Loyal Legion Boxed Medal & Silk

SARGE

Gentlemen,

For your viewing pleasure, here is a boxed and identified Loyal Legion of the United States medal and a tobacco silk depicitng the medal.

Loyal_Legion_medal_and_silk.JPG

The medal is numbered and accompanied by the certificate for Major Edmund Underwood to his son Champlin. Maj. Edmund Underwood served in the 4th US Infantry in 1848, 3rd US Infantry in 1853, 11th US Infantry in 1856, and in the 18th US Infantry during the Civil War. He died of lung disease contracted during active service on 5 September 1863.

Closeup view of the reverse of the medal.

Loyal_Legion_medal_reverse.JPG

Closeup view of the tobacco silk representing the medal.

Loyal_Legion_silk.JPG

Sarge,

That is a spectacular medal. I do not yet have one in my collection. If I did, though, I could only hope for one in a condition as good as this one! Do you have a scan of its certificate? I've never seen one.

Kevin

Kevin,

This really is an outstanding medal. The detail is wonderful and the the enamel and gilt are about perfect. Notice that the rays between the arms of the crosses are all separated.

I will try to get a scan of the paperwork. It is pretty faded and light.

Kevin,

Here is a scan of one side of the paperwork. The other is too light to copy worth a hoot. Notice this has the number of the medal and some of the information.

Loomis_LL_Cert.jpg