High quality wing reproductions... Made in China?

John Cooper

Hi All,

Here is an interesting link showing some laser engraving of a bit of metal. I am not sure if this is the technology we are talking about or if it can actually make a mold as accurate as we fear, but it is an interesting video.

Patrick

http://www.precisionlasertech.com/html/mol...ving_no__1.html

Cliff, thanks for your kind words.

Patrick, this is a video explaining the Direct Metal Laser Sintering technique.

I checked, and Silver is not a metal currently being used for DMLS. The metals range is quite limited, and is:

Stainless Steel

Maraging Steel

Cobalt Chrome

Nickle Alloy

Bronze

Titanium

Aluminium

For the CAD side there's little point in producing a fake from any technique other than stamping, if the original form was stamped. Casting is sometimes used, because it does not require complex tooling or equipment. The end result is easy to spot, though (blow holes, loss of definition, normally a little smaller than the original, due to shrinkage on cooling). By stamping, you avoid these features which immediately identify the wing as a fake.

This video shows how measurements from non contact lasers can be used to build up a 3D image, which can then be processed by CAD into a program for cutting a stamping tool.

I couldn't find a really good video of a stamping tool being made, but this tooling bing produced from a CNC system should give a reasonable idea of how it works.

As I said last time, should this ever be perfected, then you will need to be looking at the casting of the pins and catches, the oxidisation and ageing of the piece. These are art more than engineering skill, and not easy to achieve.

Best Regards,

Prof

(PS, I only have one set of wings, a sterling "Graduation" set of glider wings given to me after my own first glider solo at age 17.) :thumbsup:

As a veteran wing collector, I have seen soooo many different types of fake wings that one thing is certain ~ fakes evolve and change all the time. Pick any wing hallmark and there is history on the fakes of each, whether it be Lux, Blackinton, LGB, Meyer, etc., etc. Depending on the motivation and means of each source of the fakes, you see their work hit the open market and the dialog in the hobby begins. In my opinion, the best defense against the threat of fakes hurting / killing our hobby and investment in this material is continued education and exposure to (both) the originals and the fakes. I am no authority on CAD/CNC machining or production, but I doubt that it will take too long for collectors to become educated enough to detect these type wings in the marketplace. This forum serves as a great opportunity to keep the information available for collectors to make educated choices in the hobby. The (sharing) is what will keep our hobby strong!

Insigina Hunter

I work in a machine shop using HAAS mini mills and lathes (CNC) and such. I do believe that if a job came in to produce wings like these that we could figure out not only a way to make them, but in large quantities as well.

One of the many things Ive learned while working there is you can make almost anything you can think of in a machine shop. Ive made a couple custom bike parts, parts for my gas RC car, paintball gun parts, plus everything we make in the shop for other companies. Never thought about repo wings but with some of the genuis's in the field of engineering Im sure someone has tried.

I work in a machine shop using HAAS mini mills and lathes (CNC) and such. I do believe that if a job came in to produce wings like these that we could figure out not only a way to make them, but in large quantities as well.

One of the many things Ive learned while working there is you can make almost anything you can think of in a machine shop. Ive made a couple custom bike parts, parts for my gas RC car, paintball gun parts, plus everything we make in the shop for other companies. Never thought about repo wings but with some of the genuis's in the field of engineering Im sure someone has tried.

So are you volunteering? :think: :rolleyes: