All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Upon inquiring at the museum that houses the original, they were willing to make a new photo of this portrait for a fee. Here’s the result. By their request, this is the citation: Courtesy of the Maryland Center for History and Culture, 1958.44.3. They say it will eventually be available on their digital site, but who knows when that will be exactly. And the detail: It’s so clear that it’s a heater/ triangular shield so often, I don’t even need to mark it, as well as the curving to its own right shoulder. Beautiful piece. You can even see all the small ridges on the gold lace as you can on the MacDonough coat.
  3. phillock

Help ID this M1 MIX NMATCH

Thanks Nickman Much appreciated for the reply. cheers Phill
  4. Nickman983

Help ID this M1 MIX NMATCH

The "band" is just the remnants of tape on the front/back. Likely would have had the wearer's name or some other way to identify the wearer during training. You see this often in the 70s/80s. Shell is WWII production but it's been repainted. All in all it's a pretty typical late 70s-80s set.
  5. I agree, except the model date is 1912. It is from the period before the snap was added to hold the magazine pocket in place. Why it was thought to be a special "medical" item, I don't know.
  6. Today
  7. Hi Team A friend has this M1and Im thinking of purchasing it but it seems to be a mix n match. Would be greatfull for as much info as you can add, especially wth that band on the helmet. Possibly reurbished and added post war liner. cheers Phill
  8. 158Bushmaster

158th RCT Bushmaster's Patches

Good evening. Any chance anyone with a vast collection of 158th RCT patches would be willing to put them on display for a summer or two in our museum? They would be on loan through our museum, fully covered by insurance, security, and would state they were on loan from your collection. The Bushmaster museum has a few but it’s hard to explain the different variations to our visitors without showing them, especially the theater made versions. We get about 5k visitors each summer and would love to have some additional patches to show them. Let me know if you’re interested. “CUIDADO!”
  9. Appears to me like a regular M1910 pistol belt, unless I'm missing something.
  10. spooderman

Carlisle bandage question

The bandage in your photo was designed for use with medic's first aid kit, and stationary first aid kits. These were not used or issued with the M1942 first aid kit.
  11. spooderman

bandage queston

What is depicted in your photo is the bandage designed and issued in conjunction with the M2 Jungle First Aid Kit, in addition to the M1942 bandage pouch. This bandage would be contained within a waxed cardboard sleeve. (Shown in attached image, courtesy of At The Front LLC)
  12. cerick1450

WW2 Gunner Wings for review

Thank you for the help
  13. Hi another stupid question. Nowing marines many times had to use what is available. Did they ever use the M1941 haversack on M1936 suspenders. could they even be attached to one an other
  14. 5thwingmarty

What kind of Wings?

Here is a set of Simmang wings I now have. The small WWI style wing is about 1-9/16" and just arrived today. The other small wing is 1-1/2". Chris confirmed the small WWI style wing was a Simmang pattern, and sent me some info that also led me to be able to identify the other small wing as a Simmang pattern.
  15. Thanks, Fingers crossed. I don’t really collect this type of thing but if successful it will be good trade stock etc..
  16. I believe this canteen dates to the Plains Indian Wars period but it could be later. Can anyone tell me what “24 Sep. Co.” refers to? The leather trim on the canteen seems unusual; have any of you seen this before?
  17. Brig

M1918 German Sand cast EGA

Pretty common for the pins to be missing...they weren't too sturdy on these sand casted pieces
  18. Brig

Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

Good chance he removed them himself when upgrading his rack. Devices aren't cheap, they are very commonly pillaged during upgrading. Nobody keeps their entire career or ribbon racks.
  19. Chariots of Fire

M-20 Prime Mover

With a bit of down time and a time back at doing some fire apparatus building (put on the back burner) I'm venturing back into the large truck stage of model building. This time I decided on the Diamond T M-20 prime mover that was first designed directly for the British Army during WWII and then was adapted to US use, some of which was during the Red Ball Express supply routes of 1944. There are a couple of good sources of detail materials available for the project. One is Tankograd and the other is a photo book from David Doyle publications. One change I have had to make it to go back to plastic strip stock for the truck frame. Finding good brass channel stock is just about over and KS is not making any more. The frame is in its initial stages having been built up with strip stock for the web and flanges, with some brass add-ons. It will continue to be built up over time. In addition, I have two 3D printed 12:00 x 20 tires in molds that when finished will be used to cast the 10 resin tires. An interesting feature will be building a Hercules diesel engine. Once the truck is done I'll tackle the Rogers trailer. Below is one of the publications and a closeup of the frame with the brass detailing that has been done.
  20. bschwartz

WWII USN Flight Nurse wing variants.

Beautiful collection of some extremely rare wings. There were so few Naval Flight Nurses that there just aren't a ton of these wings floating around. I have never seen the N.S. Meyer made wings before. Thanks for sharing all of these, Russ.
  21. rustywings

A group shot with a little “Navy Nurse Corps” collar insignia garnishment.
  22. rustywings

Note the close similarities between the AMICO and MEYER…
  23. I believe most collectors interested in WWII era USN Flight Nurse wings will agree that those hallmarked by “AMICO” appear to have been the most prevalently produced of these rare and historical badges. “H&H” (Hilborn-Hamburger Inc.) also produced a limited number of Navy Flight Nurse wings during the war… But their infrequency in collections and lack of availability on the market seems to verify they are more scarce than those marked “AMICO.” (You can find very nice images of both “AMICO” and “H&H” variants on Bob’s website ww2wings.com). There’s a third legitimate WWII era USN Flight Nurse wing variation out there with a “N.S Meyer Inc.” small shield hallmark and “1/20 10KGonS” metal content marking. I believe what makes the Meyer variation unique is it was likely produced under a contract between Meyer and AMICO, using AMICO’s existing dies and metal content stamp. I understand that “Robbins Co.” may have produced a limited run of their own Flight Nurse wings with variant design, but I’ve never seen one? Have you? Or any other example(s) from a manufacturer besides AMICO, H-H, or N.S.Meyer’s? Here’s a few images of those three known manufacturers… Top - AMICO. Middle - H-H. Bottom - Meyer.
  24. I sent you a message instead of making this post to big.
  25. Nice photo. The larger bar says “MARKSMAN”. It is the rifle qualification badge that matches the service record book (SRB) entry dated Apr 8 1943. The other badge is the Marine Corps Basic Badge. I’m positive the bar says either “BAYONET”, “EX. BAYONET”, or “EXP. BAYONET”. It matches the SRB entry dated 15 Apr 1943. Always good to see a Marine’s entitlement so neatly documented. Semper Fi, Bruce Linz
  26. Yesterday
  1. Load more activity