Camo Painted ACH/MICH

Anders Heintz

As for the NVG bracket, it is the older two pronged style which was cut down to prevent snagging, it is painted gray, as in a gray primer, not in a blued metal, but it was not the mount he always used as you can see on the front where the helmet was painted and where there was a later style bracket on there. There is nothing done to the Rhino mount save for the paint job. I have also never seen a blued metal nvg bracket, I've seen very well used black painted ones that are metallic under the black paint. There are a few silver ones out there as well as the tan ones, never quite understood why they thought a silver bracket be expedient though.

The NVG bracket is the type designed for the PASGT helmet, not the ACH. It has obviously had the two extensions that clamp under the rim of the helmet cut off so it can be screwed on this ACH. You can see it is a replacement and that the correct bracket was on the helmet when it was painted. All the PASGT brackets I've ever seen were painted black when new.

The NVG bracket is the type designed for the PASGT helmet, not the ACH. It has obviously had the two extensions that clamp under the rim of the helmet cut off so it can be screwed on this ACH. You can see it is a replacement and that the correct bracket was on the helmet when it was painted. All the PASGT brackets I've ever seen were painted black when new.

that's not all that uncommon though, In Iraq I probably broke the NVG mount off my helmet every month or so. You drop the helmet on the ground and it lands on the mount, or if you bump your head getting back in the Stryker than that thing is going to snap off, and sometimes they were not easy to get for that reason, which could explain the replacement.

that's not all that uncommon though, In Iraq I probably broke the NVG mount off my helmet every month or so. You drop the helmet on the ground and it lands on the mount, or if you bump your head getting back in the Stryker than that thing is going to snap off, and sometimes they were not easy to get for that reason, which could explain the replacement.

Agreed. I was really just pointing out that these are two different styles for two different helmets, not "early and late". I would bet that the ACH type mount that was on this helmet originally either broke or was moved to the ACH this soldier is still wearing because the one on that helmet broke.

Anders Heintz

Thanks for clarifying B229, you are indeed correct, I just look at them as early and later, but I guess that is not really correct as its not really a version of the ACH bracket, rather one adopted to work with it.

I have seen quite a few pictures of people wearing the "earlier" version bracket on their MICH helmets with the two prongs still attached, as well as some SF dudes use(d) them. They are really quite stable on the ACH with a little bending.

blitzkrieg gsd

I say all the velcro is new he said he re did it after geting home. He wouldnt where a helmet like that on a spot and stalk anyway i wouldnt.

Well,there seems to be a lot of speculation about this lid :blink:

Personally I think it's very cool,and would'nt mind it in my collection, personalised lids will always cause this level of speculation,due to their non-standard appearance ,either way very cool and highly collectable piece,hang on to it :thumbsup:

Anders Heintz

Thanks Gaz,

I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon!! It is funny that the new velcro keeps getting brought back up since it was clearly stated it was used in Iraq with a different paintjob, and re painted once back in the US, and new velcro was added at this point. It was never claimed not to be newly refurbished, not by me, and not by the soldier who used it.

If I didn't know Sgt. T, or the helmets history I suppose I would be a bit critical too, but it's too rare of a camo scheme to be faked. Remember, fakers copy what they see in pictures of SF Opeators etc.

Thanks Gaz,

I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon!! It is funny that the new velcro keeps getting brought back up since it was clearly stated it was used in Iraq with a different paintjob, and re painted once back in the US, and new velcro was added at this point. It was never claimed not to be newly refurbished, not by me, and not by the soldier who used it.

If I didn't know Sgt. T, or the helmets history I suppose I would be a bit critical too, but it's too rare of a camo scheme to be faked. Remember, fakers copy what they see in pictures of SF Opeators etc.

No worries Anders,it's a very nice lid,with provenance :thumbsup:

And your right the camo is a one off, not easily copied, so I guess at the end of the day, people need to read the blurb, it's all in plain english eh ;)

IMHO , one off lid's like your's are always gonna attract attention Good or Bad,it's your lid, enjoy owning it....... :thumbsup:

Whaaaaattt??? You expect people to actually READ the words, rather than just chime in without any knowledge of what has already been said or discussed? Especially when there are photos involved???:think: I wonder how well that would actually work? We might want to try it out slowly, as it seems like such a radical concept. :lol:

Anders Heintz
Whaaaaattt??? You expect people to actually READ the words, rather than just chime in without any knowledge of what has already been said or discussed? Especially when there are photos involved??? I wonder how well that would actually work? We might want to try it out slowly, as it seems like such a radical concept.

Hahah! Nice reply and well put Hoovie :)

Whaaaaattt??? You expect people to actually READ the words, rather than just chime in without any knowledge of what has already been said or discussed? Especially when there are photos involved???:think: I wonder how well that would actually work? We might want to try it out slowly, as it seems like such a radical concept. :lol:

You've just summed up half the problems with this entire forum.

It seems to be a symptom of the internet in general. I often feel as if I am the only one to actually read whole conversations up to the point where I reply :blink:

Oh, I don't know ,I would say probably more like 3/4 of the problems with this entire forum :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

• 4 months later...