All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Buffalo Grunt

Beach Master WWII Patch

Many thanks .. this is great information ...
  3. 268th C.A.

Beech T-34B Instrument panel

Oh No! Another one! hey its an unusual restoration hobby. But you do excellent work. I can't wait to see the finished results. Derick, I see instruments & gauges every now and then but have no clue what I'm looking at. good luck!
  4. Today
  5. 268th C.A.

1943 wood body 1 ton trailer restoration

Looks like it was made yesterday! Great restoration job!
  6. carrabassett

1943 wood body 1 ton trailer restoration

Beautiful job, love the trailer!
  7. HILLBILLY-06

Should you fix it or not?

For sure, I think that after repeatedly observing that pic, you guys are correct in that he should keep it as is, and just buy another one, putting them both on display, is twice the story in itself. It would really beckon serious thought.
  8. Mr.Jerry

Should you fix it or not?

I am not a metallurgist, but someone very wise told me metal only likes to bend once. He will never make this helmet better than it is right now (and there may actually be a story in there somewhere - imagine finding a newspaper article showing the dented helmet from a Japanese Balloon bomb after pounding it out...) I would leave it as is. You can easily find more of the helmets as a representative piece.
  9. seanmc1114

A Vietnam War 6th Infantry Division Fatique Shirt.

And here's the 1968 and 1969 annual historical summaries of the 5th Battalion 3rd Infantry: https://emu.usahec.org/alma/multimedia/824886/20181457MNBT1036347865F279314I001.pdf
  10. seanmc1114

A Vietnam War 6th Infantry Division Fatique Shirt.

I found some interesting period resources on the 6th Infantry Division online yesterday that sheds a lot more light on its reactivation during the 1967-1968 period. Here is a link to the annual history of the 6th Battalion 1st Infantry for 1968: https://emu.usahec.org/alma/multimedia/1166556/20181457MNBT1036357433F279063I001.pdf
  11. I tried to search for it online, I found a link in which it looks exactly the same. https://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usnavy/usnavyparachute.shtml
  12. Hi Group - Here is the latest addition to my panel collection. It's from a U.S. Navy Beech T-34B Mentor, BuNo 140785. It's regrettably missing the take off checklist placard on the right side of the panel. All the 2" instrument clamps are missing as well but these will be easier to source than the checklist... On the plus side, most of the instrument lights and other placards and warning labels seem intact. I already have 4 of 5 instruments for it and finding the rest shouldn't be too hard (hopefully). Thanks for looking! -Derek
  13. Hi, I'm trying to find out the appropriate SSI for the 4 MCG on Class As in the lead up to, and during/after D Day. IIRC their own patch was unauthorized at that time. Their vehicles are marked to 1st Army but I have also seen them described as a Corps Asset and part of VII Corps Order of Battle. So would it have been 1st Army SSI or VII Corps SSI prior to the adoption of the 4 Cavalry badge? I can only find pics of the 4th and other MCGs units in the field and they don't appear to be wearing any SSIs. Also, any original IKE jackets I've come across are from 1945 or later and have the 4 Cavalry SSI. TIA for any help, Frank
  14. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hello Graham. very sad news indeed and difficult to express our thoughts, and in today's thoughts still so young. I am so pleased that you will be able to attend the service, I wish that I was able to be there myself unfortunately with a prior commitment that friends are dependent on I won't be able to make it. I am sure that there will be a large representation of his many friends, please pass my regards on to his daughter. Really lost for words to explain what sort of a friend and great guy he was to everyone, a genuine loss for everyone . Ken. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 24 2024. ...
  15. rathbonemuseum.com

WASP wings, your opinions.

As Steve says, it is a copy. A cast copy.
  16. Hombre

Ka-Bar

mikedon, thank you so very much for your help! I really appreciate it! Best, Stefan
  17. mikedon

Ka-Bar

Both are post 1975 reproductions. In summary no WWII KA-BAR 1219c2 knife had: -3/8" half pinned pommel -black spacer at guard and pommel -deep struck markings -embossed eagle, globe and anchor marking on the leather sheath Frank Trzaska covers this one on his website. I attached pictures of what the WWII pommel and markings look like on the variation marked like yours. http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/ka-bar.htm
  18. Hombre

Ka-Bar

I should really appreciate opinions about this one... I think the sheath is later than the knife but what about the knife... Best, Stefan Sweden
  19. As far as I know, ALL US masks from WW2 contain asbestos in their filters. As for the M17 series mask I don't believe they ever used asbestos in the filters. Still if you want to be truly safe just don't wear it.
  20. MCDUFF

Norman D. Landing

Hi Ken, yes, this was a shock when I heard. Incredibly sad news. Your recollection is indicative of how Mark was with those he knew. He was always helping others out. Nothing was ever any trouble. I kept my halftrack and GMC at the farm where he worked/ kept some of his stock, so saw him there regularly. A cup of tea, chat and light hearted humour always in plentiful supply. He would always stop what he was doing to get stuck in to help! His stories of all things military vehicle - legendary! A great guy indeed. I will certainly be at the service...
  21. Found this 1980 photo of an SP, an Airman 1st Class it looks like, unit location unknown. He at any rate is wearing the Camouflage Marine Corps-Navy Cap with his RDFs, with the Subdued US Air Force Security Police Qualification Basic Badge on it we see. Not sure if this was the standard soft cap though, more photos of the period will be needed here.
  22. Steve D.

WASP wings, your opinions.

Fake as a 3 dollar bill! Here is the back of an original.
  23. patches

U.S.M.C. Korean made painted brass rank chevrons

A 1st Sergeant, the Battle of Bunker Hill, August 1952, thee 1st Sergeant of Company F 1st Marines, we know this as he wears one of those Korean Made Metal Ranks on the front of his Flak Jacket. See
  24. Spartan19

Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

Here's another Navy bar with the Army PUC and Naval Unit Citation.
  25. Spartan19

This is possible. The only Naval unit that I could find that received 2 Army Presidential Unit Citations during the defense of the Philippines is the 4th Marine Regiment. Roughly half of the 4th Marine Regiment was Naval personal. The issue with this is the almost the entire Regiment was either killed or captured with only a few hundred managing to escape. But im sure other Navl units also received 2 PUCs
  26. ItemCo16527

That is very possible. I should have put "certain Navy units". Also, it's possible those sailors you're referring to may have served aboard Naval vessels operating in the Philippines during its defense. I don't believe any major warships received the DUC.
  27. Spartan19

This is good to know but I feel like I have seen quite a few navy guys who served in defense of the Philippine not have the Army PUC. So my guess is not every unit received it.
  1. Load more activity