WWI Purple Heart toPVT Frederick C. Herbison Co D 108th Infantry 27th Division

BigJohn#3RD

Frederick C Herbison was a member of Company D, 108th Infantry Regiment, 27th Division ("O'Ryan's Roughnecks" in honor of their Division Commander). PVT Herbison was wounded on September 8th 1918 during the 27th Division's drive against the Hindenburg Line.

http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/w...hInfDivMain.htm

Here is a link to the history of the 108th Infantry Regiment's service in the AEF

http://net.lib.byu.edu/~rdh7/wwi/memoir/Oakleaf/108th.htm

What fascinated me about this group beside the Purple Heart, Victory Medal and the City of Mount Vernon NY is the history of PVT Herbison being reported as KIA in Flanders Belgium. Which can often happen, especially back in WWI. Shortly after purchasing it some forum members came forward with links to the 108th Infantry Regiment Web Posting of Frederick Herbisons picture in the company roles; for those of us who collect militaria this is a very rare luck to find a picture of the vet to go with a medal grouping, especially a WWI medal group. Another reason I have been always intreastead in the 27th Division is that my Great Uncle served with them in WWII and was KIA during the Battle of Okinawa.

When I received the medal group I was happy to see that here was a ribbon bar that included the Purple Heat Ribbon along with what looked like the New Your State Conspicuous Cross. This I found interesting and figured during the Christmas Holiday when I requested his card from the New York State Archives I would ask them to check and see if he was on their roles.

Alas I would not have a chance to do that as I received a message from a person who was researching the history of his ancestors on line found the post about his grandfather being in the 108th infantry and the medal group. His mother and recently deceased uncle (the children of Mr Herbison did not know of the medal group) and he and his mother could only assume he had given the medal to close friend or relative that had served in WWII. The gentlemen proved beyond a doubt that he was the Grandson of PVT Herbison as he had a copy of his Honorable Discharge papers and a much better photo PVT Frederick C Herbison and told me that his Grandfather was very proud of his Purple Heart Ribbon and wore it on his Police Uniform.

Additionally he offered to pay me more then what I paid for it but I did not take him up on the offer as I know what it is to have very little of the service members service. My uncles Purple Heart, documents and letters related to his death while serving with the Co B 105th Infantry Regiment 27th Infantry Division are lost out there somewhere as no one in my family seems to have anything other then a newspaper clipping related to his death. Additionally, family members have lost the Purple Heart, and documents related to another Great Uncles service in the Great War as well; maybe I or another family member will reclaim the documents and medals of my ancestors some day. So without further delay I will post the medals, photo and documents related to PVT Frederick C Herbison's Service in the First World War, that war that was supposed to end all wars.

post-5224-1294630922.jpg

post-5224-1294630960.jpg

Roster to the unit photo, more information about PVT Herbison and the AGO Card for his Purple Heart which was issued in 1942

post-5224-1294631923.jpg

post-5224-1294631955.jpg

post-5224-1294631981.jpg

Back of Discharge. I would like to thank the family members for the photo and discharge of PVT Frederick C. Herbison.

John

post-5224-1294632783.jpg

What an awesome group, medals pics and paperwork. Well done!

Thanks, one of the most complete WWI Groups that I had. :thumbsup:

Regards

John

So John,

What is to become of the grouping ?

Hi Jack's Son

Good question, and I am glad you asked I sent the medal group back to the family where it belongs.

Sorry bout that, I was so busy telling my tale that I over looked the second purpose of my posting. I believe the grouping belongs in the family and the family member came across as a sincere person who genuinely wanted to see the group within the family. Have lost 2 purple hearts and related material of family members I felt it was the only thing I could do.

Regards

John

John,

Perhaps when this settles in for you,

you will add a post to the thread about the episode.

It may help another when they hear the knock.

John, That's a very nice grouping and a really nice thing that you did for the family! Some of my father's things are floating out there somewhere and it would be nice to think that I would have a chance to get them back. Well done!

Collector5516

A nice group but you definitely did the right thing. It's always a great thing to reunite pieces with their family (especially when the family member is very interested in his/her heritage). :thumbsup:

A nice group but you definitely did the right thing. It's always a great thing to reunite pieces with their family (especially when the family member is very interested in his/her heritage). :thumbsup:

That's a great group. I wonder why only the Defensive Sector clasp on the Victory Medal? Anyway, you did a very nice thing by returning the medals to the family.

Pete

He was actually wounded on August 9 (8/9) during the initial period of the division's combat training with the British when the 27th's infantry and MG units were cycled through a brief stay in the trenches. Most of the casualties during this period occurred when the units were moving into/out of the trenches and were most vulnerable to highly accurate German artillery fire (he was wounded by shrapnel). I believe he never returned to his unit, this would explain the VM with only the Defensive Sector bar and he arrived back in the States early, on December 21, 1918. The division did not return until mid-March 1919 and was demobilized shortly thereafter. He was discharged on May 28, 1919, perhaps because he was still undergoing medical treatment. The family should request a copy of his AGO card from the NY State Archives which would clear this up. It only costs a dollar and will be refunded if they can't find anything. However it turns out, it's an interesting group from two aspects: he was among the first casualties in his division and his WW II-issue PH is not a replacement.

He was actually wounded on August 9 (8/9) during the initial period of the division's combat training with the British when the 27th's infantry and MG units were cycled through a brief stay in the trenches. Most of the casualties during this period occurred when the units were moving into/out of the trenches and were most vulnerable to highly accurate German artillery fire (he was wounded by shrapnel). I believe he never returned to his unit, this would explain the VM with only the Defensive Sector bar and he arrived back in the States early, on December 21, 1918. The division did not return until mid-March 1919 and was demobilized shortly thereafter. He was discharged on May 28, 1919, perhaps because he was still undergoing medical treatment. The family should request a copy of his AGO card from the NY State Archives which would clear this up. It only costs a dollar and will be refunded if they can't find anything. However it turns out, it's an interesting group from two aspects: he was among the first casualties in his division and his WW II-issue PH is not a replacement.

Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting.

Pete