All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Yes, it is a Transport Airman . According to John Stacey's book it was combined by sub-specialties into Air Controlman, Aviation Machinist's Mate, Aviation Storekeeper, and Exclusive Emergency Service Rating EST(Transportation Airman). From 1942 - 1948.
  3. Randy

Help with unknown patch

Looks like a screwdriver to me. Most likely a transportation related patch, but unfortunately I have no ID. Randy
  4. WOW!!! What an outstanding museum. Thank you for taking the time to post all the pics of this amazing collection, the level of quality items is off the charts. I used up all my likes for one day in this thread alone. Would love to see you post some of the Grenade pics in the Grenade section...Again...thank you for your effort..
  5. Marshallj

82nd Division Grenada patches

Looks like every Grenada patch with the grenade was made by a different maker based on the lettering.
  6. Boone

Questions about the Ontario M9 bayonet

I saw that when I was doing research. I was hoping that a current soldier, vet or collector familiar with these bayonets would chime in with experience. Seems most online info on the subject just quotes the Wiki M9 page. Thanks for your response.
  7. thorin6

Questions about the Ontario M9 bayonet

Go here: https://m9bayonet.com/ontario-m9.html
  8. Yesterday
  9. Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

That's the last one I'm searching for.
  10. Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I finally located a snake grenada patch!
  11. 42ndbombers

Help with unknown patch

Don`t know why it won`t post correctly. The red thing is a torque wrench I would imagine. Or maybe a breaker bar.
  12. Not feeling good about this at all. What say the group?
  13. I have this posted in the Air Force section. Maybe I can draw more eyes here!
  14. pwcosol

Weird mix of old leather items and saddles

I was trying to ID the two holsters pictured. The larger, (seen from the rear) looks very much like a German made pattern for the Polish P35 "Radom". However, they all had two belt loops as opposed to one large one. Looking at the front side, seems some type of pouch is underneath the center of the flap... quite strange! Can't see the smaller one to make a judgement. A few more detailed photos (and one with the flap lifted on each) would help, but both might be custom-made jobs...
  15. cwnorma

Help ID Please. Are these Pilot Wings?

@pfrost is not wrong. They are certainly not military regulation. That said, during aviation's early years (1913~1930s) some private pilots "self-awarded" various "wing" or "eagle" pins to show their status before the public. These pins were mostly commercial offerings (almost certainly never intended to have such meaning attached) and varied from place to place and from person to person. Any such wear would purely have been a matter of taste, fashion, and ego. Could this be such a pin? Possibly... However proving such affiliation would necessitate some sort of evidence. Barring that, as Patrick notes, "Probably not." Warm regards! Chris
  16. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi mikie, well you make that sound almost like that old joke ' wife and dog missing, reward offered for the dog ' . . . . . . . . . . . . I fully understand, I am fully capable of making a speech in front of a multitude of total strangers, large groups of people, etc, etc, but when it came to making the father of the bride speech at my daughters wedding that really was something I found hard and emotional to say. As everyone can see my friends ' supported ' me all the way . . . . . . . . . . . John over on the right held his card upside down, most likely on purpose he's like that . . . . . . . . . . . . Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 18 2024. ...
  17. aso544

M1C SNIPER M2 FLASH HIDER FOR M1 GARAND

I’ll say it’s not original with the machine marks I’m seeing
  18. mikie

Norman D. Landing

Speaking of moving out, last week, my dear daughter Kassidy surprised us by telling us she signed a lease for her first apartment. She will begin moving out this Friday. She is only going to be a few miles away, but it’s a HUGE thing for me to get used to, even though I knew this was in the works. But she still needs us to watch the dogs on days she works, so that softens the blow a bit. I’d really really miss these guys.
  19. Great stuff here! If you would, could you look up a 46th SF member.. name Daniel Johnson. He served in the Army for 32 years and retired as a Colonel.. no idea of what rank he would have been during the Vietnam era. Thanks, much appreciated!
  20. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi mikie, well I think the previous avatar of the armoured crewman dates back to around 2009, but the new one really dates back to my ownership of my first Jeep and then in the early 1970's when I painted an example of it above my letterbox on my first house. That was a funny experience I moved in my then girlfriend but it took me some time to admit to my parents that technically I had moved out, after work each evening I went to my parents and ate an evening meal with them, and then went ' out ' for the night which was over to my own house and another full evening meal cooked by Derrie my girlfriend. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 17 2024. ...
  21. I want to add an issued Ontario M9 to my bayonet collection, but it has been difficult finding information on their history in the military. Is there any way to tell the difference between GI and commercial? Were both black and green versions issued? Any information would be appreciated.
  22. mikie

Norman D. Landing

It’s going to take a little getting used to your new avatar. How long did you have the previous one up for? It’s been there for as long as I can remember. But then, since my Covid, that’s about 4 hours max. mikie
  23. In photo# 401 the American officer is Lt. Col. LeRoy E. Frazier, 102nd Division, 405th Regiment, 1st Battalion.
  24. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. From my Shoebox Collection . . . . . . Years ago when I was about fifteen or sixteen I went to buy some U.S. shoulder insignia and the seller also had this board of enamelled pins which I also bought without much inspection. Sadly either he or someone else had removed all the pins and glued them to this card, I was really taken by all the red, white & blue camp enamelled pins. I probably should have done something with them to tidy them up and display them better, but with all the rear pins missing I could never think of much that I could do with them. I always wondered if it was a sales display card from a badge manufacturing company, unusual to have had so many camp name badges on one card displayed like this. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 17 2024. ...
  25. cagedfalcon

Need Help To ID Artillery Shell and Projectile, Please?

Turns out it's a Russian 45mm APHE.
  26. mikedon

Knife crafters co fighting knife

Very nice!! I got the other one that was from that estate sale in Arvada, CO. It belonged to the same guy, Walter E. Olson / 37356363 U.S. Army / Wyoming, Laramie / 416 Cedar St.
  1. Load more activity