All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. It's true, I know nothing about knives. However, I briefly had a Kabar that I was enamored with, and would like to acquire a few WWI / WWII knives for my collection. The only one I have is a LF&C trench knife (with the triangular blade, but without scabbard) and it keeps asking for friends. Given that, what do you recommend? What are the most iconic? I'm thinking a few knives, any branch but definitely including another Kabar. I don't need rare variants, but would like nice, clean examples made during WWI or WWII.
  3. rustywings

What kind of Wings?

I think both Christopher and Patrick are spot-on identifying Rob’s two-inch wing as a sweetheart piece. And as mentioned above, I too have seen several WWI era overseas caps adorned with similar size wings… and believe the example Rob is sharing with us is likely the most common pattern produced back in that era. But also keep in mind numerous other manufactures made smaller but highly detailed versions of their full-size production Pilot badges and those examples, I believe, are scarce and very collectible, even though they carry a bit of a “Sweetheart” stigma. As much as I prefer to seek out and collect full size Pilot wing variations, I’ve collected some of these smaller examples as well. The Pilot wings in the image below are all between 2 inches and 2.5 wide.
  4. I recently purchased 9 photos all of the 43d U.S. Volunteer Infantry in the Philippines, Leyte Island. These all seem to belonged to Pvt Jack Hood of Company K, 43d U.S. Volunteer Infantry. When I google 43d U.S. Volunteer Infantry only Civil War units show up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to look for the unit?
  5. I recently purchased 9 photos all of the 43d U.S. Volunteer Infantry in the Philippines, Leyte Island. These all seem to belonged to Pvt Jack Hood of Company K, 43d U.S. Volunteer Infantry. When I google 43d U.S. Volunteer Infantry on Civil War units show up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to look for the unit?
  6. Is this the same one that sold on eBay last week? https://www.ebay.com/itm/126306330058?itmmeta=01HVMBWMX4VFVYA89MT1AE2PJR&hash=item1d6871a5ca:g:BB4AAOSwcExluA-h&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4Ow7OkqWaln0PorJaBzCNZ3G4ZGm47O%2BcXg7KmoR9ZN2X%2BfBiKLgvCMDm3ZDJvU7df3%2FRYutgl2O5XZLXwn%2FJojw%2FWfOSWm8UelIslMyZVmmZuCL0n8GctRXuF6%2BzP43YxOMfzC%2Bqloi1XEASXG3eXwLyttZWoqGtRFII80I2Wqs0mYIYQT46sQQCJ43UUZixrsE2TaDEgw%2FmcgLfBMFAPVWdhopzqbSt8QDPekDetiyRSiBfI%2FTNZjgOTxFmvavZt6%2FccDBsYRsQGqSYdD5bTwITHPKTU%2Fq5ht6IVxfywXq|tkp%3ABk9SR9rO8ovdYw
  7. VNAMVET70

Knife Restorations

knifelover, Check out "Knife Polishing Guide for Beginners". Has good information on buffing wheels, compounds, accessories, and typical step-by- step procedures....http:knifemaking.com/pages/knife-polishing-guide
  8. Today
  9. Hello all, I'd appreciate opinions from Forum members regarding the authenticity of this George Medal. Not my field of expertise. Thanks in advance, Donovan
  10. Keystone

WW2 USMC belt ??

Follow this thread for more info. Tim https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/120524-m7-anti-tank-mine-belt/#comment-900727
  11. castagain

USMC Faciat Georgius " George Medal" Guadalcanal

Hello all, I'd appreciate opinions from Forum members regarding the authenticity of this George Medal. I'm not an expert on it. Thanks in advance, Donovan
  12. Vpep

When It Rains, It Pours!

Here are a few more photos. The interior foam is disintegrating by the minute. If anyone has any information on how to stabilize it, I would love to hear it. But I’m sure it’s irreparable at this point. I hope everyone enjoys the pics.
  13. Thats the smell of web gear! Yummy. Walking into the old surplus stores of the 1950's & 60's man you knew you were onto gold. Where's the web gear ? it's actually a fungicide to keep the gear from rotting in wet climates. Can you imagine being in a troop transport with little to no ventilation, that's what you'd smell on top of all the sweat and body odor. Then the sea sickness and vomit. something to think about....
  14. Thank you for posting! I visited the museum just before the Covid madness started and can only say it was an awesome little museum full of so many amazing artifacts. The group was given the option to visit Colmar pocket or a medieval village. I was the only one who visited Colmar pocket. It is a must for any true Student of WW2. That is where Audie Murphy earned his medal. I hope the young collectors know what I am talking about.
  15. Magnificent! Your showing objects that are at the top of the most desired list for many WW2 items collectors.
  16. Due to me living in the humidity of Northeastern Kentucky, I run dehumidifiers year round. I hang my musty gear near the dehumidifiers and that takes care of my issue. SKIPH's method works great too.
  17. 101STCOLLECTOR

Theater made 1st Allied Airborne Patch

Really suspicious
  18. 101STCOLLECTOR

Theater made 1st Allied Airborne Patch

A friend of mine just asked me about this patch also. Sounds Paki, isn't it?
  19. I was at Sandia from 69 to 71 as an MP. Wore the DASA patch until it was replaced with the DNA around July of 71. There is a lot of history relating to Sandia. For one it started out as Oxnard Field an Albuquerque airport.
  20. Vpep

Weird mix of old leather items and saddles

The Item at the bottom of the fourth photo looks like a dog muzzle.
  21. dschneck

A.W. series of telegraphs

Thanks kfields. Excellent input - I like it..
  22. …also I just looked yet again at this thread. I scrolled up and looked at my original pics. I saw the lapel and thought “there should be branch insignia pin holes if I’m right. So where are… AHA!” If you look carefully you see them. So yet *another* bit of proof it was a converted USAAF!
  1. Load more activity