Service Academy and Military College Uniforms

maddog1129

As with patches, ranks, DUI's, insignia, home decor, uniform accessories and miscellaneous, here is a thread to show off official uniform items of the five federal service academies (USMA, USNA, USCGA, USMMA, USAFA), the major state and private military colleges and academies (VMI, VPI, Citadel, VWIL/Mary Baldwin, Texas A&M, Norwich), the maritime colleges (Texas A&M Galveston, Maine Maritime, Massachusetts Maritime, Great Lakes Maritime, SUNY Maritime, California Maritime), and 2-year colleges (North Georgia College & State University, Georgia Military College, Wentworth Military Academy, New Mexico Military Institute, Valley Forge Military Academy & College, and Marion Military Institute).

I'm going to start simple with a regulation gym t-shirt for the US Merchant Marine Academy

post-4140-1295300568.jpg

post-4140-1295300579.jpg

post-4140-1295300590.jpg

Here is a North Georgia College ROTC uniform for an Infantry Officer.

ROTC_Ga_tunic_left.JPG

A closeup of the distinctive insignia that matches the shoulder patch.

ROTC_Ga_tunic_close.JPG

That's a very cool uniform, Sarge. :)

Thanks! I particularly like the matching screwback DIs and the blue Infantry piping. Here is another shot of the right side sleeve showing the blue ROTC patch and star. This uniform is a pre-war version and is named.

ROTC_Ga_left_cuff.JPG

• 9 months later...
VolunteerArmoury
As with patches, ranks, DUI's, insignia, home decor, uniform accessories and miscellaneous, here is a thread to show off official uniform items of the five federal service academies (USMA, USNA, USCGA, USMMA, USAFA), the major state and private military colleges and academies (VMI, VPI, Citadel, VWIL/Mary Baldwin, Texas A&M, Norwich), the maritime colleges (Texas A&M Galveston, Maine Maritime, Massachusetts Maritime, Great Lakes Maritime, SUNY Maritime, California Maritime), and 2-year colleges (North Georgia College & State University, Georgia Military College, Wentworth Military Academy, New Mexico Military Institute, Valley Forge Military Academy & College, and Marion Military Institute).

I'm going to start simple with a regulation gym t-shirt for the US Merchant Marine Academy

North Georiga College & State University is a four year institution for almost if not all of its history. But, I still have all of my cadet uniforms from Georgia Military College as well as my faculty uniforms (which I didn't even get to wear since my department changed to business attire at the time I was hired). I'll dig them all out when I get back to my home during leave.

USAFA Athletic Jacket, A-Jacket.

Basically a lightweight, windbreaker jacket, with the class year, squadron patch and class exemplar. Also, a varsity letter can be worn.

018.jpg

019.jpg

• 1 month later...
Here is a North Georgia College ROTC uniform for an Infantry Officer.

post-130-1295374335.jpg

A closeup of the distinctive insignia that matches the shoulder patch.

post-130-1295374464.jpg

Sarge, where did you get this uniform? This is the finest NGC uniform ihave seen from the late 1930's this version was worn from the late 1920's to 1944. I do have one correction to make on the set up North Georgia never wore the US with ROTC over the US. Enlisted csdets wore the ROTC torch while hte officers wore ROTC on the left collar and NGC on the other during hte 20's it was later changes to ROTC on both in the early 30's. Do youhave the service hat that goes with this uniform. I would like to know if you have another set?

SandCop,

I bought this outfit from another forum member who found it at a garage sale as I recall. At any rate, it came just as you see it with the blue enamel ROTC superimposed over US collar brass on the lapels along with the huge enamel DIs and ribbons. No cap and no pants unfortunately.

This is the only North Georgia uniform that I have. I do have a couple of other early ROTC uniforms and here is another that is a red piped Signal Corps from Wisconsin. This one is also pre-war and has red enamel ROTC over US collar brass and a Signals ribbon that came with it.

WI_ROTC_tunic.JPG

WI_ROTC_collar.JPG

• 9 months later...
ShooterMcGavin

My old uniform from SUNY Maritime. Removed the ribbons and name tag a long time ago, can't seem to find them. The collar devices are the Seal of the State of New York.

2qvxfrn.jpg2vx4p36.jpg

My old uniform from SUNY Maritime. Removed the ribbons and name tag a long time ago, can't seem to find them. The collar devices are the Seal of the State of New York.

Shooter,

Were you a merchant sailor?

This is a cool jacket. I love the cuff braid - that it is the same (or at least closely resembles) as a U.S. Navy warrant officer's.

ShooterMcGavin

Yes, I still sail as a 3rd Mate on bulk carriers running grain between the U.S. and Africa/Far East, luckily sans the uncomfortable uniforms we had to wear in school!

The sleeve insignia of a warrant officer (at SUNY) is used to denote cadets who are prior service, graduate students or 1st class cadets (seniors) who are on the five year plan. A non-rated 1st class cadet had one solid gold braid and a rated 1st class cadet had two or more, with a maximum of six for Regimental Commander.

Cadets pursuing an engineering officer's license had a propellor in lieu of the anchor on both sleeves.

ShooterMcGavin

35kvm1z.jpg

This is the summer white shirt, worn (when I was there) with black trousers and belt. Affectionately dubbed "salt and peppers." The shoulder boards would reflect the rank of the cadet. Today, the school switched to all white and the shoulder boards are hard boards, not soft. The school used soft boards between 1998 and 2011.

24w5vtz.jpg

Close up of the shoulder board. The pin is the Seal of the State of New York.

34ycgvk.jpg

LEFT: Collar pin for khaki uniform. RIGHT: Collar pin for khaki uniform designating a deck cadet. Engineers wore a propellor.

2qau1le.jpg

The ribbons cadets wear at SUNY Maritime are not reflecting campaigns like servicemember's ribbons, rather they represent accomplishments or associations on campus. On the right, the green and purple ribbon indicated membership in the International Propellor Club, while the one on the left was for certified SCUBA divers who joined the campus SCUBA club.

ou6vci.jpg

Collar insignia for khaki uniform indicating a 3rd Class Cadet (sophomore.) As a new cadet, you wore no insignia on either collar until your first semester ended, when you earned a little "4" pin. When the first year ends, you get the "3" on one collar and a little anchor or propellor on the other. 2nd class cadets wore a little "2" pin, and 1st class wore either a single gold bar for a non-rated cadet, or two or more gold bars (up to six) for whatever command/leadership role they are appointed in the regiment. I can't find mine, perhaps I handed them down as I was promoted at the time.

2dhvi2w.jpg

I made this to better illustrate the insignia and ranks as found on shoulder boards and dress blue sleeves, for easy identification. If anyone finds a use for this chart, more power to you!

I hope this OK to add. While it is no longer a military institution, here is a kepi from Pennsylvania Military College (PMC). PMC was formerly Pennsylvania Military Academy from 1862-1892 and became Widener University in 1972. Widener still offers an ROTC program today.

This kepi would date anywhere from 1903-1929:

post-29885-0-31254200-1350483675_thumb.jpg

And here is a photo of it in wear circa 1927:

post-29885-0-44548000-1350483682_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Would like to add this Massachusetts Nautical School (MNS)Jacket. I think it is from the late 20's-1930's. In 1942 the name was change to Massachusette Maritime Academy(MMA).

post-2501-0-56030600-1357844098.jpg

post-2501-0-87425800-1357844093_thumb.jpg

post-2501-0-97063700-1357844257.jpg

Jason

Wow that's cool and clean. Sort of a mix of everything.

It's interesting he used a officers jacket rather than a cpo style. Also the ww1 style officer coat. There is a name W.S. Foster.

Jason

• 1 month later...
DutchInfid3l

USAFA winter uniform. Named to a Cadet John A. Alexander, dated 1972.

I only have one "old style" cadet shoulder boards, but it still works for display purposes.

Through the winter of 1978 (i.e., until April 1978), winter uniforms consisted of dark blue wool long sleeved shirts and heavy weight wool pants. Ties were worn with the fitted shirts, with the ties tucked into the shirt between the second and third button, "aviator style." Prop and Wings were worn on the shirt collar tabs by upperclassmen and their were epaulet loops for shoulder boards.

d0219991d7d5fdc7302ea453bc806ca9.jpg

b439da41ff04baec100549c49beab139.jpg

Here are some photo examples from the USAFA "class of 1975" web site...

713356f24844b0c93ec4ccf2faf5685e.jpg

3a4b673cc6eed8e8363a801b80478862.jpg