M-41 jacket with Buckle Boots WWII photo's

S1991

Hi all,

Does any of you have photo's of GI's in the ETO wearing a M-41 jacket with buckle boots?

I have never seen any but someone told me it was common that several gear was worn at the last months of the war..

Could it have been worn around December 1944? If so does anyone have photo's of it?

Many thanks in advance !

Silvano

It's a misconception to assume that all GIs were outfitted with the new '43 combat uniform by the war's end. Many soldiered on with the inadequate OD Field Jacket (aka '41) until hostilities ended. Issue of new items such as the '43 boots and jackets etc., was often prioritised so, for example, Airborne units were among the first recipients. So, it's entirely likely...probable even...that some GIs somewhere wore the combination you describe...though unfortunately I can't provide you with photographic evidence at this moment in time. But I'll bet someone can....!

Sabrejet

It's a misconception to assume that all GIs were outfitted with the new '43 combat uniform by the war's end. Many soldiered on with the inadequate OD Field Jacket (aka '41) until hostilities ended. Issue of new items such as the '43 boots and jackets etc., was often prioritised so, for example, Airborne units were among the first recipients. So, it's entirely likely...probable even...that some GIs somewhere wore the combination you describe...though unfortunately I can't provide you with photographic evidence at this moment in time. But I'll bet someone can....!

Sabrejet

Okay thanks.

So it could also be the soldier could have worn a M-41 jacket with M-43 trousers and Buckle Boots? Or such a combination?

Would love it to see some photo's or either links.. I looked at google but can't find any, even looked into some books..

Thanks

I've got a book...one of Shelby Stanton's I think..which shows a GI wearing a '43 jacket over a '41 jacket. All kinds of wierd combinations existed. GIs wore what they could get..particulary in late '44 during the Battle of the Bulge when US supply lines were badly stretched.

Sabrejet

I've got a book...one of Shelby Stanton's I think..which shows a GI wearing a '43 jacket over a '41 jacket. All kinds of wierd combinations existed. GIs wore what they could get..particulary in late '44 during the Battle of the Bulge when US supply lines were badly stretched.

Sabrejet

What is the name of the book of Shelby? Because I have one of it. Perhaps I should look in there..

The soldier I am going to represent is not during the Battle of the Bulge but just prior to it. After the surrender of Fort Jeanne D'Arc near Wiltz in December 1944.

So all kinds of combinations existed.. Hmm well it does give me some freedom on how to represent the soldier..

Thanks !

What is the name of the book of Shelby? Because I have one of it. Perhaps I should look in there..

The soldier I am going to represent is not during the Battle of the Bulge but just prior to it. After the surrender of Fort Jeanne D'Arc near Wiltz in December 1944.

So all kinds of combinations existed.. Hmm well it does give me some freedom on how to represent the soldier..

Thanks !

"US Army Uniforms of WW2"

Sabrejet

francesco-5th

There are no limits to the possible combinations of clothing around the U.S. Army during the period 1944-45.

I could see the combination of each element, we must remember that, at that time, in the U.S. Army, the GI wore what was provided, without any problem.

So, you can represent your soldier as you like.

:thumbsup:

There are no limits to the possible combinations of clothing around the U.S. Army during the period 1944-45.

I could see the combination of each element, we must remember that, at that time, in the U.S. Army, the GI wore what was provided, without any problem.

So, you can represent your soldier as you like.

:thumbsup:

Hmm okay.

Thanks ! I'll keep the boots then and equip him with either M-43 trousers or normal M-37 trousers.

Sabrejet, which page?

Thanks

When the M43 jackets and gear reached units, the M41s were rarely taken back in. Hence they were kept by soldiers as spares or "occasional wear". Though possesing an M43 jacket, a GI might well break out his old M41 when "just a windbreaker" was in order thanks to the weather. Same sort of thing happened in the Airborne -- though having an M43 jacket and field trousers, the paras kept their M42 jump suits and wore them occasionally or under the M43s for a added layer of warmth. And dug them out for special occasions, like going to town for a beer.

Thanks Beast.

So actually everything is possible? Even HBT trousers with M-41 jacket? But I would love to see a combination of Buckle Boots with M-37 trousers and a M-41 jacket. Or buckle boots with M-43 trousers and M-41 jacket or any other combination !

Links are highly appreciated !

Thanks !

post-20979-1294188820.jpg

This may be of interest. The GI to the right of the bazooka (in M41, wearing bandoleer) might be wearing two-buckle boots. The GI at far right is. This is a bazooka class from the 357th Infantry Reg't.

Apparently my album of original photographs got deleted, great. Otherwise I had some pictures for you.

The combination you speak of was actually pretty common. The first unit that comes to mind is the 29th I.D. around September of 1944. They started getting issued double buckles by the mass amount around that time frame, and many solders retained their '41 field jackets. The M1943 combat uniform wasn't always issued with the boots, or in some cases not even at all. Many times the jackets would show up without the trousers or visa versa.

You saw this with a lot of the line units in Southern France or Northwestern Europe anywhere from late August of '44 through November, mostly with the double buckles arriving first.

It also wasn't too uncommon for prewar soldiers to be similarly dressed or even quickly equipped replacements. Especially when an old timer would swap field jackets or deceive a new guy into thinking one was better than the other. Then of course there were new kids who wanted to look salty and would swap that new field jacket for a beat up one.

post-20979-1294188820.jpg

This may be of interest. The GI to the right of the bazooka (in M41, wearing bandoleer) might be wearing two-buckle boots. The GI at far right is. This is a bazooka class from the 357th Infantry Reg't.

Thanks, it does look like Buckle Boots, as well the soldier left of the bazooka?

To bad you can't see exactly if the soldier right of the bazooka is wearing M-37 trousers or any other type of trousers.

Thanks though !

Keep the photo's coming !

post-2843-1294250753.jpg

It looks like the guy third from the right has on double buckle boots, a 41 field jacket and HBT trousers. As you can see most of the guys are putting on the new 43 jackets right overtop of their old 41s. I think the guy second from the right with the double buckle boots has on his 41 jacket inside out. In this photo you can see what the others have said about almost anything goes, Snowpacs, 41s, 43s, HBTs double buckle boots.

Dennis

post-2843-1294251319.jpg

I can't be 100% for sure, but to me it looks like this guy is wearing a 41 jacket, wool trousers and the double buckle boots.

Dennis

Awesome Dennis !

Thanks ! This is exactly what I need ! I love the first photo you've shown.

The GI on the far right is actually wearing a M-43 jacket with still cutter tags on them ! And it does seem like the 3rd one from the right is indeed wearing HBT trousers, or perhaps even M-43 trousers with extra pockets?! :think:

post-2843-1294250753.jpg

It looks like the guy third from the right has on double buckle boots, a 41 field jacket and HBT trousers. As you can see most of the guys are putting on the new 43 jackets right overtop of their old 41s. I think the guy second from the right with the double buckle boots has on his 41 jacket inside out. In this photo you can see what the others have said about almost anything goes, Snowpacs, 41s, 43s, HBTs double buckle boots.

Dennis

Dennis

Great pics.Looks like the guy in your first pic(second from right) has some type of leather sheepskin lined jacket on.An air corps D1??.Pretty intresting he and the other guy are picking off the cutters tags of the 43 jacket.

RON

You're right Ron, I didn't even think of a sheepskin Air Corps jacket, but it sure does look like one. That is a neat photo with lot's of great details.

Re Post #20: The man in the Arctic Field jacket seems to be a TALL person. He may have scrounged up an arctic because the ordinary "windbreaker" M41s were just too SHORT for him -- like not hip length, but navel length.

As the M43 seeped forward in the ETO, from Autumn 44 through Spring 45, a full range of sizes may not have come through to a particular unit.

An 82nd vet told me that he went to Holland in a too small M43 jacket that he had his rigger buddies split up the back and add in a gusset so he could get it on and button it up. They also added knit wristlets to make the sleeves a couple inches longer. He was about 6'2" and, being a weightlifter (and footballer and wrestler), had a 46" chest. The upper arms were tight but the riggers could not handle that alteration.