Distinctive Unit Insignia reference

Darktrooper

I picked up this DI from the Army Air Corps 3rd Air Base Squadron in trade from a used book dealer. It took quite awhile to figure out what it was, but I was surprised to find that there was one in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

post-41112-1310582358.jpg

This one is a Parachute unit but I don't know which one. Only markings is G-23 and Made in USA; certainly post war.

post-1107-1311209541.jpg

post-1107-1311209551.jpg

Here is a picture of one D of the 165th/69th abd abother one that I don't know, on uniforms. Eich has a mate on the other shoulder.

post-1107-1311209686.jpg

Wolfhound pair on a uniform. In an earlier post someone asked about the direction the wolf heads are facing. They face each other on this one.

post-1107-1311210044.jpg

post-1107-1311210053.jpg

Two fairly early 1st Cav DUIs (only one side shown). One is brass with black horse head silhouette (screwback) and the other has the horse head silhouette, "blanket" and the letter I in blue rather than the usual black.

post-1107-1311210201.jpg

Here are a pair of 509th PIR DUIs. These are probably modern vintage.

post-1107-1311210610.jpg

This is probably enough. I've got several more but I haven't identified them yet and, as unknowns, they don't do much good as references.

One more. I tried to add these to the Japanese (occupation) made pair above but couldn't. Got the picture stuck on it but it locked me out before I could add the accompanying text.

These are older screw-back 32nd Regiment DUIs. I can't see any maker's (or any other) markings on the backs.

post-1107-1311211351.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I picked up this DI from the Army Air Corps 3rd Air Base Squadron in trade from a used book dealer. It took quite awhile to figure out what it was, but I was surprised to find that there was one in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

As a side note NASM his a large collection of aviation DI's and other related insignia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-4807-1316661794.pngpost-4807-1316661817.jpgpost-4807-1316661835.jpg

Fourth Infantry Regiment Patch, Silk Ribbon DUI's Enlisted and Nco/Officer

The 4th IR the second oldest Regiment is the only U.S. military unit authorized to wear Silk Ribbon DUI's

• 2 months later...

99th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mechanized), 99th Infantry Division WWII.

From the unit history:

Being limited in space, we have not written about every individual. But all were essential for success - a success that can be symbolized by a badge, authorized by the War Department to be worn by members of the troop. This badge was on a blue oval, a gold caltrop imbrued proper above a blue scroll with the motto: “Forever Forward” in gold lettering. The blue in the field stands now for gallant work on those doughboy patrols into the Siegfried Line. It stands too for Recon’s stand in it’s dug-in positions at Kalterherberg. It stands for all this and also the doughboys who rode to battle on Recon’s vehicles, where once it only stood for the troop’s origin as Hq. and Hq. Co., 197th and 198th Infantry Brigade.

The gold stands for those spearheads, and Task Forces and reports that the 99th Reconnaissance Troop contributed to the annals of the First and Third Army instead of just meaning branch cavalry. It’s motto: “Ever Forward” finally takes it’s meaning in all the troop’s own men who have never been known to turn back or falter in courage and at any price or sacrifice have gone and will go “Ever Forward”.

It was quite rare indeed for a unit the size of the 99th Recon Troop, about 144 men at full strength, to be authorized a DUI. The unit was inactivated before any of them saw the crest, but was later activated during the Vietnam War as HQ, 197th LIB (less 3d platoon). 3d platoon was activated as HQ, 198th LIB. These were the original parent units from WWI.

post-63795-1323043222.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
mattvs2004

Does anybody have a picture of the 486th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battlion's Unit Crest? I saw a really small picture of one on a auction lot. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

10/10 to everyone who's posted a contribution, but, if a member deletes the images, or the reverse isn't shown, it's pretty annoying, and defeats the object of the thread, rendering it "Useless." Just my 2 cents.

• 3 months later...