LGB balfour wing patterns

armillary_journey

I think the wing is perfectly good. I compared your pictures to the exact same style of LGB that I have, had it for years, and I can't see anything out of order.

100% good wing

I got to go with the rest of the boys. 100% good wing, IMHO.

Unless I am missing something???

Patrick

Not positive, but my guess is the OP was looking for some free advertising and validation for his auction...

Perhaps I am wrong.

armillary_journey
Not positive, but my guess is the OP was looking for some free advertising and validation for his auction...

Perhaps I am wrong.

Yes, you are wrong CWNORMA. I thought it was an Amico wing. Bet you didn't think of that?

LGB made about 3 or 4 wing patterns.

The (apparently) older version that seems to date roughly from the 1920-30 to early WWII is the AMCRAFT/ORBER/LGB pattern. Shown here as a service pilot wing because I don't have the pilot wing in my collection.

They seemed to then switch to what appears to have been a very common and very popular pattern of wing that was used during WWII and likely well into the KW period. This wing pattern is related (if not identical) to the AMICO pattern, but any number of other companies used this pattern. LGB used this pattern for other ratings, and will use a center device riveted on a wing "blank".

post-1519-1294697052.jpg

post-1519-1294697167.jpg

LGB made about 3 or 4 wing patterns.

The (apparently) older version that seems to date roughly from the 1920-30 to early WWII is the AMCRAFT/ORBER/LGB pattern. Shown here as a service pilot wing because I don't have the pilot wing in my collection.

They seemed to then switch to what appears to have been a very common and very popular pattern of wing that was used during WWII and likely well into the KW period. This wing pattern is related (if not identical) to the AMICO pattern, but any number of other companies used this pattern. LGB used this pattern for other ratings, and will use a center device riveted on a wing "blank".

While I have no proof, I believe that sometime after WWII and into the KW period, LGB also began to use this third pattern. Sometimes seen with a 1-B hallmark, suggesting that it went into production in the late 50's. However, many would still place these wings in the WWII time period. It is also my opinion that the later LGB made wings utilized different styles of "frosting" on their later wing patterns.

Of course adding to this, is that LGB also made an additional pattern 2 inch wing.

In a nut shell, LGB wing patterns have a number of different styles that were made over time. The one at the top of this thread is a valid wing, not a fake wing.

Regards

Patrick

post-1519-1294697364.jpg

Interesting discussion and thanks to Patrick for adding some additional information. This discussion happend to dovetail into a few other threads in recent memory. I have been planning on a thread to cover this but have been too busy with family matters to have the free time to do so but stay tuned... I still want to :)

Anyway the primary posting was a case of mistaken ID from one of our new members who is here to learn. With this in mind I think it is easy to mistake patterns and get a bit overwhelemed by all the variations just look at all the back and forth on the Aussie wing or for that matter the Meyer restrikes or the Chinese Amcraft wings... and just to make a collectors head spin add in the fact you can find many of the patterns commonly associated with several weel known makers being produced by GEMSCO or is it GEMScraft ;)

Thanks to all who provided the info to AJ to verify this is a good wing and AJ keep an eye out you can have this wing in your collection in the near future.

Cheers

John

Yes, you are wrong CWNORMA. I thought it was an Amico wing. Bet you didn't think of that?

Indeed I was. Apologies all around!

Best wishes

Chris

I hope we can continue this line of discussion and share what we know and come out of this thread with what I would hope is a better understanding.

I think the things to consider are the following:

1) Pattern [pelican beak] (to include flat vs. curved...)

2) Finish & Fittings (to include attachment method & lenght of posts...)

3) Makers marks

4) Packaging

5) ???

The wings (below) show the standard WW2 LGB with what I currently think is late war (at the earliest) but before the IOH 1-B code for Balfour was used. As you can see there is a big difference in the shield design along with the finish. Additionally the later wing is curved and the short posts are not hand soldered which typically places it post war. I say typically becuase the technology was available prior to WW2 although according to Joe W was expensive. (need more info on this)

Besides the differences noted above there is also the chnage in the font and it would appear that on the earlier wing LGB & Sterling were stamped by hand as they are always a little different and often with the LGB sightly off whereas the later makers mark appears to be included during the striking process although I may be wrong.

Well I have touched on some of the points and hope to hear the thoughts of others...

PS I would love to see other examples and maybe some better photos of the 1-B wing which I would place 3rd in the current photo lineup as far as date of production.

Ok I had a few free seconds to snap two photos sorry for the poor quality...

post-227-1294724217.jpgpost-227-1294724228.jpg

Ok I can't hit the rack until I have added this one additional photo which shows what i consider to be the standard packaging for balfour wings although maybe other might have more info..? If you have a boxed set that has different type of packaging then please post it.

post-227-1294726147.jpg

armillary_journey

Thanks John Cooper. Correct, just trying to learn here. About the time I thought I knew one little thing, it turned out wrong. I have learned from this to read more, and type less for a couple more years. Or not just put the question in the title, but in the context of the message also.

So apologies for that and to the ebayer that was selling the wing. I kept holding up my two, 2"inch Amico pilot wings and comparing to the one on ebay that was to my untrained eye pretty much identical.

I have six wings books now, and I am on four of six, reading Mr. Duncan Campbells awesome book now. I have read so much in the last two months I think it has served to confuse me more. And Major Morris has some great stuff in print also.

Thanks to all the people on here who share knowledge.

A special thanks to Bob Schwartz who has saved me from my lack of knowledge, and has saved me from buying junk more than once. He is a kind soul who takes alot of his time to help uneducated strangers, as the rest of you do. I have met alot of people in my over half century on this earth, could count of on one hand people with Bobs style of kindness and patience.

Thanks to all. I think one or more of the major universities should have a PhD for Wingology. The field is certainly large and dynamic enough it could qualify. Alot of you in here would certainly qualify.

Oh, is it OK to be jealous of CliffP's collection? :-) I sit on Bob's site many hours and just marvel at the ones he's shared with us.

Thanks-

A_J

Hey All,

Been a busy week, so I thought I would finally add my thoughts and post my LGB set.

Basically holds the line with John and Patrick.

As far as I know-

Top wing, Pre-war to early WWII

Middle, Mid to late WWII

Bottom, End of WWII and post. No real way of knowing if this is a 1945 wing or not, but it's possible.

All are pin back.

My wing collecting stops at 1945, so that's it for my Balfour's.

Cheers, John

post-12439-1295055471.jpg

Thanks for posting John - as for the top wing remember they used that pattern for other wings so likely it was available for some time. Additionally it appears there are two versions one much more heavy... not sure why but I have both.

Cheers

John