War Bonds

HOLZI

Excellent examples nice crisp looking war bonds. Of note you have the original owners bond holder, too.

If it were a $100.00 War Bond and you are the original owner or beneficiary named on the bond it would be worth over $440.00 dollars. I have about $3000.00 in Defense, War and Victory Bonds that I can never redeem since I am not any legal heir to the Bonds.

I once blabbed to the U.S. Treasury that I had a $100.00 dollar WWII era Bond and could they help me identify some sort of anomaly on it? They said you better give it to us since you are not the legal owner. Well that's another story but it did end that I did not give the U.S.Treasury that bond from my collection to them!

KEF

Also I have a few photos on War Bonds I added recently under the the Displays Forum section. Take a look and let me know what you think. You know the War Bond program was the biggest advertising campaign in history.

KEF

Capt.Confederacy
I had posted this in latest finds earlier and nobody has looked at it yet.

Maybe someone here will appreciate them.

Thanks for posting them. I like Homefront material and have never run across a bond before. (I've found the stamps, posters, and holders for bonds but never the bonds themselves.)

Excellent examples nice crisp looking war bonds. Of note you have the original owners bond holder, too.

Thanks for the kind words.

I failed to mention that these are my mother's bonds. I was VERY happy to add them to my collection!

Ooops! I think that I waited too long to get started!. Dated 1942 on back cover. Before they were called War Bonds?? Al Hirschler in Dallas. :pinch:

post-12790-1294099852.jpg

post-12790-1294099877.jpg

post-12790-1294099908.jpg

Robswashashore

I remember my mother had a shoebox full of them that she collected over the course of the war and she didn't cash them in until about 1968!

Your post reminded me that I have an original ‘bulletin board’ (9” x 12 ¾”) size poster encouraging buying bonds. The $200 bond in the lower right corner appears to have FDRs’ image on it. Could an in-office president do that?

Tinman

post-20555-1294340551.jpg

My mother just cashed in a lot of these that belonged to her parents and grandparents - she got more than $25k for the total. I was shocked that they had that much money tied up in bonds that had stopped maturing decades ago.

I still buy Savings Bonds or did since the U.S. TREASURY DEPT stopped payroll deduction from employees payroll. In the current bond program they sent this note with the new bonds about cashing in old bonds, bonds 30 years and older.

post-9627-1294617830.jpg

Also if forum members don't think I'm trying to go over the top in posting more photos from collection, I'd like to add a few more relevant War Bond photos. The photos show America's posture towards world events revealed in the way they promoted the U.S. SAVINGS BONDS programs. Prewar "Defense Bonds", post Pearl Harbor "War Bonds" and late war, the Allies will be victorious and post war "Victory Bonds" (War Bonds stamped Victory Loan Bonds)

I have never participated in a forum before I don't want to be all about posting photos and bragging about my collection. I don't want to be a

"can you top this" participant. I want to have relevant comments and show an appreciation of other members photos and comments. Add to their comments not distract from them.

I have seen great and impressive photos and comments all across these U.S. Militaria forums and have learned there's a lot more out there than meets the eye (photos)

KEF

Also if forum members don't think I'm trying to go over the top in posting more photos from collection, I'd like to add a few more relevant War Bond photos. The photos show America's posture towards world events revealed in the way they promoted the U.S. SAVINGS BONDS programs. Prewar "Defense Bonds", post Pearl Harbor "War Bonds" and late war, the Allies will be victorious and post war "Victory Bonds" (War Bonds stamped Victory Loan Bonds)

post-9627-1294617961.jpg

War Bonds came in two sizes, large format (square) Defense Bonds and early War Bonds

and smaller format (rectangular) for mid to late and post WWII

post-9627-1294619075.jpg

The progression of Savings Bonds reflected in the envelopes the Bonds came in.

Note Defense crossed out and RPH. Has 3 of my favorite slogans too!

post-9627-1294619829.jpg

Also the War Stamp Albums show the change in American military stance.

Note WAR superimposed over Defense Stamps and Bonds.

The U.S. Dept. of Treasury told me War Stamps are still considered legal tinder at their face value,

The 10,25,50 cents and $1.00 and $5.00 are worth that to who ever possess them.

Where as Defense & War Bonds are only valuable to the original owner, co-owner/beneficiary, or heir to their estates.

My WAR BONDS are only collectibles. This also is what I told the U.S. Treasury when I told them I had War Bonds.

But that's another story...

A previous post from hirsca shows where the War Stamps are to be attached.

post-9627-1294621131.jpg

Greeting Birthday Christmas cards. Children had their own War Stamp programs directed to them from the U.S. Treasury and schools.

They sold and collected millions in War Stamps along with the scrap food waste drives.

post-9627-1294624874.jpg

And lastly my favorite War Stamp Album

The B-17 Flying Fortress

The nose looks like a mix of the B-24, B-25 along with B-17

Thanks for looking KEF

(PS If I'm overdoing it with the photos let me know)

post-9627-1294625779.jpg

• 2 years later...