Need info on M4 bayonet with wood grips

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1189479156.jpg

I picked this M4 bayonet up a few years ago and would like to know just how rare it is and when it was manufactured. This is an M4 bayonet made by Case. It has the wood grips and I know that this is a rarer version M4 but I would like to know just how rare is this bayonet. I have read conflicting info on when the wood grips were produced and I figured you guys would know the true story. I have not seen many of this type for sale so could you also inform on the value. I picked this up at an estate auction and I did not pay much. The bayonet looks like it was never issued and only has marks on blade from being pulled from the scabbard. I appreciate any info. Thanks

Woodpr.jpg

The general feeling among collectors seems to be that the wood handle was fitted to the M4 to replace leather grips that had deteriorated. They are rather uncommon today.

The wood is apparently not a native North American species, and the general feeling is that it is a tropical hardwood. I have read differing opinions as to where the work was done, with the Philippines and Okinawa being mentioned.

The grip is made as one piece, and very coarsely checkered. This requires that the butt plate be removed and the grip slid over the tang. Note in the specimen pictured above (a Camillus) the plastic spacers were retained. The plate is an early type Standard Products, and the rear spacer has the slot for pin removal. The tang was rather roughly peened when the plate was reinstalled.

M.H. Cole in his U.S. Military Knives Book 4 shows a photo on page 115 of a US soldier in Korea with what appears to be one of these wood gripped M4s on his belt. I saw another photo some years ago that also may show one of these in use by US forces in Korea.

I think it is at least possible that this conversion was indeed done in a US facility, likely in the Pacific/Far East area, probably in the late 1940s or very early 1950s prior to the adoption of the plastic grips. I think Pacific because the leather rot and disintegration occurred mostly in hot, damp climates. It is also quite possible that the work was done by one of the countries in that area and that some few found their way into the US supply system. If anyone has any firm information on these, I would certainly like to know it.

As they were not done in the factory, most of the makers can be found with this grip and value is normally about the same regardless of maker. Many collectors avoid these since no proof has been found that these were actually US modified and issued. Prices seem to vary widely on eBay when these come up for sale, but in general they seem to command a premium of 20% or so over a conventional leather grip version. Again, however, prices will vary wildly on these as I have seen them go cheap to very high.