The 15th Co, 2nd Rgmt, 1st Brigade, Haiti Aug 1915 - Nov 1916

pahiggins

Paul; No problem. I saved them to my PC then "blew them ups" so I could read. I did send you a PM by the way.

You have some great things here. Wonderful additions to the forum.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Another interesting fact about Victor Bleasdale is that his brother Redwald was also awarded the DSC. They are the only brothers to have been awarded the DSC.

Redwald Bleasdale served in the United States Army during World War I. He would be awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions during the Second Battle of the Marne.

His award citation reads:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Private Redwald H. Bleasdale (ASN: 544469), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Headquarters Company, 30th Infantry Regiment, 3d Division, A.E.F., at Mezy, France, 15 July 1918. Private Bleasdale remained with his gun during a heavy bombardment, until his gun pit was blown in, and then removed his gun to another position and continued the fire under heavy machine-gun fire. Later, in the same action, he volunteered and went to reconnoiter a small woods believed to be occupied by enemy troops. There he killed several Germans single handed, and returned to our lines with an American soldier.

Thank you so much for sharing the photos....... :thumbsup:

USMC lined up possibly Haiti - ca. 1915-1916

post-22711-1295733157.jpg

Pvt. Frank W. Dunham, center (next to the guy with the bandage on his head . . . was this a standard field dressing for a toothache or something? :think: )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Unidentified USMC Corporal Haiti 1916. Possibly Cpl. Irving F. Bigelow. Taken at Eugene Mevs Studio, Port Au Prince.

post-22711-1295367559.jpg

post-22711-1299979295.jpg

post-22711-1299978796.jpg

A photo of Frank W. Dunham and unidentified marine possibly post-Haiti. The Unidentified marine is the same guy as in the Eugene Mevs Studio portrait taken in Haiti (see above). I believe the 2 likely candidates for this marine's identity are Irving F. Bigelow or Aubrey M. Haley.

Bigelow and Dunham served together in France the 15th Co., 6th Machine Gun Battalion. Haley apparently left the Marine Corps after his enlistment ended but according to Victor F. Bleasdale's letter Haley served in France with the Army during WW1.

Frank W. Dunham (I believe) with unidentified ladies, possibly in VA 1917, France 1917-1918, or Haiti ca. 1916. Below the EGA on his campaign hat it reads "15" though I can't tell if he is a corporal yet - that happened in June 1917.

post-22711-1300040113.jpg

photo belonged to Frank W. Dunham (in a photo album almost entirely of Haiti photos)

teufelhunde.ret

Very interesting photo, I have a suspicion those ladies may be his sisters... the nose on all three are remarkably similar.

Unidentified USMC Corporal Haiti 1916. Possibly Cpl. Irving F. Bigelow. Taken at Eugene Mevs Studio, Port Au Prince.

post-22711-1295367559.jpg

If the photo is of Aubrey Haley he distinguished himself in Haiti and was rewarded with a promotion.

post-22711-1300131802.jpg

Paul, can you read what the photo says?

I looked at a higher resolution scan on my hard drive and i believe it says:

"B-44 The Holy tree where Hatiens worship at night. Port Au Prince. By Raymond U.S.M.C. 1915"

The typo "Hatiens' is in the original.

Sorry about the difficulty in reading it the original is faded.

Paul

• 3 years later...
Josie P Cat

Hi Paul Higgins ~

I have really enjoyed many of the photos that you have posted on this forum. I am about to submit my dissertation at the University of Washington, and i would like to use the picture "Hunting Bandits near Fort Liberté." Do you own the copyright? And would it be possible to contact you directly to request permissions (officially and legally) to use this photo? I'm afraid i couldn't find contact info, and i am sorry to clutter up the forum with such a pragmatic request.

Sincerely

tish lopez

maoquai at gmail dot com