Photo

Safe to assume WW1 Machine Gunner would carry pistol?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RelicHunter99

RelicHunter99
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,763
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone know for certain if most WW1 machine gun soldiers carried pistols rather than rifles? I know this was true of some armies but wasn't sure about US in WW1. I would think it would be true, because it would seem difficult to carry a rifle in that situation.

#2 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

I would say that's a pretty reasonable assumption. Even BAR gunners were provided with a special BAR ammo belts with an integral pistol mag pouch because they were armed with .45s.

Sabrejet

#3 solcarlus

solcarlus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 241
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

Bonjour.

The Gunners had the gun cal.45

above: BAR

below:shosho

Posted Image

regards solcarlus.

Attached Images

• chauchatbeltI.jpg

#4 RelicHunter99

RelicHunter99
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,763
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

Wouldn't a machine gunner were a pistol belt?

#5 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,631 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Wouldn't a machine gunner were a pistol belt?

I would guess either a pistol belt or a rifle belt depending on if he also had a rifle to use or an assitant gunner??

RD

#6 Whisky Beck

Whisky Beck
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,601
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

My grandfather was a machine gunner in the 10th FA, 3rd Div AEF 1917-1919. About 40 years ago before he passed We spoke of WWI and his armament. As a machine gunner he wore a regular pistol belt (I remember because I specifically asked him) with no integral ammo pouches. He had a single double magazine pouch for his M1911 Colt automatic pistol, which he wore on the left front of his belt.

In my experience in the military there is the regulation way and the way it was done in the field and in combat. Now is he a typical example of machine gunner, or an atypical example?

I know he was atypical in at least one way. In addition to his issued M1911, he also "found" a M1917 revolver with holster and he added that to his belt wearing it on the left. He said the butt of the revolver was to the rear on that holster when on the left side.

He was a two gun gunner from Iowa!

#7 45ACP

45ACP
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,776
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

For the gunner his primary weapon would have been the machine gun and he would have been issued the pistol as a personal defense weapon if the MG becomes unusable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users