Airborne Ike 101st/82nd

Troy13

This uniform is in my dads collection. I got to take some photos of it on my trip to Ohio and we would like to know your opinions. He has had it for more than 25 years. He does not remember the veteran's name, but the gentleman lived in Orange, Ohio. (Be patient, many pics to follow).

Full shot.

post-1304-1189734656.jpg

Ribbons, etc.

post-1304-1189734755.jpg

Army Air Force collar insignia? Pacific Theatre ribbon for a 101st and 82nd Vet? CIB and an artillery oval? I see some problems here.

BKW

English made patch with artillery piping.... very nice.

Okay, this patch. Is the red border around the patch signifigant? Does it mean artillery? Was this a custom job? What type is the patch?

post-1304-1189735544.jpg

Army Air Force collar insignia? Pacific Theatre ribbon for a 101st and 82nd Vet? CIB and an artillery oval? I see some problems here.

BKW

I saw the brass and was not to sure myself. I did not know about the ribbons and the mixing of the CIB and the oval. This is information I will pass on to my dad. Thank you for your feedback.

Troy

CIB, aviation collar brass, and ribbon bar.... don't seem correct for this Ike.

Thanks 101. Brass was suspect, but others we had no clue. Joined here to learn and I appreciate the help.

Troy

Are not the two ribbons the wide variety associated with the Navy and Marines? Also, no GC award considering the length of service?

Siege,

I believe you are right on both accounts. After looking at some of my ribbons and ones in the pics, they are wider. I did call my dad and advise him to remove the incorrect items.

Again, thanks.

Troy

The jump wings are also POST WAR. I am sorry to say, but this whole jacket looks put together....

The best thing about this, would be the 101st british made patch...

Chris

I thought that I would elaborate on my previous post, about the wings being incorrect...

The red artillery piping appears to be the same piping found on the garrison caps. Is this original? Hard to say...

I don't like the uneven age toning to the thread on the 101st patch. While the patch looks like a first rate patch, I am not convinced that the patch was sewn on during the war. The "age toning" looks contrived.

As was said before - the ribbon bars are incorrect.

The oval, I would think, should be sewn on. As I had wrote in the previous post - the wings are 100% post war. The clutches are post WWII, with the dimples. The pin's on the back of the wings are the clean, neat type, as found post war. They did indeed use clutch back wings during WWII, but they don't look like this.

Obviously the brass is wrong.

Would an artilleryman hav been awared the CIB? Perhaps. If he was an infantry soldier before hand, and had seen enough combat to qualify, yes. But I am very skeptical about this...

Chris

This uniform is in my dads collection. I got to take some photos of it on my trip to Ohio and we would like to know your opinions. He has had it for more than 25 years. He does not remember the veteran's name, but the gentleman lived in Orange, Ohio. (Be patient, many pics to follow).

Full shot.

post-1304-1189734656.jpg

Ribbons, etc.

post-1304-1189734755.jpg

As mentioned, nice British made patch,

Service ribbons make no sense, neither do the Air Corps collar disks. Post war jump wings, oval seems to be post war as well.

Does your Dad live in Orange Village, Ohio?

Rich

Strongsville, Ohio

No, those are not post war wings.... the oval may also be WW2.

The jump wings are also POST WAR. I am sorry to say, but this whole jacket looks put together....

The best thing about this, would be the 101st british made patch...

Chris

Possible WW2 artillery oval.... without question the wings are WW2.

Finally the jump oval. What unit does this signify?

Front.

post-1304-1189736110.jpg

Back.

post-1304-1189736136.jpg

Thanks for looking.

101combatvet,

The reason why I say that the wings are post WWII is because the two pin devices on the back appear to be the very neat, cleanly attached pins, as seen on post war wings. WWII clutch backs were attached with a slightly sloppy soldering technique. One thing that IS for certain, is that the clutches are what is often referred to as the "1946" pattern clutches, with the dimpled faces.

Chris

101combatvet,

The reason why I say that the wings are post WWII is because the two pin devices on the back appear to be the very neat, cleanly attached pins, as seen on post war wings. WWII clutch backs were attached with a slightly sloppy soldering technique. One thing that IS for certain, is that the clutches are what is often referred to as the "1946" pattern clutches, with the dimpled faces.

Chris

I agree with Chris, these wings look to be post war, and the whole uniform just screams of being a put-together. CIB above the jump wings? Oval not sewn, but pinned - via wings - to the uniform? Pacific theater ribbon? Collar disc snafu? This is a terrible put-together (the only redeeming feature being the 101st patch).

Beau