A2 jacket 568th BS/390th BG

doyler

Posting this jacket after the discussions on Pauls postsing of his A2 and B15 jackets.

I purchased this jacket several years ago along with an officers blouse,Air Medal,DFC,cap and photo of the oiginal owner wearing the jacket.The items were purchased from a collector/dealer who bought them from the niece of the veteran.The jacket had seen better days.The niece had stated the jacket had hung in a garage for years.When I recieved the jacket it was quite dry and had some damage to the leather shell.Lots of loss to the overall finnish of the leather.There were two areas with holes in the leather.I decided to try and stop the areas from tearing further.One area on the sleeve looked almost burned or charred.THe other area was on the back of the jacket under the left shoulder area.I located some leather scraps and glue at a Tandy Leather store.I didnt really know if the repairs would work and normally I do not like to alter or mess with uniforms/jackets.I cut the leather a bit over sized,worked it in under the damaged areas and proceeded to glue the pieces in place.after letting the jacket dry over a couple days I opted to lightly clean it with liquid glycerin saddle soap.I did this a couple times but I havent touched the leather in several years.I also had written the 390th BG Associaon and Museum ans was able to confirm an ID on the man and he was a pilot assigned to the group.For better or worse here is the end results...

"EL LOBO"

post-342-1293780302.jpg

Damage left sleeve with new leather placed under damaged area.Was kinda hard to get it to set as the damage is on a crease in the leather.

post-342-1293780441.jpg

Nice jacket Ron. I think you did a very good job stabilizing the jacket. Nice work.

JD

Thanks JD.Shes pretty rough.

Actually picked this up at one of Bobs shows back when he had them at the Oscar Johnson Ice Arena.568th patch is painted on canvas.I have another 568th jacket and I liked this one as both of the original owners had been from Iowa.

Rd

Nice job Ron. That's a great lookin' "been there" A2 with provenance...and a gen-u-ine crusher to boot! What more could a collector want?!

Ian :thumbsup:

Nice job Ron. That's a great lookin' "been there" A2 with provenance...and a gen-u-ine crusher to boot! What more could a collector want?!

Thanks Ian.

I do have a letter from the 390th museum I should look up.I had sent them a picture of the jacket for their records.They can provide mission searches too for a fee.I had written them prior to the days of me being a computor "genious" :blink:

Nice save! Awesome to have a shot of him wearing it.

What kind of glycerin soap did you use?

Dave

KC

Thanks Dave

Here is what I used.LCI brand.It was the only avaiable in our area.Our local Shoppers Supply(Farm Store)had it and its also at some western supply places.Lable says its made in Dallas.Had some one recommend this one time.It will darken new leather or russet leather thats never been used/wet when sprayed directly on.

RON

post-342-1293822763.jpg

The cap has a thicker two layer leather visor.Dont think its really a chrusher just formed into one from heavy use :thumbsup:

RD

Very nice restoration/repair on a great jacket RD! I like it a lot.....has lots of character. :thumbsup:

Thanks B

She does have a lot of miles on her.I try to keep the jacket flat.I dont hang it up on a hanger.I did use it once in a display laid flat in a case and once on a form.Being a 44 some forms are a bit small for it.I do hasve a size 50 that needs to be restored.Got it from a guy who use to wear it at our fleamarket.Was nice when I first saw it.He kinda trashed it.He got it at a yard sale for $1.Several years went by and he remembered my dad and wanted to know if I still bought jackets.Leather rank and the painting really suffered.Had Leather LTC rank on it and its long gone :pinch: Needs work and I may send it out sometime for a refurb.

RD

Very nice Ron, I love it when you have a photo with the jacket being worn. It doesn't get any better, thanks for sharing. Jon

Thanks.

Not always able to get a picture and was a bit of a gamble when I bought it.I had no name only initials in the uniform jacket,picture and the sellers story to go by.THe 390th matched the initials to several of guys in the group.One I recall was a gunner.But eventually with the photo of the jacket they found a pilot who matched.

Thanks for the glycerin tip - may try it.

And don't be fooled. I have service caps with two-piece visors that are the very definition of a period crusher cap. "50-Mission Crusher"? Not likely on mine but certainly crushed in the day for the purpose needed as is yours. IMO, much more rare than a Flighter or Flight Weight. AND you have pictorial provenance.

I'm sure you saw my rant on the Service cap crusher thread about this. Remember, what came first? The crusher, or the manufactured "crusher"

Also remember, Bancroft Flighters were worn by all, real, functional crushers were worn in action!!

Please post more pics of your other AAF stuff like this. Love it!

Dave

Thanks JD.Shes pretty rough.

Actually picked this up at one of Bobs shows back when he had them at the Oscar Johnson Ice Arena.568th patch is painted on canvas.I have another 568th jacket and I liked this one as both of the original owners had been from Iowa.

Rd

Nice. You don't see many A-2's at that show anymore. Since it moved to the fairgrounds it has been hit and miss for me. Oddly enough, I bought a nice 390th BG painted A-2 from a guy I met at Bobs show a couple years back.

JD

Nice. You don't see many A-2's at that show anymore. Since it moved to the fairgrounds it has been hit and miss for me. Oddly enough, I bought a nice 390th BG painted A-2 from a guy I met at Bobs show a couple years back.

JD

Thats great.My other 568th/390th has a great story.He was a pilot,shot down,ended up in Switzerland and got out.Havent fully researched it but I got it at an estate sale.Spoke with his brother there and they had burned his uniforms prior to the sale as he said no one could wear them.Fun sale as their mother was there.She was 93 and just moving to an apartment.Had written his wife in arizona and she had sent me some wings and rank.I was told she had a book that told all about him.Figured it must be the unit history.I finally got a reprint of the history on line a couple years ago.I use to forward copies of letters to the brother when I found out something as I had posteda inquiry in the *th AAF News to see if anyone knew or remembered him.

RON

Ron,

Very good job on both the restoration of the jacket and research on the "The Wolf" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I estimated 38 missions on the back of his jacket :think: and he looks like a "corn feed farm boy from Iowa". Look forward to seeing more about him and thanks for posting it hear.

John

• 7 years later...

Ron,

Very good job on both the restoration of the jacket and research on the "The Wolf" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I estimated 38 missions on the back of his jacket :think: and he looks like a "corn feed farm boy from Iowa". Look forward to seeing more about him and thanks for posting it hear.

John

Lol

Thanks John.

Hope all is well.

May have to post a couple more photos

skypilot6670

Nice A2 and a great job of stabilizing . I’d like to add a footnote,I don’t think it was mentioned ,if so I apologize. When using leather creams , cleaners or soaps around brass ,silver or any other metal that you wish to preserve the age patination , test them first on a like substitute.I once blotched up a Cav. sword counter guard while trying to preserve the leather handle wrap. The cream I was using removed the patina everywhere it touched. Preservation is very much a part of what we are about but use care. Many times answers are available right here. Nice job Ron and thanks for showing more of your great collection. Mike

Nice A2 and a great job of stabilizing . I’d like to add a footnote,I don’t think it was mentioned ,if so I apologize. When using leather creams , cleaners or soaps around brass ,silver or any other metal that you wish to preserve the age patination , test them first on a like substitute.I once blotched up a Cav. sword counter guard while trying to preserve the leather handle wrap. The cream I was using removed the patina everywhere it touched. Preservation is very much a part of what we are about but use care. Many times answers are available right here. Nice job Ron and thanks for showing more of your great collection. Mike

Thanks Mike for looking and adding your comment with the sword experience.

I tend to be a "less is more" type guy.Its still pretty frail but hope it keeps it from further damage.Im guessing it spent a lot of time in a garage or basement.