ID needed for Donald Duck emblem

Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor

Hopefully DisneyDave or another "Disney" collector will know the ID of this one , I have the Book "Disney Dons Dogtags" and on the front cover top left, the emblem of "Donald" riding in a coin operated "type" of plane that has a control bar from it's lower body, movement marks etc , Donald is holding his cap up over his head and is obviously enjoying the ride .

Anyone who knows what unit/command etc this was of please let me know, it's appears to be USN and I'm leaning towards some type of Link trainer/flight training unit .

Thanks !

Johnny

I'm at work right now, but based on your description I think I have it listed in my database...will look later tonight. Sounds familiar and I think it's one that may have been pictured on one of the yellow colored matchbooks as well...for a training squadron if I recall. Anyhow, more later...

Unknown Naval Air Station, Utility Squadron No. 5. The design was created in early 1942.

blog_utility_squad_no._5.jpg

This design was printed by the Maryland Match Company onto a matchbook for the National Match Company.

...and the design was also featured on a W.L. Stensgaard bond poster (one of a series of 54 different bond posters, all of which featured Disney-designed insignia).

blog_utility_sq_5.jpg

Johnny Signor

Hey Dave , much thanks for the postings, and the ID , On th "Disney Dons Dogtags" book cover the plane and donald are done in various colors of blue , would you possibly know which is the "correct" colors for the emblem ?

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Unfortunately no. The only real way I think to knwo what the true colors were, would be to see the original art. Unfortunately, the Disney Archives isn't even much of a help in this regard - they have a lot of images of the combat insignia designed at the Studio during the war, but many of them are just black and white photos.

Johnny Signor

Yeah , thanks anyway , man I wish they weren't so "possesive" of thier military emblems/art , there's so many really cool designs that have not even been published I bet !

Johnny

I keep losing track, but I have identified at least 1,000 to 1,100 of the estimated 1,200 designs created during the war at the Disney Studio. In most cases I know the month and year the design was created, the name of the unit that received the emblem, and the name of the Disney artist that created the design.

I have images for somewhere between 800 - 900 of the designs, and I have written somewhere in the neighborhood of around 600 - 700 related unit biographies.

I have two different search-able databases - one is just info, the second one also includes images.

I've also printed a copy of every entry and put them all into three ring binders, organized by the year the design was created.

It's been a labor of love for around 15 years.

And yes, there are dozens and dozens of designs that have never been reprinted since the war.

Cheers!