All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Kevin, Two very nice additions to your collection...congratulations! Mike
  3. manayunkman

Who can help on this helmet.

That helmet cleaned up beautifully. I wonder how that was done.
  4. Found this at antique shop recently. What do the stampings on bottom mean? Any comments on this cover would be appreciated, I've just started collecting.
  5. DBeard

1956 canteen questions

Thanks for the information 👍. I bought this canteen grouping mainly because it had a 1918 canteen cup plus a very nice 1945 dated canteen. Now I can hunt for a vietnam dated canteen and cup!
  6. manayunkman

Odd fixed bale with blue band and red triangles

Soap box derby paint job?
  7. Today
  8. Kevin, Your kind words are more than I deserve but are appreciated. I'm glad that I was able to help you towards completing your WWI USMC helmet collecting needs. I thought you would make a better caretaker for it than I. Happy that you were also able to secure Chuck's outstanding helmet as it is a one looker. Now there should be a little less competition out there. Haha. Maybe one day you could post a family picture of all your helmets together. Ken
  9. aviator

Aviator to France

Hello of France Thank you for your welcome. I live in France. I am doing historical research on the liberation of my region. My interests focus on the USAAF, pipe line Minor and major system. Best regards Aviator
  10. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi G.I. Thanks again, I once read an after-war report that all the Jeeps in Europe were either sold off to other European nations ( Marshall Plan ) or in the Pacific simply abandoned as it was too costly and unnecessary to ship so many unwanted units back to the States. Thanks also for the clips of the assembled B17's / 24's, these I did read were returned to the States as they filled them with returning servicemen, one such B17 crashed in the mountains of Wales as they headed out west from the UK all on board were killed, very sad as they had survived the actual conflict. I have always struggled to quantify my feelings when watching those scenes of lined up aircraft waiting for their demise, almost like a loved pet at the vets. Many words come to mind but to find a singular word being too hard to choose, tragic , sad, harrowing, melancholy, piteous, moving, grievous, and with lamentable scenes of desolation. !!!! Back in the 1980's / 90's one of my Jeeping friends was circuit manager at Thruxton airfield in the UK, we were all aware that it was a wartime airfield but never really grasped discovering what was abandoned or buried in the surrounding land. It wasn't until years after he passed with cancer in 2008 that I read the British airforce at the end of the war flew in all the surviving left-over gliders and burnt them on the airfield, the effort and costs of doing this unexplained. WWII U.S. military vehicles but mainly Jeeps have been a life-long passion for me since my first Jeep at 16 / 17, as I wrote a while ago myself and another local long-time vehicle friend were hugely disappointed about a year ago when we learnt that the son of a French military vehicle dealer had simply scrapped seventy tons of U.S. spares and remains leftover when his father died, we had been visiting the father regularly and after searching through the stocks & mounds buying pieces for our Jeeps and Dodges. Well more pleasant and unpleasant memories revived for me. !!!! That's what comes from a lifetime of experiences, but many happy ones from the International group of friends it gathered for me. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 29 2024. ...
  11. John Parker Jr.

Help Identify Camillus Sailor's knife

It's 1970's - 1980's version.
  12. respectingthesacrifice

D-Day Experience Museum and Dead Man’s Corner

An absolutely stunning museum…
  13. respectingthesacrifice

D-Day Experience Museum and Dead Man’s Corner

If it may help, here’s what I have about USN helmets
  14. respectingthesacrifice

Normandy Visit in 1978

My bad, looking at pictures I took, it seems it’s not there anymore. I was sure it was, at least it was when I was younger… now at what I believe is the same place, there’s a pontoon bridge.
  15. kfields

What is this shoulder patch?

I don't know the meaning of SOSH but probably some sort of hospital care? So definitely came back to the States early - Oct 11, 1918.
  16. kfields

Normandy Visit in 1978

Thanks for responding. Is it out of the weather?
  17. nebelwerfer

Steel box for 60mm Mortar

@Dirt Detective What manual is this from? Thanks
  18. kfields

What is this shoulder patch?

Found him in Volume 23!
  19. respectingthesacrifice

Normandy Visit in 1978

Hi this is located in Arromanches, the British Mulberry location. Yes this is still here, although renovated
  20. Well it's certainly vintage, a Single Meyer Shield, pre 1954. It's possible it is related to the division when it was a Training Division a Fort Jackson South Carolina in the Korean War. Maybe a badge worn by Cadre, of the units within the division that gave specific Infantry Branch AIT??
  21. theinsigne

CS button

Thanks for all the responses, here are a few photos with a couple other buttons that was found with it
  22. WWII OD HBT Base Cloth as we see, a goofed Ports of Embarkation.
  23. blademan

Coin Shop Find ... WW2 Fighter Pilot Purple Heart

You did fine! Good call on buying the group!
  24. patches

A New AF Rank?

A one found floating around online.
  25. Government Issue

Norman D. Landing

Thank you for the response! When I saw all the jeeps in the junk depot, I was getting a little deja vu to the scenes from 1946's The Best Years of Our Lives with the B17s. Going through actual pictures of many of the scrappers and designated areas overseas that ended up with fleets of aircraft and vehicles, one starts to note that many of them were from the same units and ended up at the same "recycling centers" where they were processed into metal refuge. That could possibly be the case here. The ones that did make it into the states were jumbled up in random assortments. You could find things that were in Europe and the Pacific tossed together in the middle of nowhere.
  1. Load more activity