This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. manayunkman

Theo Heller WW2 thru VN painted leather

$5-6,000 for all 3 is a good offer.
  3. Today
  4. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Johan & Graham. I think by 1994 all of those big hundred vehicle convoys had finished, there was probably an MVT campsite with a hundred vehicle on but I think people rolled around fairly independently and didn't all hit the road together. Regarding our trip in 1994 I think we ran around as a four Jeep group and camped where and when we wanted but not on the large campsite, it was easier to organise just four Jeeps and not be blighted with getting the crews of a hundred vehicles organised. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  5. knifelover

Knife Restorations

here are the two kabars i just finished side by side...
  6. knifelover

Knife Restorations

Finally i replaced the rivets on the sheath with brass rivets to complement the brass fittings on the handle
  7. knifelover

Knife Restorations

I shaped the handle and then I followed Misfit 45's tip and used the leather washers to figure out my spacing and give me a file guide, and martyb's advice using a shoelace to burnish the grooves after they were cut. Then I treated the handle with mink oil.
  8. knifelover

Knife Restorations

I used Cold Blue to put a finish back on the blade and made a finger guard and pommel out of brass. Then I stacked and glued everything back on the tang using black G10 for spacer material.
  9. armysgti

AAFES POGS ERRORS

Marshall, Do you collect the aafes pogs ??
  10. armysgti

AAFES POGS ERRORS

Good Morning ! The last posting regarding the 4 part Pogs may not have been visible to all .. Please note the Photos below ..
  11. knifelover

Knife Restorations

After removing the handle i decided to sandblast the blade to remove the beat up powder coating
  12. knifelover

Knife Restorations

I finally decided to refinish a beat up Mark II that i had in my possession. I bought it off eBay a few years back. Someone had started a rehandle job on the knife but hadn't glued the washers or shaped the leather into a finished handle...
  13. knifelover

Knife Restorations

Thank you VNAMVET70, that is a very informative link! I have spent a fair amount of time experimenting with different buffing combinations and that site helps you cut to the chase.
  14. Escht

Norman D. Landing

Whilst sorting through a firework companies' old stores for pieces for the vintage firework collectors I came across this rare piece. Dated September 1940.......
  15. earlymb

A.f.&H co shovel 1943 Question

Looks fine to me, just painted post-war. Actual 1943 dated M1943 shovels are quite uncommon, compared to the more numerous 1944- and 1945 dated ones. You could try to find a first pattern 1943-dated carrier for it, with the fixed hook.
  16. Johan Willaert

Norman D. Landing

OK, long story... Back in June 1994 a party of 4 of us drove my GPW and a friend's Dodge WC54 Ambulance to Normandy to attend the 50th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings. As usual in the weeks before our departure the weather had been atrocious with lots of heavy rain and when we arrived at our planned camp site in Creully we found the fields where we were supposed to set up camp fully flooded.... Not wanting to spend a week in that 'swimming pool' two of us set out in my Jeep to find a better (and dryer) field where we could spend the week, leaving two others catching up on some sleep in the back of the ambulance... First we tried the MVCG site below Arromanches which sadly looked similar to what we had just left (it would be dubbed Mud City by most attendees) and we continued towards Arromanches taking a very small back road at St Come de Fresné. In a field the size of at least two football pitches we saw about a dozen Military vehicles with Brit license plates. So I asked who was in charge and if it was at all possible that we camped out in the field with them, us being only 4 people and two vehicles... The man said we had to ask the chairman of the IMPS, camping out at Manvieux: so we drove over to the main IMPS site there and inquired about camping out in said field. The president of the IMPS stated it was reserved for IMPS members so we paid a year's dues and became members of the IMPS for that week, returning to Creully to pick up the ambulance and friends and then setting up shop in the small field below Arromanches. Turned out to be a great place to stay as it was only about a 15 minute walk to the cliffs of Arromanches and another 10 minutes or so down to the main square. We had a great albeit very wet week there, but at least we weren't floating out of our tent... Attached a photo of our small HQ there....
  17. I was in Hungary then, then I came back. Yes, I really liked being outside. In Kuwait, I "taught" Mongolians, Poles, and even Americans to operate the Harris radio.
  18. Heres a pretty cool one. Ive seen a couple posted, but first one Ive seen in person. The rear pin that was originally attached is long gone, and in its place, someone replaced it with a safety pin. Good thing I dont display the backs!
  19. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi mikie. well as you mention my old avatar had been there as long as you could remember, I think I was feeling the same as well, so pleased with the replacement avatar and taking me back to my roots . . . . . . . Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  20. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. As the 80th D-Day anniversary approaches, a great deal of interest will be shown to the front line units, so here is a tribute to some of the rear echelon troops that kept the fighting units supplied at the front. A little known and un-sung part of the ultimate victory, cleaning and repairing enough Jerrycans to keep the army rolling. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  21. A late 60s Corp of the Fort Benning 197th Infantry Brigade (Sep).
  22. Definitely not theater made or POW wings.
  23. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Bryanj, Well yes I have to agree to a lot of your thoughts on the techno-revolution. When I was a a teenager I can remember saying to my mother that she had lived through the greatest leap of aerial flight from the Wright brothers to landing on the moon. I myself have lived through the techno-revolution as we would call it, from no cell phones, no personal computers, no digital cameras, remember the fax-machine that came and went . . . . . and beta-max 8 track tapes. My grandsons generation have been born into this technological world and will have no memories of the days before, my two year old grandson is already using the cell phone and computer screens games as everyday items. Each teenage generation thinks that they had THE BEST teenage period of any generation before or after them, as you say pre 75 music was about the best. Most of us left home without looking back, parents are forever people, you don't know what you had until it's gone. There's not much to go backwards for but I do miss the gas at 5 or 10 cents a gallon, and the freedom of the open road, no future generation will ever have that, and in a gas burning Jeep as well . . . . . . . . . . . Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 18 2024. ...
  24. patches

OG-107 Shirt - MACV Major

Could be one of many. Impossible to tell now.
  25. Was it possible all Boots did the Infantry AIT and then moved on to another base for their true MOS AIT??? I say this as my cousin went to Fort Sill Oklahoma for Arty AIT in 1966, not sure if he just went there after Boot Camp at the Island or not.
  26. I don't know how common they are but I've never seen them before. Original unopened replacement parts for binoculars. The packaging is pretty neat.
  27. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi eagle87, Hopefully this is the correct 1921 layout for Fort H.G. Wright. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  1. Load more activity