Short blade Robeson Shuredge

Bob Hudson

I picked up several knives and bayonets that belong to someone who collected such things (although, sadly, not the top quality). This has a six inch blade and is 10.5 inches overall. I have read that the marks are early ones, maybe pre-WWII. Any ideas - was this civilian, or some Robeson interpretation of the Navy Mark 1?

robeson0911labels.jpg

robeson0911gripb.jpg

Neat looking knife and I agree it looks early. I'm not familiar with the history of that knife maker so can't say how late they made sheath knives. It's not military issue but it or one just like it might have been carried in WW2 as a private purchase piece.

Neat looking knife and I agree it looks early. I'm not familiar with the history of that knife maker so can't say how late they made sheath knives. It's not military issue but it or one just like it might have been carried in WW2 as a private purchase piece.

Thanks Greg. I did some more research this morning and found the Robeson No. 20, which seems similar and then this quote from Frank Trzaska's Knife Knotes ( http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/knife_knotes_12.htm ):

"Early in World War Two the military designation of "Hunting Knife" was any six inch blade knife made as a hunting knife in the traditional pattern. Most had leather handles like the PAL RH 36 or the Robeson or the Kinfolks, they were all official purchase "Hunting Knives."

So, my question then is: were these official Hunting Knives marked in any way or did these predate the MK1, MK2 and USN and USMC marks?

Just last week I picked up some 1960's USMC OD utility shirts and found this in the pocket, with its official listing of a "Knife, Hunting."

prattknife.jpg

The ROBESON #20's I've seen were made to the US Navy Mk 1 pattern and had a 5" blade. But there were several 6" sheath knives made during WW2 by various makers. The ones I've handled just had maker marks on them and maybe a maker model number.....the PAL RH 36, for example....but no military nomenclature.

I wonder if that slip of paper is referring to those Camillus 5" knives typically called "jet pilot's" knives.

Greg

FS:

Your Robeson is WW2 vintage. Not sure if it was ever established to have been an issue knife or just a PX blade, but that is when they were made I believe. I have the same knife. It shows up in Cole's Book III as well, and is probably in Silvey's book too.

The paper reference you pictured mentions that the blade is 7". I think that is a reference to the USMC Fighting/Utility knife.

Regards,

Charlie

The paper reference you pictured mentions that the blade is 7". I think that is a reference to the USMC Fighting/Utility knife.

Regards,

Charlie

Correct: the paper is not related to this Robeson knife other than that I ran across the reference to the military apparently officially using the nomenclature "hunting knife" at the beginning of WWII - and just last week I found that 1968 Marine Corps form referring to "KNIFE, HUNTING 7" W/SHEATH".