I am confused by 17th Airborne officers photo please help

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1189099165.jpg

I was digging through my stuff and came across this photo. The officer is wearing a 17th Airborne patch on his left shoulder. So, this would mean that the unit he was in was part of the 17th Airborne Division. He is also wearing crossed cannons so he is an artillery officer and since it is a black and white photo the cap patch is most likely a red airborne artillery patch. What is confusing is that on closer inspection he is wearing Coastal Artillery crossed cannons. With the little research I have done the 17th Airborne came home from Europe and was deactivated in September of 1945. It also looks like he is wearing European theater ribbons so why would the officer be in the the Coastal Artillery while wearing a 17th AB patch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

ab_off.jpg

I was digging through my stuff and came across this photo. The officer is wearing a 17th Airborne patch on his left shoulder. So, this would mean that the unit he was in was part of the 17th Airborne Division. He is also wearing crossed cannons so he is an artillery officer and since it is a black and white photo the cap patch is most likely a red airborne artillery patch. What is confusing is that on closer inspection he is wearing Coastal Artillery crossed cannons. With the little research I have done the 17th Airborne came home from Europe and was deactivated in September of 1945. It also looks like he is wearing European theater ribbons so why would the officer be in the the Coastal Artillery while wearing a 17th AB patch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

For an answer, check out this post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ost&p=41004

Looks like this fellow was in the 155th Airborne Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, 17th A/B Division.

Officers and men in the AA units wore the insignia of the coastal artillery, since the coast artillery was the branch of service from which most of World War II's antiaircraft battalions were constituted.

Regards,

Stephan