WW1 USMC Collar Discs Variation

usmcaviator

I have been following the other thread on Marine collar discs and thought I'd chime in. I have personally seen at least 6 variations of WW1 Marine collar discs and I have been told there are many many more than that (we'll have to wait for a certain book to come out). These variation collar discs I believe to be French or German made. They came on what appears to be a German made USMC enlisted uniform with one overseas stripe. The uniform itself is very interesting as it is made from officer quality material and besides the collar discs, is in every way, an officer's uniform. The uniform is named to a "A. Bowmann" in both the pants and coat. The only A. Bowmann I could find was a Marine Gunner named Alexander Bowman, with one N. So I dont know (looking for help there). Back to the discs, these are one known variation that I know of to be in at least one other collection as a set. I would say that they are indeed a rare variation and worthy of the reference section.

Maj Manifor

post-1-1204415085.jpg

This is the only Marine on the pre-1940 muster rolls who fits, and based on the job he had at the time of this muster record, he was in a position to be visiting tailor shops in Paris:

Name: Alexander H Bowman

Muster Date: Jul 1918

Enlistment Date: 19 May 1917

Station: Office Of The Chief Paymaster, Marine Corps, AEF, Paris, Franc

earlier that year he was with another unit:

Name: Alexander H Bowman

Muster Date: Apr 1918

Enlistment Date: 19 May 1917

Station: 67th Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Regiment, AEF

teufelhunde.ret

Without a doubt, the subject of Marine collar disc's is the most contriversal topic in EGA collecting, there are French made, Army/Navy, German? reunion types and a host of other "reported" originals. We may never know how or where all these originated, but, surely the fakes and conterfits far outnumber orginals. Here are two threads already in reference and this thread will surely join them. I look forward to watching this one develope thumbsup.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8096

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6518 (this one got nearly 800 views during the period it was active!!)