• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,587
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Does anybody know anything about them? My Great Grandfather was sent to the 2nd Depot Division from the 4th Pioneers. Did they send replacements to specific units? Thanks.
Eric

#2 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

According to my information, 4th Pioneer Infantry was organized in February 1918 at Camp Green NC, formed largely from men of the 6th Mass. (National Guard). They went overseas in September 1918, and like many of the Pioneer Infantry units, they were to become a regular Infantry regiment (in this case the 382nd) as part of a new Division, but the Armistice derailed that plan. They returned in February 1919 and were demobilized at Camp Hill, VA.

Men from these units and the Depot Divisions were sent individually and as entire units to serve in other organizations. When the entire unit is detached for service elsewhere, it can be fairly easy to track down, but everybody else? Hard to follow more often than not. Your post caught my eye because right now I am researching an 83rd Division Infantryman who became part of an Engineer outfit with Service of Supply.

#3 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

According to my information, 4th Pioneer Infantry was organized in February 1918 at Camp Green NC, formed largely from men of the 6th Mass. (National Guard). They went overseas in September 1918, and like many of the Pioneer Infantry units, they were to become a regular Infantry regiment (in this case the 382nd) as part of a new Division, but the Armistice derailed that plan. They returned in February 1919 and were demobilized at Camp Hill, VA.

Men from these units and the Depot Divisions were sent individually and as entire units to serve in other organizations. When the entire unit is detached for service elsewhere, it can be fairly easy to track down, but everybody else? Hard to follow more often than not. Your post caught my eye because right now I am researching an 83rd Division Infantryman who became part of an Engineer outfit with Service of Supply.

The 83rd Division was a Depot Division right?

#4 USAFnav

USAFnav
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,467
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

The 83rd Division was a Depot Division right?

Here's a list of the Depot Divisions in France during WWI:
31st -- In France Oct 1918, became 7th Depot Division
39th -- In France Aug 1918, became 5th DD
40th -- In France Aug 1918, became 6th DD
41st -- In France Dec1917, became 1st DD
76th -- In France Jul 1918, became 3rd DD
83rd -- In France Jun 1918, became 2nd DD
85th -- In France Jul 1918, became 4th DD
Other divisions (34th, 38th, 84th, 86th) furnished men for replacements, but I don't think they were officially designated as Depot Divisions. It is a very interesting topic, I'd be interested to read any more info on this, or corrections to this list.
Pete

#5 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Aloha Everyone,

My Grandfather served with the 330th Infantry, 83rd Division (2nd Depot Division)

Here's a link to an old thread on his experiences

A Doughboy's French Vacation

#6 Robswashashore

Robswashashore
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,350
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

My grandfather (that's him in my avatar) was in the 329th Infantry, 83rd Division.

#7 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

So he could have been sent to a unit of the 83rd Division? Or trained with the 83rd and sent to another division?

#8 solcarlus

solcarlus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 241
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:35 AM

Bonjour.

Further information. Note the name change (US Army in the World War 1917-1918)

DIV_AEF0001R.JPG

solcarlus.

Edited by solcarlus, 08 January 2011 - 02:37 AM.

#9 USAFnav

USAFnav
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,467
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

So he could have been sent to a unit of the 83rd Division? Or trained with the 83rd and sent to another division?

He probably would not have been sent TOO a unit in the 83d Division. He might have been sent overseas as a member of the 83d, then been sent as a replacement to the 4th Pioneer Infantry Regiment sometime after arrival in France. Have you seen this book:
Thisted, Moses N. Pershings Pioneer Infantry of World War I. Hemet, CA: Alphabet Printers, 1982.
It is not a thorough history of the Pioneer Infantry Regiments, but it does give some info. I don't have it at hand now, but I can check for any mention of the 4th Regiment. Do you know dates of assignment to the 83d and the 4th for your grandfather?
Also, in the scanned list above, it shows the 8th Division arriving in France in Nov 1918. Only a very few selected elements of the Division even embarked for France. The rest were left at the Port of Embarkation and never made it overseas. See History of Twelfth U.S. Infantry, 1798-1919. Published by Members of the Twelfth U.S. Infantry, 1919.
Hope this helps.
Pete

Edited by USAFnav, 08 January 2011 - 05:21 AM.

#10 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

He probably would not have been sent TOO a unit in the 83d Division. He might have been sent overseas as a member of the 83d, then been sent as a replacement to the 4th Pioneer Infantry Regiment sometime after arrival in France. Have you seen this book:
Thisted, Moses N. Pershing’s Pioneer Infantry of World War I. Hemet, CA: Alphabet Printers, 1982.
It is not a thorough history of the Pioneer Infantry Regiments, but it does give some info. I don't have it at hand now, but I can check for any mention of the 4th Regiment. Do you know dates of assignment to the 83d and the 4th for your grandfather?
Also, in the scanned list above, it shows the 8th Division arriving in France in Nov 1918. Only a very few selected elements of the Division even embarked for France. The rest were left at the Port of Embarkation and never made it overseas. See History of Twelfth U.S. Infantry, 1798-1919. Published by Members of the Twelfth U.S. Infantry, 1919.
Hope this helps.
Pete

I have Pershings Pioneers. Its a great book but only a few sentences about the 4th. He entered service with the 4th and shipped overseas with them also. I guess what Im asking is can you track someone service if they went through a Depot Division? I imagine its pretty impossible.
I found this information from this army book: The Personel Replacement System for the United States Army
http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm4/document.php?...R=365&REC=2

The 3d and 6th Divisions shipped for each corps were to be assigned to the replacement echelon, but only one division, the 41st, could be spared for replacement duty until the latter part of June 1918. It continued as a replacement division until after the Armistice. The 76th Division functioned as a depot division from 3 August 1918 until 7 November 1918. The 32d, 39th, 40th, 83d, 85th, and 35th Divisions operated in the replacement system for varied periods. The 31st Division was designated a depot division but never functioned as such. The 34th, 38th, 84th, and 86th Divisions and the 4th, 55th, and 57th Pioneer Infantry Regiments were broken up on arrival in France and the units reassigned through the 1st and 2d Depot Divisions. The 8th Division was never designated a replacement division, but some of its elements were used in the operation of the replacement system.

The 4th, 55th, and 57th Pioneer Infantry
Three regiments of white pioneer infantry, the 4th, 55th, and 57th, which had been scheduled to form parts of the 96th, 99th, and 100th Infantry Divisions respectively, were broken up, and the troops, who were untrained, passed through the 2d Depot Division.

Edited by erctut1, 08 January 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#11 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

I found this 83rd Division (Second Depot) transfer paperwork on eBay a month ago. Based on the date I picked up knowing the 4th Pioneers were there around that time. Sure enough it mentions a few officers of the 4th being transferred to the 2nd Div.

Attached Images

• 83rd_Div..jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)