The 15th Co, 2nd Rgmt, 1st Brigade, Haiti Aug 1915 - Nov 1916

pahiggins

teufelhunde.ret
Pvt. Victor F. Bleasdale, USMC

photograph taken at Eugene Mevs Studio, Haiti, ca. 1915 - 1916

Hello and welcome aboard "pahiggnis". This is an exciting addition, as he went on to retire as a General. He lead quite a distinguised career. Do you have more pic's from his time in Haiti? s/f Darrell

bleasdale.jpg

His Distinguished Service Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to First Lieutenant Victor F. Bleasdale (MCSN: 0-85), United States Marine Corps, for repeated acts of extraordinary heroism while serving with the Sixth Machine-Gun Battalion, Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F., in action near Blanc Mont, France, 8 October 1918. On several occasions, regardless of his personal safety, First Lieutenant Bleasdale led his machine-gun platoon through heavy machine-gun and artillery fire. When the Infantry company which he was supporting was halted by the fire of two enemy Maxims, Lieutenant Bleasdale formed his platoon as infantry, assaulted and captured both the enemy guns.

His first Navy Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to First Lieutenant Victor F. Bleasdale (MCSN: 0-85), United States Marine Corps, for repeated acts of extraordinary heroism while serving with the 6th Machine-Gun Battalion, 6th Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F. in action near Blanc Mont, France, 8 October 1918. On several occasions, regardless of his personal safety, First Lieutenant Bleasdale led his machine-gun platoon through heavy machine-gun and artillery fire. When the Infantry company which he was supporting was halted by the fire of two enemy Maxims, Lieutenant Bleasdale formed his platoon as infantry, assaulted and captured both the enemy guns.

His second Navy Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting a Gold Star in lieu of a Second Award of the Navy Cross to Captain Victor F. Bleasdale (MCSN: 0-85), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism, coolness and excellent judgment while performing advance guard duty on 25 July 1927, in an important expedition into Nueva Segovia, Nicaragua, during the progress of an insurrection in that country. As the expedition approached San Fernando, Captain Bleasdale accompanied only by his orderly rode ahead into the town and on being attacked, fearlessly proceeded against tremendous odds and returning the fire held the enemy in check until the arrival of reinforcements. Largely through his prompt, courageous and effective action, serious casualties to the personnel and train of the expedition were averted.

Hello and welcome aboard "pahiggnis". This is an exciting addition, as he went on to retire as a General. He lead quite a distinguised career. Do you have more pic's from his time in Haiti? s/f Darrell

post-376-1295091725.jpg

His Distinguished Service Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to First Lieutenant Victor F. Bleasdale (MCSN: 0-85), United States Marine Corps, for repeated acts of extraordinary heroism while serving with the Sixth Machine-Gun Battalion, Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F., in action near Blanc Mont, France, 8 October 1918. On several occasions, regardless of his personal safety, First Lieutenant Bleasdale led his machine-gun platoon through heavy machine-gun and artillery fire. When the Infantry company which he was supporting was halted by the fire of two enemy Maxims, Lieutenant Bleasdale formed his platoon as infantry, assaulted and captured both the enemy guns.

His first Navy Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to First Lieutenant Victor F. Bleasdale (MCSN: 0-85), United States Marine Corps, for repeated acts of extraordinary heroism while serving with the 6th Machine-Gun Battalion, 6th Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F. in action near Blanc Mont, France, 8 October 1918. On several occasions, regardless of his personal safety, First Lieutenant Bleasdale led his machine-gun platoon through heavy machine-gun and artillery fire. When the Infantry company which he was supporting was halted by the fire of two enemy Maxims, Lieutenant Bleasdale formed his platoon as infantry, assaulted and captured both the enemy guns.

His second Navy Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting a Gold Star in lieu of a Second Award of the Navy Cross to Captain Victor F. Bleasdale (MCSN: 0-85), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism, coolness and excellent judgment while performing advance guard duty on 25 July 1927, in an important expedition into Nueva Segovia, Nicaragua, during the progress of an insurrection in that country. As the expedition approached San Fernando, Captain Bleasdale accompanied only by his orderly rode ahead into the town and on being attacked, fearlessly proceeded against tremendous odds and returning the fire held the enemy in check until the arrival of reinforcements. Largely through his prompt, courageous and effective action, serious casualties to the personnel and train of the expedition were averted.

I possibly have more photos of Bleasdale in Haiti, though it can be hard at times to be 100% sure that it is him. I strongly believe that I have more photos taken BY Bleasdale in Haiti in 1916.

Last year my wife discovered a treasure trove of USMC 1914 - 1919 photos and service medals in a humidor in the back of her mother's closet (her Mother is now deceased) in FL. The box originally belonged to Frank W. Dunham, USMC, who served from 24 Oct. 1914 until discharged in June 1919. Dunham was the uncle of my wife's mother and left the box to her.

Dunham and Bleasdale served together in Haiti and in France w/ AEF 2d Div., 4th Brigade, the 6th Machine Gun Battalion, 15th Co.

The attached "Hunting Bandits . . . Haiti 1916 by V.F.B" photo (it has already been posted in this thread) was in Dunham's humidor along with other "by V.F.B." Haiti photos.

post-22711-1295126084.jpg

I strongly believe the photos were taken by Bleasdale - as were later photos he sent to Dunham in the U.S. after Dunham was seriously wounded at Blanc Mont. The photos, taken in France (Belleau Woods, Soissons, St. Mihiel and Blanc Mont) were taken by Bleasdale, except the one attached below. (Post-Armistice Bleasdale - reverse reads "Yours Truly (as a hero)"

post-22711-1295126179.jpg post-22711-1295126343.jpg

I will try to pst more photos as time permits.

I am glad this forum exists - it provides a wealth of information and experience in solving ID challenges.

Best regards,

Paul Higgins

Here is a group photo from Haiti ca. 1915 - 1916.

post-22711-1295127795.jpg

Pvt. Frank W. Dunham is in the top row on the right (left arm leaning on the wall and his hat in his right hand).

Here is a group photo on a launch, I believe it is from Haiti ca. 1915 - 1916.

post-22711-1295128528.jpg

Pvt. Frank W. Dunham is in the center of the boat with his hat in his right hand next to the well dressed Marine.

I believe this from Haiti as well. Frank W. Dunham is seated in front of the sergeant, next to the guy with the bandage on his ear. The guy with the bandage on his ear could be Bleasdale, but I am far from certain of that.

post-22711-1295129910.jpg

Paul;

Welcome to the Forum. Please continue to add to this thread.

The USMC in Haiti can be a very difficult area to find pictures of, and I think that this thread has given many of us quite a bit of information and enjoyment.

This thread has my interest because my Grand Dad was in the USMC in Haiti August 1916 assigned to the 11th Company at Ouanaminthe. (North Coast of Haiti near Dominican Republic boarder, 10 miles south of Fort Liberte). On 29 August 1916 a Hurricane hit Haiti, on the DR side of the island, the USS Memphis was destroyed by that Hurricane at Santa Domingo Harbor.

My Grand Dad returned to the states in Feb 1917 to help form up the 5th Regiment.

Any pictures you can share with us would be greatly appreciated.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Paul;

Welcome to the Forum. Please continue to add to this thread.

The USMC in Haiti can be a very difficult area to find pictures of, and I think that this thread has given many of us quite a bit of information and enjoyment.

This thread has my interest because my Grand Dad was in the USMC in Haiti August 1916 assigned to the 11th Company at Ouanaminthe. (North Coast of Haiti near Dominican Republic boarder, 10 miles south of Fort Liberte). On 29 August 1916 a Hurricane hit Haiti, on the DR side of the island, the USS Memphis was destroyed by that Hurricane at Santa Domingo Harbor.

My Grand Dad returned to the states in Feb 1917 to help form up the 5th Regiment.

Any pictures you can share with us would be greatly appreciated.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

I am fascinated by my wife's the discovery all these pieces of personal family history that have led me to discover some of their significance more generally. I was looking back at the Muster rolls for Dunham's service in Haiti and realized that he served, and fought with Sgt. Dan Daly AND then Major Smedley Butler (not in the actions for which they won their MoHs) but from Nov. 1 to Nov. 15 1915 including the 11/5/15 Capture of Ft. Capois.

here is another photo from Haiti ca. 1915-16 taken by Victor F. Bleasdale

post-22711-1295322884.jpg

Excellent additions to this thread. I sure wish my old eyes could read the document you posted. I could read some of it, but some of the posts are a bit difficult for these old eyes.

Thank you for posting these pictures & the document. Wonderful additions.

Fantastic !!

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

teufelhunde.ret

Paul - keep the photo's coming. The Marines in these photo's particiapted in the raids on Fort Dipitie, October and Fort Riviere, November 1915 resulting in no less than 6 Medal of Honor being awarded to: Smedley Butler, William Upsur, Edward Ostermann, Dan Daly, Ross Iams and Samuel Gross.

iams___times.jpg

Paul - keep the photo's coming. The Marines in these photo's particiapted in the raids on Fort Dipitie, October and Fort Riviere, November 1915 resulting in no less than 6 Medal of Honor being awarded to: Smedley Butler, William Upsur, Edward Ostermann, Dan Daly, Ross Iams and Samuel Gross.

Great mention in the NYT!

I overlooked mentioning Upshur as receiving the MoH, nice catch!

Best regards,

Paul Higgins

Excellent additions to this thread. I sure wish my old eyes could read the document you posted. I could read some of it, but some of the posts are a bit difficult for these old eyes.

Thank you for posting these pictures & the document. Wonderful additions.

Fantastic !!

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Jon -

Sorry about that - I was trying to fit the photos within the 150k limitation. Please let me know if there is some other way to get you a readable copy. The original is regular 8.5" by 11" paper - very readable.

Paul Higgins