Photo

Favorite WWII Gun?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite WWII Gun (171 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favorite WWII gun?

1. M1 Garand (63 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

2. M1 Carbine (14 votes [8.19%])

Percentage of vote: 8.19%

3. M1A1 Carbine (4 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

4. 1928 Thompson Submachine Gun (16 votes [9.36%])

Percentage of vote: 9.36%

5. M1/M1A1 Thompson Submachine Gun (13 votes [7.60%])

Percentage of vote: 7.60%

6. 1903 Springfield (7 votes [4.09%])

Percentage of vote: 4.09%

7. 1918A3 Browning Automatic Rifle-BAR (11 votes [6.43%])

Percentage of vote: 6.43%

8. M1911 (15 votes [8.77%])

Percentage of vote: 8.77%

9. Johnson Light Machine Gun (2 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

10. Reising Submachine Gun (1 votes [0.58%])

Percentage of vote: 0.58%

11. 1919 .30 Cal LMG (4 votes [2.34%])

12. .50 Cal HMG (3 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

13. Revolver (3 votes [1.75%])

14. M2 Flamethrower (3 votes [1.75%])

15. M3/M3A1 Grease Gun (4 votes [2.34%])

16. M1897 Trench Gun (8 votes [4.68%])

Percentage of vote: 4.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Whisky Beck

Whisky Beck
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,601
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

I chose the 1928 Thompson 45 submachine gun mostly because of its "coolness." I have fired one many years ago when I was just starting out in my profession of arms. I do not know how the Auto Ordnance/Kahr semi auto Thompson is now, but I have heard as a previous poster stated, the quality is poor. I have one of the very 1st semi auto M1927A1s, serial number under 900, and the initial quality of the innards was also poor (too soft). But they up graded them and I had a good smith refit with hardened parts. IMHO it is a too heavy weapon if you are afoot. I'd only use it if vehicle mounted.

However, from a practical point of view I believe the M-1 Garand is the best weapon of WWII. When the brown stuff hits the rotating blades my glass bedded NM is going to be protecting me and mine.

I agree with tsellati as the M1903A3 is fine rifle. I picked mine up a million years ago for "chicken feed" compared to today's prices. My 03A3 is my backup to the Garand.

Naturally, My Colt Government Model 45 auto, the commercial version of the M1911A1 rides in the place of honor on my right hip. 46 years later and it's still as good as when I bought it, again for "chicken feed." How can you beat it, handgun wise, the quintessential semi auto ever made? It's a 100 years old, still a viable weapon and is the most copied of any handgun ever. It is the one all are compared to. It's the "Gold Standard."

Okay, I'm off my soap box.

WB

#27 Larry G.

Larry G.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,103
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

My pick is the Garand. The first weapon I qualified with and the one I own of. Second would be the 1911(new versions) because they are the ones I shoot the most at the range.

#28 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,470
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Tough choice between M-1 Garand and M1911 pistol...the M-1 takes it though.
If you look at my gun rack you will see more M1 Garands then any other rifel and more M1911'e then any other pistol. Ten years ago you would have seen a ton more trapdoor Springfield's then all combined.
For both firearms...they are hard hitting, incredibly accurate, amazingly reliable, and made of steel, no aluminum in these guns.

#29 chriss

chriss
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 10,777
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

The Garand, it gave our troops a descisive edge in rate of fire in WWII. And, coincidently I just mailed in my oreder to the CMP for one this afternoon.

#30 rogue64

rogue64
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,174
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I'm going with the greasegun, probably because I carried one.
(don't tell my ihc garand I said that)

#31 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

Cool. When were you in? A Nam era fella I know (Korean nuclear missile base) had them around some piece of equipment he was on.

I'm going with the greasegun, probably because I carried one.
(don't tell my ihc garand I said that)

#32 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,224
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

I chose the M1 Grand because it was the US Infantryman's (soldier and marine) best and most reliable weapon and broke the back of both the Japanese's and Kraut's back in close up and personal battle. When I say close in battle the last 200 yards both in open and closed terrain.
Regards
John

Edited by BigJohn#3RD, 31 January 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#33 rogue64

rogue64
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,174
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

Cool. When were you in? A Nam era fella I know (Korean nuclear missile base) had them around some piece of equipment he was on.

I was with the 2/64 th armor (3id) in germany. They still had them in 83 when I was transfered to the 2nd armor.
We use to shoot the #### out of them at the range.
I didn't see any any in the states. (Believe me I checked..I always made sure I was friends with an armorer and a cook) :)

#34 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,752
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

1911...100 years and counting.

#35 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,752
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

1911...100 years and counting.

#36 elbertson

elbertson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,898
  • 723 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Since I wasn't around for WW2, I picked the grease gun for my dad...he always told me about how bulldozer operator friendly they were. If I picked for myself, it would have been the M1911A1, which rendered me a nice sore spot on my hip 30 years later from 3 years of constant carry.

#37 Sgt. Boghots

Sgt. Boghots
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,057
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

I chose the 1928 Thompson 45 submachine gun mostly because of its "coolness." I have fired one many years ago when I was just starting out in my profession of arms. I do not know how the Auto Ordnance/Kahr semi auto Thompson is now, but I have heard as a previous poster stated, the quality is poor. I have one of the very 1st semi auto M1927A1s, serial number under 900, and the initial quality of the innards was also poor (too soft). But they up graded them and I had a good smith refit with hardened parts. IMHO it is a too heavy weapon if you are afoot. I'd only use it if vehicle mounted.

However, from a practical point of view I believe the M-1 Garand is the best weapon of WWII. When the brown stuff hits the rotating blades my glass bedded NM is going to be protecting me and mine.

I agree with tsellati as the M1903A3 is fine rifle. I picked mine up a million years ago for "chicken feed" compared to today's prices. My 03A3 is my backup to the Garand.

Naturally, My Colt Government Model 45 auto, the commercial version of the M1911A1 rides in the place of honor on my right hip. 46 years later and it's still as good as when I bought it, again for "chicken feed." How can you beat it, handgun wise, the quintessential semi auto ever made? It's a 100 years old, still a viable weapon and is the most copied of any handgun ever. It is the one all are compared to. It's the "Gold Standard."

Okay, I'm off my soap box.

WB

I agree with ALL of the above :thumbsup:

Paul

#38 BOLO

BOLO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,885
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

M3 grease gun & M1911A1 pistol for personal defense at close range

M1 Garand for my main battle rifle

Attached Images

• 2010_03_16_201827_m3_grease_gun.jpg

Edited by BOLO, 01 February 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#39 DeuceGI

DeuceGI
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,420
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

M1 Garand. Wonderful rear sights, far outpaced all other main battle rifles in WWII. Points nice and a fantastic trigger. Nuff said.
TT

#40 pillage

pillage
  • Members
    • Member ID: 16,823
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

I chose the 50 caliber BMG as they have stood the test of time, and are still currently used.

#41 vicjoy1945

vicjoy1945
  • Members
    • Member ID: 352
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

Favorite gun !?!

Easy...for me its the Thompson cause thats the gun my Dad carried in WWII

Vic

#42 DUSMCN

DUSMCN
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,015
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Love the M3. .45 cal, simple, robust, and user friendly. 3 others agree.

#43 Rob P.

Rob P.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 27,313
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

Hard choice, in the the end the M1 Garand just beat out the M1903 by a hair for me. Both rifles are iconic to the Marine Corps and hold legendary status. I own both and am hard pressed to pick one I like more. I think I gave it to the M1 just because it held a huge technological advancement as an individual combat arm over the main rifles used by all the other nations in WWII. That being said, the M1903 was ready and waiting to defend the line on Wake, and the Phillipines, and Guam when evil struck. And when the tide of war changed and offense began, it was the M1903 that armed the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal. Now that I think about it, how do you or I really pick just one???

Semper Fi, Rob

#44 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 247
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

What's your favorite WWII gun and why did you choose it?

Virtually all these weapons, except for the Marine Corps pieces, and I are old friends. In years past I have been armed with most of them. I have a particular love affair with the M1A1 Thompson as the ammo was easy to obtain, it would make tooth picks out of a heavy bunker door, and provided considerable fire power. I loaded every mag with tracer ammo, and never missed. Yes, it is heavy, but you get use to it. The BAR is a very nice weapon once you learn trigger control, but way to heavy. The carbine is a great parade weapon as it is light, but for combat, lacks the knock down power. The 1911A1 provides a great deal of comfort as a weapon of last resort. The Garand is a great all-purpose weapon because it will do everything you ask of it. It would easily hit a man at a 1,000 yards on the first shot if properly zeroed. I would not dismiss the .50 cal m.g. as it tended to descimate the charging hords. Regards, Jack

#45 DSchlagan

DSchlagan

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 21,709
  • 804 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hard choice, in the the end the M1 Garand just beat out the M1903 by a hair for me. Both rifles are iconic to the Marine Corps and hold legendary status. I own both and am hard pressed to pick one I like more. I think I gave it to the M1 just because it held a huge technological advancement as an individual combat arm over the main rifles used by all the other nations in WWII. That being said, the M1903 was ready and waiting to defend the line on Wake, and the Phillipines, and Guam when evil struck. And when the tide of war changed and offense began, it was the M1903 that armed the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal. Now that I think about it, how do you or I really pick just one???

Semper Fi, Rob

My agreements with your observations of the M1 Garand and M1903 Springfield.

The emphasized portion of your comments brought back some things that a Marine friend related to me, one night and long ago.

He was in combat on at least two of those 'island hops' that you mention.
The enemy was reasonably familiar with the charging cycle of the '03, and would take advantage of an empty magazine, by advancing when they could.
When they got the Garand field issued, they found an advantageous trick. They would fire off the first five rounds, while approximating the timing of cycling the bolt on an '03. When the enemy advanced, they had "three more to fire off real quick, and eight more behind that...".
As related, "it worked for a while".

One of their island 'pastimes' was "gorilla hunting" (seems in retrospect that it would have been "monkey", but I'm nearly certain that he used the former term).
Anyhow... They would field a squad armed mainly with M1A1 Thompsons and spray into suspiciously appearing tree canopies until they got an enemy sniper, who did not want to give up his position, to fall out.
The way he conveyed this particular story was more like a Sunday gulf outing.

Regards,
Don

#46 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hands down, Flamethrower.
Marine Hershel Williams and his boldness exemplify exactly why it's the most bad-a## weapon of World War II. You had to be half crazy to carry the thing to begin with, because it wouldn't take much to cook yourself in a giant fireball. You had to be completely crazy to charge the enemy's fortified positions, armed not with a rifle capable of inflicting quick death and quicker stopping power, but a squirt gun full of burning fuel. Nobody wanted to stand beside the guy carrying the flame thrower, for good reason, but there was always some courageous or crazy warfighter willing to strap it on and clear out enemy bunkers and gun nests. Anyone in the military can handle a rifle or a pistol, and fight effectively with it, and they all look pretty and all -- but none of them cook people, and none of them are AS dangerous to the user as to the target.
To illustrate the awe-inspiring beauty and power of a flamethrower, see these two photos below.
flamethrower.jpg
an original WWII era shot of a Marine tossing some fire
0211flamethrower.jpg
This is a reenactment -- the photo came from Google Images (if anyone has more info on the photo, please share as I'd like to credit it if possible) and shows a flame thrower in full color.

In addition to the type of man it took to carry and actually use one of these things, it was also a great psychological weapon.

#47 Theblackbox

Theblackbox
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,788
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Tough choice. The BAR is my NO. 1 favorite, allthough it has some disadvantages (but hell who cares). The feeling I got when I pulled the trigger for the first time on one at the range was just undescribable. You hear the mechanics working inside and the slow automatic sound it makes expresses absolute power, a beast of a weapon!

Second in line for me is the M1917A1 but this is not included in the list.

#48 O.D.Junkman

O.D.Junkman
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 26,336
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

I had to choose the M1 carbine and the reason is a neighbor I grew up near. He and his wife were customers of my dad and they just happened to live not far down the road. He loved to collect knives and old guns and do a little trading now and then.
When I first started hanging out over there, me and him swapped and traded knives and then guns as years went by.
He had been an Army sergeant in the infantry during the Korean War and had managed to bring his M1 carbine home with him and it hung in his living room and he had collected all sorts of accessories for it. Of course it was his favorite and very cool to a young guy into history and guns and the carbine soon became my favorite too.

#49 relic

relic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,339
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Yea I want one of each, but the 1911, is one of my gems....

#50 Guest_vanseters1991_*

Guest_vanseters1991_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

M1 Garand.

In the words of General George S. Patton: [The M1 Garand is] "the greatest implement of battle ever devised."

Classic weapon, wish I owned one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)