RAF Helmets and USAAF Receivers and Oxygen Masks

vp79

I've seen a number of old pictures showing US P51 fighter pilots in WWII wearing RAF C type flight helmets with RAF goggles. These pilots were flying out of UK for 8th and 9th USAAF. I'm curious about the receivers that appear in the flight helmets in these pictures. Presumably the receivers would have to be US radio compatible (ie, ANB-H-1) because our P51s must have been fitted with US radios. However, the Brits had their own receivers that go into the C type flight helmets. Is it possible that the British receivers were compatible with US radios or that somehow US ANB-H-1 receiver sets were somehow fitted into the C type helmets in lieu of the British sets? Or perhaps some US fighter units had British radio sets outfitted into their fighters. Also, were USAAF oxygen masks (A14, A10A, etc) compatible with the British C-type flight helmet? If anyone shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen a number of old pictures showing US P51 fighter pilots in WWII wearing RAF C type flight helmets with RAF goggles. These pilots were flying out of UK for 8th and 9th USAAF. I'm curious about the receivers that appear in the flight helmets in these pictures. Presumably the receivers would have to be US radio compatible (ie, ANB-H-1) because our P51s must have been fitted with US radios. However, the Brits had their own receivers that go into the C type flight helmets. Is it possible that the British receivers were compatible with US radios or that somehow US ANB-H-1 receiver sets were somehow fitted into the C type helmets in lieu of the British sets? Or perhaps some US fighter units had British radio sets outfitted into their fighters. Also, were USAAF oxygen masks (A14, A10A, etc) compatible with the British C-type flight helmet? If anyone shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

I have pulled four or five RAF C Type helmets out of AAF officers' groupings over the years (that's a lot in my opinion BTW) and all of them that I have found have had US comms receivers and looms wired into the helmets. One veteran that I got one of these helmets from was very proud of the fact that he flew with an RAF C Type. he said that everyone would assume that he was one of the old timers with this distinct helmet. He also said that getting a C Type helmet was difficult as they had to be traded for (I'm sure the early pilots were issued them) and that his helmet cost him a .45 auto pistol which was a steep price to pay.

Most AAF flight helmets in the early days required a parachute rigger to modify the helmets to accept the radio receivers. They did so by cutting a small circular hole in the sides where the ears would be and then sewning a leather cup onto the sides of the helmets. It seems the AAF hadn't put near as much thought into comms as their British counterparts had. As for the fit of the US receivers into the C Types, I have never really noticed that there was much of an issue with that. Perhaps the British receivers were the same size?

Hope this helps,

Allan

Cobrahistorian

Quite often you'll see ANB-H-1 or R-14 receivers literally taped in place on Type C or D (in the MTO) helmets. I think I remember reading somewhere that there was a plug adapter made as well, but that's just off the top of my head.

It was entirely possible to wear an A-10A or A-14 O2 mask with the RAF helmet too. I've got a named Type D helmet for which I've been looking for a nice pair of R-14 receivers.

Jon

I'Or perhaps some US fighter units had British radio sets outfitted into their fighters. Also, were USAAF oxygen masks (A14, A10A, etc) compatible with the British C-type flight helmet? If anyone shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

I can add that USAAF aircraft did make use of British radio equipment at times. The U.S. T-44 O2 mask mic and wiring loom was intended specifically to integrate these. It uses the small mic element that fits U.S. masks with an RAF style cloth covered loom which connected the mic and the headset (via a jack) to the radio with one large bell-shaped plug.

These mics were U.S. Signal Corp items produced by U.S. contractors. Mine was made by Motiograph Inc. in Chicago. HTH

Tim

I have an RAF Type C helmet in my collection that was used by a P-51 pilot out of England with a photo of the original owner (do not recall the man's name or his squadron off hand) wearing the helmet in front of his aircraft. The receivers are totally taped up with white cloth medical adhesive tape -- looks like strange white earcups on either side. The wiring is standard AAF Y-wiring with a red plug. What appear to be commercial silver finished snaps were added for the US A-14 oxygen mask. I do not recall if the photo show an O2 mask or not. Will try to post the pilot's photo and his helmet.

• 2 years later...

Here is one of the cables to allow use of an American headset with an RAF radio. It is still new in box.

In fact this cable allows to use RAF headset with an US Corps radio. The jack PL-55 is an american jack, the other connector is a british socket for plugged the RAF bell jack.

Mathieu

Here's mine for reference. Note the US receivers as well as the snaps that work well fro both US and UK masks.

post-5589-0-17712800-1403556035.jpg

post-5589-0-37089000-1403556039.jpg

post-5589-0-70335700-1403556043.jpg

RAF Type Cs were preferred by ETO fighter pilots. You'll see lots of taped in ANB-H-1 receivers as well as those just placed inside.

What the 1944-45 ETO fighter pilot was wearing for the most part

Helmets.jpg

I have two in my little collection. This one does not have taped. It's my pride and joy though. First flying helmet I ever got back in he late 70s. Took me a long time to get it right.

FirstTypeC.jpg

This is my second with the sure sign of an ETO fighter driver. Taped in receivers.

USAAFTypeC.jpg

Purely an unscientific observation based on looking at a lot of Group histories and really liking Type C helmets.

It appears that if taped, the 38 pilots preferred white tape. Jug drivers black, and Mustang drivers either depending on whether they transitioned from 38s or 47s

TCarroll.jpg

479th FG Mustang pilot. They transitioned from 38s

2b064110b3341ac11cbe2c8917c2e120_zps9ac1