from ugly to looking good?

BILL THE PATCH

Nicely done Bill! If this is your first attempt at a restoration/preservation, all I can say is :bravo:

What was your method for applying the cork? I have a battered old rust pot I thought I would attempt a restoration on and was thinking of a wine cork and a cheese grater....but if you have a better method I'd love to hear about it...

Anyway, great job! Congrats!

Rick

Very detailed post-- really enjoyed the photos from all steps of the process. I'd say your restoration is quite an improvement from the state it was rescued in!

Robswashashore

An M1 helmet for a flower pot! That's why I frequent this forum, fellas -- to provide that softening, feminine touch to the hobby!

Seriously, though, it looks terrific. Good job with the JB Weld...

Jean

What was your method for applying the cork? I have a battered old rust pot I thought I would attempt a restoration on and was thinking of a wine cork and a cheese grater....but if you have a better method I'd love to hear about it...

Not the OP, but I had some success by using a wood rasp to reduce a cork held in a vise. Once I had a pile of cork debris I screened it to rmove the big pieces and the dust. I made a shaker out of a plastic bottle with a lid and shook it over my helmet after I sprayed a wet coat of paint. Once dry I oversprayed about a dozen more color coats.

I've also read that crushed cork is available via model railroading retailers, but I was not able to find ant in my area. HTH

To the OP: NICE save!

Tim

Nice work...and a good save Bill! You are getting better as these go along....this one looks very cool. :thumbsup:

X 2. Great work Bill!

fallschirmjager

Bill

Very good work. If you want some advice, use finer grade cork and try and spread it more evenly, I do it by sprinkling small amounts with my fingers at a height so it falls gently onto the paint. Allow to dry and paint another coat of OD over this. Leave to dry a good few days and then sand down with fine grade sandpaper. Then paint OD again. This way you get the original 'flat' effect as the originals had. At the moment the cork on yours is just a little to proud. But I love the metal glue you use, does it dry like metal or is it indeed metal?

p.s. no chinstraps being added?

Mike