137 replies to this topic

#126 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 528
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

here's another Ike worn during the early occupation period. Note the hand-painted DI's and the enameled on metal ribbons! Needless, to say, these are quite uncommon.

Here's an intereting ribbon bar. The individual ribbons are made of colored embroidery thread -- similar work is done in the Far East today.

The DI's are for the 3rd Infantry. The right side sleeve is for the 106th ID. The 3rd replace one of the regiments that surrendered during the Battle of the Bulge.
The 3rd did not see enough combat later to qualify for the CIB.

Attached Images

• 133_3354_2_.jpg

#127 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

Here's an intereting ribbon bar. The individual ribbons are made of colored embroidery thread -- similar work is done in the Far East today.

The DI's are for the 3rd Infantry. The right side sleeve is for the 106th ID. The 3rd replace one of the regiments that surrendered during the Battle of the Bulge.
The 3rd did not see enough combat later to qualify for the CIB.

And finally, at least for today, here is an German occupation ribbon bar. The bar itself is domed (?) plastic with a brass backing. The insignia, both DI and collar, is for 6th Infantry -- Berlin Brigade.

Attached Images

• 133_3352_2_.jpg

#128 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

Here is the ribbon set of a 45th Div Medic. The Ike is custom made in Kansas City-- the DI's are German-made and hand painted. I am not sure why the COmbat Medic Badge is on the pocket flap and not above the ribbons.

Say Gil, isn't that a 36th Division "T" patch on the left shoulder?
Nice looking uniform ! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#129 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

Say Gil, isn't that a 36th Division "T" patch on the left shoulder?
Nice looking uniform ! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

My error

#130 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 11,856 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

Sewn on an infantry officer's ike jacket!

Attached Images

• Picture_176.jpg

#131 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 387
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

Here is a large air-force rack that I received with a huge lot of ribbon bars. Can anyone ID the lower middle ribbon? It is light blue in color and has a circular medallion with the likeness of a soldier in the center.

That is a Venuzuela ribbon. I will get back to you on exactly what it is. I have to look it up in my collection of Ven. ribbons
4starchris

#132 RAL

RAL
  • Members
    • Member ID: 385
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

Here's a set. A career naval officer of the fighter pilot variety, retired as a Rear Admiral after 33 years.

WNL_custom_ribbon_bar_better.jpg

#133 Guest_Richman_*

Guest_Richman_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 248

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

Just curious, where are they made in the Far East now? I haven't seen them.

#134 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

Major Ernest "Kayo" Murphy - 82nd Airborne - Sheriff Osceola County Florida

Attached Images

• Murphy_Ribbons.JPG

#135 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,216
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

Found some photos I took at Patriots Point a few years ago

1) Col. Charles P. Murray

2) Capt. Donald K. Ross USN

3) USS Yorktown

Bill

Attached Images

• Murray_Uniform.JPG
  • Ross_Uniform.JPG
  • Yorktown_5.JPG

#136 Bank Vault

Bank Vault

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 569
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

Well boys I am impresed by many of them fruit salads. But I cannot lie, I dont have a bar worth showing off, just a basic WW2 Euro theatre and my CAP ribbons. But I do have a story for you all. Last summer right after church got out and I walked out the door and I was walking out in the grass, I looked down to scan the ground, might find a penny or two you know. Well I looked down and say what appeared to be a ribbon, so I bent over and picked it up. Sure enough, a purple heart ribbon with two oak leaf clasps, I thought well I should keep this then said no, who ever lost this must miss it, as the clasps were well worn and you could see it had been marched many miles. So I walked in the church up to pastor and said "Pastor do we have any purple heart veterans of this church?" and he said that we do, and as a matter of a fact a member that just passed won 3 purple hearts in the Army Air Corp in WW2. So I said then this is probably his and haned him the ribbon and he looked at it and exclaimed and asked where I found it and I told him. Well he walked over to the widow and gave it to her and she smiled and thanked us both. A month or two passed and I walked up to her one day and greeted her in the usual way people do and made conversation, ten it dawned on me to ask her about it, turns out it wasn't her recently deceased husband's but rather her son's purple heart ribbon who earned 3 purple hearts in Vietnam. You see when they had his funeral at the church they had many veterans and active duty military in dress uniforms, and anyone that has wore ribbons know that sometimes they fall off. But what are the odds of that working the way it did, and not only that but both father and son earning 3 purple hearts each. I hope you all have enjoyed my story as much as I enjoyed the fruit salads, I guarentee that story is 100 percent genuine with nothing made up.

#137 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 468
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

#138 34BDQ

34BDQ
  • Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Charles Lamb, UNPIK.

Attached Images

• Charles C. LAMB.jpg
  • AAM 006.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic