5 replies to this topic

#1 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:51 PM

Dress_H_H_OBV.JPG
This emblem is on a hat in my collection. I took it off the other day and was surprised to see how it is marked. Comments? S/F Bob
Dress_H_H_REV.JPG

BTW.....I did some net searches for Hilborn-Hamburger and found that they are still in business and now located in Passaic, NJ. Interestingly, In May of this year they were fined $251,000 in Federal Court for making substandard military insignia! I was wondering whether or not they might be cooperative in answering questions about the old days and perhaps helping us understand their 1920s/1930s Hallmarks and the acquistion of the Imperial brand. Anybody near Passaic NJ willing to take a shot? Hmmmmm?
Bob

Dress_H_H_REV_CU_HM.JPG

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 30 September 2007 - 06:45 AM.
photo realignment

#2 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,628 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

I had actually looked up their mailing address last week and started creating some forum letterhead so I could write them a letter asking that same question.

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 30 September 2007 - 06:46 AM.
quotes

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:36 PM

Excellent idea! I doubt they will have much, most companies don't seem to have kept very good records of that type of thing it seems. I also collect pipes and it is often damn hard to date them, even if the company has records they often kept using old stamps for a while after new ones came out.

It's interesting to see the H's outside of the eagle with that early and pre-WW2 rope fouling configuration. I'm very interested in seeing what H&H might have to say.

Jeremiah

#4 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

Bob,

Just goes to show that when you think you might be getting a handle on H-H hallmarks, this hallmark pops up on a dress emblem. Totally out of place! For those who aren't aware of this, this is the hallmark, with the H-H outside and below the eagle, that is always found on and associated with H-H bronze service emblems of this type. Here is the proof that Hillborn and Hamburger used a much more complicated hallmarking system than any of us realized.

Maybe we're all overthinking the H-H hallmarking system and it was something as simple as using the hallmark stamp that was closest to the workbench? http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

Kurt A lives in NJ. Maybe he can visit and find out if H-H kept their old records. It will be interesting to see what comes of that.

Super nice emblem and hallmark, Bob!

s/f, Gary

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

Now that's a good one... Anyway, at some point in the future we may very well end up copying many of these "hallmarks" and refitting them into a new format for the Hallmarks section of the Reference area... just so that we can have a clean "catalog" so to speak w/o the other clutter associated with a thread? http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 30 September 2007 - 06:43 AM.
quotes

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users