  26. Yesterday
  27. pfrost

New to me aerial gunner wings.

Many have asked that question. It has never been found with a hallmark (best I can recall). Most show up as clutch back, but a rare few are found in pin back.
  28. hyrax222

I know nothing about them but want some knives

Gitana- Second thing I think about every morning! Praise Him hyrax222
  1. Load more activity