All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Appreciate the reply back Pegasus6 and additional photos, as said congrats on your fine grouping from this Marine. As I stated way back in this thread I’d never directly question anyone’s grouping at this point on authenticity, only ask if photos are present and offer questions in order to try and pin down further. The goal here is to try and find as much info as possible in order to possibly close some gaps. I agree the Okinawa photo in particular is a great one to study further if possible, here is another photo of this detail on Iwo from a different angle showing the 3D EGA as you mentioned. I chatted with the seller of those Mosquito Nets as well and got that tag photo. I’ve seen the info listed on the tag before, but not a real tag so another good piece of history there. As I mentioned in the thread on the nets, while produced in WWII for sure, with the FSN packaged examples my question would still remain if they were also produced post WWII as often thought not. Still many unknowns out there, with my research shown here the USMC were asking for funds to produce camouflage helmet covers in particular as late as 1956-1957. Nice post, thanks and hope the group here can keep the research moving forward!
  3. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi Indian Head, Welcome to the thread and many thanks for researching the name and finding detail of him, hopefully more comes to light. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 24 2024. ...
  4. Threewood

WASP wings, your opinions.

It's over $100 with 4 bids and lots of watchers.
  5. Today
  6. Pump Pump, To answer some questions in order and as best I can, with fidelity and more photos. Also I already answered some of your questions in the previous post with either photos or info that you didn't see, otherwise you wouldn’t have asked So here it all is again and or in response. Best I can order again. Lots of info and time in the response. 1. He being PFC Price, left service in 45. The squadron VMSB 142- as part of MAG 32 was in the Pacific Jan-July of 45 and well documented missions/losses locations etc. thus all the paperwork in my additional photograph below. Joining in 43, deploying moving into theatre in late 44, combat Jan 45. 2. I have some photos of him overseas none show the helmet. As a mechanic/gunner they rarely needed to wear the helmet. Of his service he only kept his dress uniform (family kept) and these items as shown in additional photos (Helmet, USMC FS/FB USMC repaint, (color) worn but not abused) his cartridge belt, dog ear canteen cover, canteen, jungle first aid kit, some EGA/Tie clip and the Silk Map of their combat AO. He hitchhiked home. These items were in one trunk together. Extremely unlikely that he would have kept these unless they were always his and kept them together esp given the silk map. Trunk was in attic, none of the gear was ever “” displayed to the family as some would say stand in/tribute “” items ie as mentioned previously in this thread an airborne guy sold a 1950s m1c stating it was his WWII lid. I spent quite a lot of time validating the items and talking with the family (they didn't even know these items existed (estate sale common ptractice the family legally isnt there because items are being sold and assets of sold funds split per a will, alas the estate company empties the estate out, advertises and sells). I backtracked from original buyer at estate sale and I contacted family after purchasing it from said buyer. (I being second owner) the family his son specifically, was astounded, contacted the estate sale company talked to the manager whom confirmed he himself (estate sale manager) pulled the trunk out of the attic and these were the only military items in the trunk, told to son. The other items were old magazines junk “” ect. I spent many hours talking to Prices’ Son. Sharing stories and records back and forth. So yes I believe there to be very little chance this was not the one he was indeed issued/wore and took home. Theres no reason to surmise otherwise. One generally does not hitchhike home with a helmet/gear thats not sentimental. Alas I had to purchase my ACH that I wore in Afghanistan when I got out of the military just like back then you don’t just get to take your gear home. Items home are exceptions not the rule. In fact, the majority of Marine Corps personnel files show what somebody left service with and I’ve never seen (helmets/field gear) in general listed. Which also tells you yes I pretty familiar with what gear looks like after period of time and abuse with sweat, garbage, gunk n funk, rust etc.. looks like over time. 3. The Marine on Iwo is wearing an EGA on his cover front row left… appears 3D not stamped. Thats why I posted the photo… it may even be in the photos that the EGA has been mounted pin back through the cover and onto the helmet due to the way the helmet cover seemingly is laying on the shell. But to me, it does not look like a stamp and it is definitely a large EGA. 4. Mosq nets. Saw the thread. I went through the task of contacting the seller months ago regards the mosquito net box and contract label I posted. It was a NOS box filled, unopened. And you can see the spec dates clearly and it is of the later version of color and solid band with the original 1943 labeled box. Nothing was repacked…. And seller sent me additional photos of the box label. I was sure to ask. I was as curious when I saw them listed for sale. Also the company label is indeed a known contract for them. So thats no longer an assumption but a fact of a variant made during 1943. There you go. 5. The two Marines on Okinawa: in the higher resolution image (I have) not the grainy water down version the forum posts. IMHO its not even a tossup but pretty conclusive the soldier on the right has no slits… the resolution is super crisp as well and his cover has shrunk down considering its no slit cut for chinstraps and in good condition. Usually the slits get pulled open some when the shrinking occurs. Or its pulled tight and cut for the chinstrap. His is uncut and tight. The Marine on the left however… cover is in more worn shape and tho with what appears to be tears are also shaded slices I see what appears to be 3 slits or openings. It is Also interesting in the photo soldier on the right has a T handle shovel in a modified folding shovel cover and hand applied camo on his jungle first aid pouch. Being thorough is something I pride myself with. As a retired Army Officer and collector for 25+ years I share my insight and collection via RenewHistory@FB. Vr Pegasus6
  7. Indian Head

Norman D. Landing

Hey Ken, Interesting piece, the remnants of that duffle bag seem to have once belonged to this solider, seems he was captured in Normandy. Some more research would be interesting.
  8. ArtyScout

Breakthrough At The Siegfried Line-761 Tank Battalion.

Hello everyone. I finally finished the tank crewmen. I hate it when the camera and lighting give the skin tones a gloss look, but I really like how they came out. The pics are just a preliminary look of the diorama. I'll tweak some things as I go along; like the figures getting their rifle slings and a hand grenade, weathering on the Sherman's gear and to blend it with the groundwork. Believe it or not I'm looking forward to the base. Enjoy the pics and as always, all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Semper Fi. Manny
  9. ArtyScout

My collection 1/35

I did notice a discrepancy in your figure. The tank crewman looks like its wearing a Vietnam era helmet. If you're looking for WWII figures, you may try Alpine figures. You probably find a figure more to that era. Just my 2 cents. Semper Fi. Manny
  10. homelessmarksman

Help in identifying the M1 helmet

The only strange thing was that it was painted several layers of green on the inside. I tried to remove the paint looking for a stamp and there was only this color. Helmets made in Israel itself were painted, seemingly straight to sand color. Plus, the new fasteners are attached a little too roughly. Can the helmet be American, but then supplied to Israel? By the way, I also compared it to a replica of an early war helmet and they seem to be the same in dome height. About the inscription, I agree, as I just can't imagine the circumstances under which an Israeli M1 could end up in the possession of an American war correspondent.
  11. Some old and new BMU patches. The alligator is the most recent BMU2 patch. The monkey is the one Tonomachi is referring too
  12. FT.Monmouth1943

Help in identifying the M1 helmet

The correspondent helmet is definitely not original. As mentioned, it’s an Israeli helmet painted up to look like a WWII correspondent’s helmet. The BDQ patch also appears to be a computer guided reproduction. No idea on the ranger helmet, but it looks to be Vietnam era or later. Can’t tell from the photos if it’s good or not, but the markings look very similar to the correspondent helmet so it’s likely bad as well. If these all came from the same seller then I would steer clear of buying from them; it seems like they are selling a lot of bad stuff.
  13. Sorry, hit the enter button by mistake. Mods can delete above if wanted. Congrats on your grouping Pegasus, very nice. Would you happen to know when your Marine left the service, or have a photo of him wearing this helmet cover in 1944 for provenance? Could it be possible that he was issued this one very late or just after the war ended possibly stateside or a main base? If you do have a photo of this cover being worn in 1944 please share as I’m still in search of finding some. Preaching to the choir I’m sure, though it has been noted that these covers were often replaced when worn as they were thought of more along the lines of misc. uniform items. Unlike Vietnam/GWOT etc where helmet covers are worn for year long tours until almost unrecognizable, it’s well documented when first coming ashore most all wear new uniforms including helmet covers. Exceptions always apply I know depending on assignment. As for the two period photos of Iwo and Okinawa, can you say which of these Marines are wearing the non-slit covers in your opinion? Certain ones or all shown? As for the EGA, it has been well documented that the uniform EGA insignia was worn rarely by individual Marines during WWII. The only issue I’ve seen is the painted/stenciled documented worn only after WWII at this point. If anyone has a photo of that type being worn in WWII please do share! As for the Mosquito net, that has also been well documented being worn in WWII by period photos. Though there are three known sew and color versions discussed on this forum in the past. I did post a thread asking about those found packaged including a FSN tag which would indicate either repackaging or producing them post WWII looking for information with no firm conclusions either way offered at this point. Thanks for posting and continuing the conversation.
  14. PAD

USMC pilot G-1 flight jacket

Awesome jacket - thanks for sharing!
  15. This CAGLECO SPORTSWEAR G-1 belonged to Captain Frank C. Regan. He was an USMC fighter pilot and can be heard here: Maj. F. Regan's interview at Chu Lai in 1968 The jacket is a Mil-J-7823 specification. CAGLECO SPORTSWEAR contract N383s-9211A, the only one contract to have made G-1s with black collars instead of brown. Apart from his interview accessible via the link above, unfortunately I found nothing about Captain Franck Regan. However, the unit badges sewn onto the jacket tell a little more about his career: - VMA-214 "Blacksheep" (one of the most famous USMC units since its CO was maj. Gregory Boyington in 1943/44) - Transformed as an attack squadron in 1958, it flew on FJ-4 Fury and A-4 Skyhawk in Vietnam. - VMA-212 "Devil Cats": the squadron flew on Skyraider from 1952 to 1958, on FJ-4 Fury from 1958 to 1961, then on A-4 Skyhawk until 1963 when the unit became VMF-212 again. - VMA-223 "Bulldogs": during WW2, this unit was part of the Cactus Air Force on Guadalcanal with John Smith and Marion Carl. Transformed as a VMA squadron (attack) in 1954 on Panther, it then moved to FJ-4 Fury in 1957, then to A-4 Skyhawk in 1961. - VMF-333 "Fighting Shamrocks": reactivated in 1952 as VMA-333, the unit was tranformed to VMF-333 (fighting squadron) in 1957 on FJ-Fury, then became the first Marine unit to fly on F-8 Crusader in 1960. F. Regan alos probably served on multi-engine aircraft, seeing the patch sewn on the back of the jacket. Unfortunately from an unidentified unit by me. The name plate in red fabric and duck is very representative of the USMC crews in Korea. Now some pics...
  16. Congrats on your grouping Pegasus, very nice. Would you happen to know when your Marine left the service, or have a photo of him wear
  17. I write a lot about Wheelock's time at Bureau of Aeronautics in my book, Sustaining the Carrier War (Naval Institute Press, 2023). He did great things for the maintenance training program and schools for the Navy
  18. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Recycling of a badly damaged 1944 U.S. Army Duffel bag. . . . . . . . . . Last year at the village dump I pulled out a damaged WWII U.S. soldiers duffel bag dated 1944 and complete with the soldiers name and service number on. Someone had already cut a large piece from the bag and stripped off all the webbing straps so it didn’t have any use for a collector or for actual using. I have cut around the soldiers name and now sewn it into the underside of the rear seat of my Jeep, and it will always still be visible when the cushion is flipped, with some of the remaining canvas I will cover the seating area of my driving seat as it's now wearing thin. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 24 2024. ...
  19. PatLaabs

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

I've bought a few for reenactment purposes but I've seen one or 2 of his come up for sale from other sellers as legit ones. I know one of them and I don't think they'd mislead people on purpose.
  20. History Man

Theo Heller WW2 thru VN painted leather

Have you heard from the family?
  21. Buffalo Grunt

Beach Master WWII Patch

Many thanks .. this is great information ...
  22. 268th C.A.

Beech T-34B Instrument panel

Oh No! Another one! hey its an unusual restoration hobby. But you do excellent work. I can't wait to see the finished results. Derick, I see instruments & gauges every now and then but have no clue what I'm looking at. good luck!
  23. 268th C.A.

1943 wood body 1 ton trailer restoration

Looks like it was made yesterday! Great restoration job!
  24. carrabassett

1943 wood body 1 ton trailer restoration

Beautiful job, love the trailer!
  25. HILLBILLY-06

Should you fix it or not?

For sure, I think that after repeatedly observing that pic, you guys are correct in that he should keep it as is, and just buy another one, putting them both on display, is twice the story in itself. It would really beckon serious thought.
  26. Mr.Jerry

Should you fix it or not?

I am not a metallurgist, but someone very wise told me metal only likes to bend once. He will never make this helmet better than it is right now (and there may actually be a story in there somewhere - imagine finding a newspaper article showing the dented helmet from a Japanese Balloon bomb after pounding it out...) I would leave it as is. You can easily find more of the helmets as a representative piece.
  1. Load more activity