Toy guns...time for some nostalgia?

Sabrejet

willysmb44
These aren't that old, but they are 20 years apart! The top M9 was sold in 1991 after Desert Storm while the bottom one I bought for my son last year. They make sounds, and I remember a pilot who carried one painted black in his holster in the field during FTXs so he didn't have to bother going to the armory to sign his M9 out.
I have one of the daisy "soft air" M-9s that used a airsoft BB inside a plastic carrtidge. They're very good looking, solid plastic and pretty sturdy.

In the fall of 2000, we had a company change of command ceremony and I was the company XO at the time (that position is in command of the troops in the formation). I was normally armed with an M-16A2 but I needed to sign out an M-9. Instead, I just signed out a holster and stuffed the toy into it. Nobody could tell the difference. Afterward, everyone else had to walk back to the arms room to turn in their weapons, but I could hop into my own SUV and drive over. That was half out of laziness and half out of expedience because I needed to get back to the reception at Battalion HQ ASAP after the formation was released.

I can say that to this day, I do still own what I carried in the holster on active duty once, even if it wasn't a real working firearm.

When I was a young pup, I received for Christmas a facsimile of a bomber machine gun turret. It had twin machine guns with a short belt of flexible rubber bullets that fed through the mgs when the trigger was depressed. It was battery operated, and the trigger mechanism was similar to .50 cal grips. The grips were not attached to the mgs themselves but attached behind them on a base. You twisted the grips right and left to pivot the mgs. Also, there was a clear plastic half-canopy surrounding the mgs. I think it probably came out around the time of the 12 O'clock High series airing on the TV.

Have no idea what ever happened to that toy, but I wish I had it. Anyone else remember having one of these. Any pics???? Shot down quite a few FW's and Me's off my back porch with that!!

I also remember my cousin having the Mattel Winchester rifle, six-gun and belt buckle derringer. They were the ultimate in cowboy guns. They had cartridges made of brass and plastic bullets that "snapped together". You would affix a special self-adhesive cap, if I remember they were called "greenies", on the rear of the cartridge, load up your guns and you would fire the bullets at the "indians". The belt-buckle derringer was adjusted so that when you pushed out your stomach the derringer would flip out and fire the bullet. Man, was I ever so jealous of my cousin.

When I was a young pup, I received for Christmas a facsimile of a bomber machine gun turret. It had twin machine guns with a short belt of flexible rubber bullets that fed through the mgs when the trigger was depressed. It was battery operated, and the trigger mechanism was similar to .50 cal grips. The grips were not attached to the mgs themselves but attached behind them on a base. You twisted the grips right and left to pivot the mgs. Also, there was a clear plastic half-canopy surrounding the mgs. I think it probably came out around the time of the 12 O'clock High series airing on the TV.

Have no idea what ever happened to that toy, but I wish I had it. Anyone else remember having one of these. Any pics???? Shot down quite a few FW's and Me's off my back porch with that!!

I also remember my cousin having the Mattel Winchester rifle, six-gun and belt buckle derringer. They were the ultimate in cowboy guns. They had cartridges made of brass and plastic bullets that "snapped together". You would affix a special self-adhesive cap, if I remember they were called "greenies", on the rear of the cartridge, load up your guns and you would fire the bullets at the "indians". The belt-buckle derringer was adjusted so that when you pushed out your stomach the derringer would flip out and fire the bullet. Man, was I ever so jealous of my cousin.

A machine gun turret?? Man, that would have been great!!

I always thought the belt buckle derringer came out after Wild, Wild West first aired. But looking on eBay, it looks like it was a late 50s early 60s toy. Was this the one you remembered?

post-203-1337107676.jpg

That appears to be it!! Not quite as I remembered, but hey, its been 50 yrs. Instructions on box refer to "no hands" firing, greenie stik-m caps, shells and bullets. Yep, I would say so!!!

Your idea of looking on ebay for old toy guns made the lightbulb go off, and just for sh**s and giggles, I searched for battery operated machine guns and found an old ad for the machine gun turret. It was manufactured by REMCO and it was a "Battery operated electronic B-52 turret", cost of $13.98. The ad is pretty small on the page, but it is pretty much like I remembered. I will see if I can post the ad.

post-8041-1337116211.jpg

I wonder if this will strike a chord with any of you? Back in the 60s I had an M-14 rifle, quite well detailed and probably about half the actual size. It took a couple of batteries in the stock and when the trigger was pulled it made the necessary "Rat-tat-tat!" and IIRC emitted some sparks by way of a muzzle flash. I'm pretty sure it must've been an American import (Mattel maybe? :think: ) Does anyone recall such a toy?

Absolutely remember, I had one also!! Had the red piece of plastic on the muzzle that moved in and out when you pulled the trigger. This was before the red/orange end pieces to make people aware that the gun was a toy, the red piece moving in and out was to simulate muzle flash. I had thought that it was 1:1 scale, but maybe it just seemed that way because I was so young. I do remember taping a real bayonet to the muzzle of mine and going on "night" patrols, didnt want to alert any nearby enemy by using ammo(rat tat tat). That bayonet was the start of my militaria collecting.

Here are two pics of the actual B-52 turrets referenced above:

post-8041-1337120404.jpg post-8041-1337120425.jpg

Absolutely remember, I had one also!! Had the red piece of plastic on the muzzle that moved in and out when you pulled the trigger. This was before the red/orange end pieces to make people aware that the gun was a toy, the red piece moving in and out was to simulate muzle flash. I had thought that it was 1:1 scale, but maybe it just seemed that way because I was so young. I do remember taping a real bayonet to the muzzle of mine and going on "night" patrols, didnt want to alert any nearby enemy by using ammo(rat tat tat). That bayonet was the start of my militaria collecting.

Here are two pics of the actual B-52 turrets referenced above:

post-8041-1337120404.jpg post-8041-1337120425.jpg

You are right! It wasn't sparks...it was a red plastic tip on the barrel which, as you say, went in and out when the trigger was pulled. Thanks for that nostalgic reminder! :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

I have actually seen a pink glock.It was a glock that was duracoated for a woman's concealed carry pistol.

This is what today's kids have....pink Glock anyone!? (That's progress?)

post-8022-1293472039.jpg

Sabrejet :pinch:

I have actually seen a pink glock.It was a glock that was duracoated for a woman's concealed carry pistol.

My daughter had a pink revolver... .38 caliber I believe. The metal didn't look coated though... its like the alloy itself was tinted pink.

Wayne

• 9 years later...
  • 2 months later...
wartimecollectables.com
On 12/27/2010 at 7:39 AM, Sabrejet said:

Here's the 1960 Mattel Winchester I mentioned previously, plus the "Johnny Eagle" MI4 from also from the 60s.

post-8022-1293453488.jpg post-8022-1293453466.jpg

Sabrejet :packin heat:

Great stuff!I hadn't seen the M14 before.

This is a great thread! I dug out most of my childhood toy guns that survived the many, many "battles" and "wars" I fought as a kid!  The Mattel Fanner Fifty's were an early favorite, but I never cared much for the plastic holster-belt set they came with. They show a lot of wear and are missing a few parts too. I recall having one of the massive Hubley Colt 1860 nickel with gold plated cylinder too, but alas, it disappeared into the mysterious fog of time!  I also liked the small or minature guns too, so a few of them left too. The 2 bayonets came a lot later, one made in the USA is cast metal and the other was made in Germany of aluminum blade with real wood grips. Copies of M-1905 I think. I'll add a few more as time allows.

DSCN1155.JPG

DSCN1147.JPG

DSCN1148.JPG

DSCN1150-1.JPG

DSCN1152-1.JPG

DSCN1153-1.JPG

2 minutes ago, GWS said:

This is a great thread! I dug out most of my childhood toy guns that survived the many, many "battles" and "wars" I fought as a kid!  The Mattel Fanner Fifty's were an early favorite, but I never cared much for the plastic holster-belt set they came with. They show a lot of wear and are missing a few parts too. I recall having one of the massive Hubley Colt 1860 nickel with gold plated cylinder too, but alas, it disappeared into the mysterious fog of time!  I also liked the small or minature guns too, so a few of them left too. The 2 bayonets came a lot later, one made in the USA is cast metal and the other was made in Germany of aluminum blade with real wood grips. Copies of M-1905 I think. I'll add a few more as time allows.

DSCN1155.JPG

DSCN1147.JPG

DSCN1148.JPG

DSCN1150-1.JPG

DSCN1152-1.JPG

DSCN1153-1.JPG

those bayonets are awesome 

A few more from the old days.  The Nichols Stallion 45 had to be my ultimate "cowboy gun" as it was a 1:1 full size capgun with "real" metal "bullets and a real leather belt/holster.  Sadly, I did not have one of these in my childhood arsenal! Yes, I was a deprived child!😁  I picked this outfit up some 20 years ago by accident at a sale to buy a WW1 aviator's trunk.  I still don't know which item I appreciate more today, the trunk or the capgun!  For a size comparison, I placed it next to a real Colt SAA circa 1890. It's definitely full-sized. The three deringer's  represent some of the best capgun mfgs of the period: Hubley, Nichols and Marx. The Hubley is sans grips. Finally, while not a capgun, the last is a cap grenade, patented by Callen Mfg. in 1949.  Callen diecasting is still in business! Enjoy.

DSCN1157-1.JPG

DSCN1159.JPG

DSCN1161.JPG

DSCN1164.JPG

DSCN1167-1.JPG

DSCN1169-2.JPG

Marx did make neat stuff. I think I got it about 1960-62. I found an advertisement for it a while back. I'll look for the pic. 

Edit to add.  It still shoots great but I'm afraid to shoot it much or I might break it. 

On 12/28/2021 at 6:48 PM, SKIPH said:

I had a Parris Trainer as a kid in the 50s. SKIP

A big shout out thanks to Skip for spotting this Kadet rubber bayonet IMG_0189.jpg.b5db2c9d4e5f31b82da95520b02964e0.jpgfor sale.  I purchased it and gave it to my grandson to add to the rifle.  Needless to say he was thrilled (his 6 year old sister, not so much).  Thanks again Skip.

IMG_0188.jpg.823c01597f4b4349f35c7cd07ec9af2c.jpg

46 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I'll take two of each please! 😉

I'm greedy, an even dozen of everything on that page please!  What a wonderful period that was for brats like us!